Menu

Can you proofread this letter? Especially if you are a nurse?

I am writing a letter of complaint and want to be sure it's right. Can you take a look?

Also, I am considering removing what I highlighted in blue. The PA did not do a good job (should have put in at least one more stitch, and was very rough, pulling and tugging a lot), but I am angriest about the incompetent EMT and wonder if I should focus on him.

Here's the letter:

I am writing regarding the substandard care I received in the emergency room at NAME OF HOSPITAL on the evening of Friday, July 6.

I had a small cut near the first knuckle of the middle finger on my right hand. When I arrived there were hardly any people at the ER. I was able to see a triage nurse within ten minutes, who did the initial screening in a competent and friendly manner. I appreciated both her care as well as the speed with which I was put in a room.

The woman who took care of my insurance information and paperwork was also competent, friendly, and quick.

I understand that my wound was small and not the highest priority. Even so, I was surprised at how long it took to have the stitches done. The physician’s assistant who did the stitches did so with a great deal of tugging and impatience. Once finished with the stitches, I waited in the room with my hand on the table, unwrapped, for forty-five minutes before a woman came in the room and asked if I was just about ready to leave. I responded that I was waiting to be bandaged. She offered to take care of my hand, and rummaged through some of the drawers in the room. She then asked a gentleman to get a larger bandage.

When the gentleman returned I recognized him as the same man who had earlier washed the wound. I do not remember his name, but he had told me he is an EMT and that he was from Colombia. He mashed a large bandaid down over my two middle fingers and told me I was ready to go. I expressed some surprise that he had not used gauze. He said if I wanted gauze he would have to go get some. At that point I had been there quite some time and had a child waiting for me to pick her up, so I said I would just leave. I stopped in the restroom first, and there I realized that the bandaid adhesive was actually on the wound itself.

The bandaid adhesive was ON the wound itself.

There was enough bacitracin gel on my finger so that I was able to carefully ease the bandaid off. I was quite concerned about the effects if I were to leave the bandaid as is, sticking to the wound. I saw the EMT in the hall and told him that I was unhappy because the adhesive was on the wound and that I would need my finger wrapped again.

His wrapping of my finger was badly done as well. He tried to insist that he could not wrap just the finger with the wound—he tried to wrap my two fingers together without first placing a sterile pad between the two fingers. Since this cut reached around my finger this type of wrapping would have had the wound, and the stitches, in direct contact with the skin of the finger next to it. The EMT also did not put on any more bacitracin even though most of it had wiped off onto the original bandaid. I insisted that he place an additional pad between the two fingers before wrapping. He did so with obvious irritation.

I was standing quietly, not speaking, as he finished wrapping my hand. At no point did I raise my voice or speak rudely. As the EMT was wrapping my hand he looked at my face and saw that I was upset. He then told me, in some outrage, “Don’t be mad!†and then told me that they “have a lot of things we have to be doing here.†I asked him not to lecture me and left.

The problems are these:

--An EMT who bandages wounds in this fashion is incompetent and should not be bandaging patients. Putting adhesive right ON the wound? Not putting a sterile pad on the wound??

--The wound is right by the first knuckle. I should have been given a splint to prevent movement of the knuckle from splitting the stitches and/or further traumatizing the wound, especially considering this is my dominant hand. (When I got home I splinted it with a popsicle stick. My doctor later confirmed the need to keep the finger splinted.)

--The way the EMT spoke to me, after having demonstrated such incompetence, was unprofessional and disrespectful. He did not at any stage apologize for his poor bandaging, but demonstrated impatience and frustration towards me.

Do EMT's usually provide care in the hospital setting? I thought they were usually only active in the pre-hospital sphere? Given that, do you know if the hospital was dealing with an unusual influx of either many patients or particularly critical ones? Or do they have EMTs on staff to give in-hospital care? That seems strange to me.

EMT's have a wide range of training levels and experience, from very basic to quite advanced. Some are paid, some are volunteer.

If I were you, I think I'd express my concern more from a gently spoken "this may need to be thought through for the future, because it didn't go well for me, I know he was trying to help, but he didn't do a good job" position than one more of complaint, unless you know more about the circumstances surrounding having an EMT (possibly volunteer?) work on you while in the hospital.

Do EMT's usually provide care in the hospital setting? I thought they were usually only active in the pre-hospital sphere? Given that, do you know if the hospital was dealing with an unusual influx of either many patients or particularly critical ones? Or do they have EMTs on staff to give in-hospital care? That seems strange to me.

EMT's have a wide range of training levels and experience, from very basic to quite advanced. Some are paid, some are volunteer.

If I were you, I think I'd express my concern more from a gently spoken "this may need to be thought through for the future, because it didn't go well for me, I know he was trying to help, but he didn't do a good job" position than one more of complaint, unless you know more about the circumstances surrounding having an EMT (possibly volunteer?) work on you while in the hospital.

I have no idea why they had an EMT working and I don't know how I would go about finding that information. I don't care if he was a volunteer or not. To me that's even more reason to take them to task--they are certainly going to charge me handsomely for the service. Plus what if Mr. Incompetent bandages someone else? He shouldn't be there. I am not trained at all but I knew better than he did.

Not trying to argue, just kind of puzzled about finding out more about his circumstances???

I have no idea why they had an EMT working and I don't know how I would go about finding that information. I don't care if he was a volunteer or not. To me that's even more reason to take them to task--they are certainly going to charge me handsomely for the service. Plus what if Mr. Incompetent bandages someone else? He shouldn't be there. I am not trained at all but I knew better than he did.

Not trying to argue, just kind of puzzled about finding out more about his circumstances???

I totally agree that the hospital needs to know that this guy wasn't up to snuff. I was thinking, though, that there's a difference between a normal employee doing something badly on an average day, and a possibly volunteer EMT stepping in and doing his best to help with a relatively minor need because everyone else is busy with the victims of a major car wreck or something.

In either case, the EMT did a poor job, and management needs to know about it. But if the scenario was the second, they might hear your concerns better if the letter's tone was more "thanks for everything, there was a small problem, just wanted to bring it to your attention" vs. a more angry tone.

I think what you wrote is a good start, but I think it will be more effective if 1) you beef up what went right (the part in the beginning), 2) you take the anger out of the middle, 3) you add in another paragraph at the bottom expressing appreciation for the work these folks do on a daily basis and a sense that you know your issue is small in the big picture of what they are dealing with. I was taught to write "sandwich letters" - say something nice, then express your concern, then say something else nice. I think it makes for a letter that's more likely to be "heard" and acted upon.

You asked for input, so I'm sharing it, but do feel free to ignore it if you don't agree!!!

Because EMTs are trained as first responders with concentrated skills in sustaining life, so having him do minor wound care sounds odd and very probably outside his expertise. Hence Pauline inquiring whether the ER was backlogged to have this gentleman work on you.

Beck

Because EMTs are trained as first responders with concentrated skills in sustaining life, so having him do minor wound care sounds odd and very probably outside his expertise. Hence Pauline inquiring whether the ER was backlogged to have this gentleman work on you.

Beck

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Sorry for being so inarticulate!

Just that if they were in a total crunch with a serious influx of critical patients, and the EMT was just trying to help (albeit ineptly and possibly inappropriately given his normal scope of practice), some grace might be in order, though it's still important to give them the feedback.

As an EMT and ED Nurse PLEASE send this note and if possible with more details regarding the entire situation the chief of the ED, Nurse Manager of the ED, hospital administrator and hospital ombudsman/patient advocate needs to know about this situation.

a) Things can get hairy in an ED but that is no excuse for any patient to not receive competent quality care. I have apologized to patients for delayed waits, etc explaining higher priority patients arriving etc.

b) An EMT can not practice inside a hospital, they can not touch the patients other than to transfer care. The patient becomes the responsibility of the ED when you arrive at the facility. The only way that an EMT can provide care in an ED is if they are also trained and certified as a Certified Nursing Assistant.

c) It is well within the scope of an EMT or Certified Nursing Assistant to provide basic bandaging and wound care. A small finger laceration as you describe should be a simple wound to bandage: apply antibiotic ointment, cover with non stick gauze pad and wrap with gauze roll. If the wound is near the joint as you describe then it also needs to be splinted to prevent the stitches from splitting when you use the finger as well as securing the bandage and splint to the wrist to assist in stabilization.

d) Did you receive any discharge education? Discharge papers that you signed stating that you understood the care that was provided to you? If you did not I would also include this in your note as there is a complete system breakdown occurring.

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Sorry for being so inarticulate!

Just that if they were in a total crunch with a serious influx of critical patients, and the EMT was just trying to help (albeit ineptly and possibly inappropriately given his normal scope of practice), some grace might be in order, though it's still important to give them the feedback.

Well, yes and no. Obviously, this will depend on where one lives, what the state rules governing EMTs and paramedics are, and the medical direction under which they work. Wound care is a part of BLS care where I live; so, an EMT would have had to pass that module to pass the state test/NR test. Neither EMTs nor paramedics are taught to stitch wounds, just for clarification. (And I realize the EMT didn't do so in Strider's case.) EMTs and paramedics are routinely hired as techs in hospital ERs where I live. It is, in fact, a way that many supplement their incomes. What they do as techs can vary from ER to ER; but, generally, they help patients into the rooms & gowns, take vital signs, start IVs (the paramedics do this, not the EMTs), and other more basic routine procedures.

The EMT in Strider's incident should have known how to properly dress and bandage her wound (assuming an equivalent BLS training in her state). And his customer service, which is heavily stressed in the system for which I work, was deplorable. As far as stitches, in my admittedly inexpert opinion, it seems to me that it is an art as well as a skill and, unfortunately, the art is not passed on to the younger docs and PAs.

To answer your question, Strider, your letter seems fine to me, though I also agree with Pauline's advice as well. If you happen to remember the EMT's and PA's names I would include those, too. sorry you had such a poor experience.

:grouphug:

First, I'm sorry for your ouchie.

Second, I think you should send it as it is.

Third, :cursing:

Ditto, and what a complete jerk. He should NOT be working in a field having to speak to people or show any level of compassion.

I would advise you not to complain about the wait time in the Emergency Department. Long wait times are usual for all patients. If you complain about wait time, then I don't think anyone will regard your complaint with much attention. You ought rather to have gone to an urgent care center if you had only a small laceration.

I don't think "tugging" is a legitimate complaint either.

You could complain about the bandaging by the EMT. That would be legitimate.

I don't think you have a very strong case, though.

As a nurse, I would advise you to remove any complaints about the wait time. As someone previously mentioned, that will, unfortunately, pretty much guarantee you letter won't be taken seriously. Also, I would try to make the letter more concise, stating the facts without the emotion behind it. I would remove the reference to the EMT's nationality. Consider it a business letter and write it as such. I think it would be a good idea to take the things you listed under "problems" and turn those into your letter (again removing the emotional parts). Short and to the point.

The behavior of the EMT does need to be addressed, and he had no business being rough or speaking to you in that manner.

Sorry about your hand! Sounds like a painful cut! :grouphug:

As an EMT and ED Nurse PLEASE send this note and if possible with more details regarding the entire situation the chief of the ED, Nurse Manager of the ED, hospital administrator and hospital ombudsman/patient advocate needs to know about this situation.

a) Things can get hairy in an ED but that is no excuse for any patient to not receive competent quality care. I have apologized to patients for delayed waits, etc explaining higher priority patients arriving etc.

b) An EMT can not practice inside a hospital, they can not touch the patients other than to transfer care. The patient becomes the responsibility of the ED when you arrive at the facility. The only way that an EMT can provide care in an ED is if they are also trained and certified as a Certified Nursing Assistant.

c) It is well within the scope of an EMT or Certified Nursing Assistant to provide basic bandaging and wound care. A small finger laceration as you describe should be a simple wound to bandage: apply antibiotic ointment, cover with non stick gauze pad and wrap with gauze roll. If the wound is near the joint as you describe then it also needs to be splinted to prevent the stitches from splitting when you use the finger as well as securing the bandage and splint to the wrist to assist in stabilization.

d) Did you receive any discharge education? Discharge papers that you signed stating that you understood the care that was provided to you? If you did not I would also include this in your note as there is a complete system breakdown occurring.

hmmmm..... maybe not everywhere? dd is an emt, did training in a hospital emergency room; they also hire emts because they are cheaper than nurses.

????

ann

I would advise you not to complain about the wait time in the Emergency Department. Long wait times are usual for all patients. If you complain about wait time, then I don't think anyone will regard your complaint with much attention. You ought rather to have gone to an urgent care center if you had only a small laceration.

I took someone to an urgent care with a small laceration. The doctor was suprised that, with my bandaging and the wait time, the wound almost closed back up. The doctor told me they couldn't put stitches in there, that we'd have go to the ER for stitches. I was surprised.

Perhaps where you are. This is not universally true.

Point D is a really good point.

hmmmm..... maybe not everywhere? dd is an emt, did training in a hospital emergency room; they also hire emts because they are cheaper than nurses.

????

ann

Yes, EMS training at all levels is a state issue, not a federal issue. What is commonplace in one state is completely different in another state.

As a nurse, I would advise you to remove any complaints about the wait time. As someone previously mentioned, that will, unfortunately, pretty much guarantee you letter won't be taken seriously. Also, I would try to make the letter more concise, stating the facts without the emotion behind it. I would remove the reference to the EMT's nationality. Consider it a business letter and write it as such. I think it would be a good idea to take the things you listed under "problems" and turn those into your letter (again removing the emotional parts). Short and to the point.

The behavior of the EMT does need to be addressed, and he had no business being rough or speaking to you in that manner.

Sorry about your hand! Sounds like a painful cut! :grouphug:

Thanks for those thoughts.

I do understand that waiting is normal to the ER. That is why I highlighted it in blue to consider removing, and will definitely remove it.

What bites, though, is the fact that I strongly suspect that I waited because the PA didn't like me. It is a small laceration, but she wanted it xrayed. I knew my finger wasn't broken and the glass that broke did so in one big piece. It just didn't seem likely that there would be glass still in there, especially since I had held my hand under running water for several minutes immediately. Xrays are expensive, and this one did not seem necessary. The pa was really annoyed about my xray refusal, and then doubly annoyed when I refused the tetanus shot. (I just wanted to check my records. I did end up getting the vaccine later at my dr's office.) I was not in any way rude or know-it-all about this--I simply told her my preference and she got really snippy. I actually texted dh after she left the room: "Dr hates me now." When I walked in to the ER, there was almost no one there. It started getting busy AFTER had been there about two hours.

As for the EMT's nationality--I included that only because I could not remember his name and wanted them to have some way of identifying the person who screwed up so royally. Perhaps I should add something like, "I mention his nationality only as a way to identify this person because I do not remember his name." ???

Finally, can you help me understand what is emotional about the letter? I was trying to describe what was done incorrectly.

Thanks for your input--I really appreciate it.

I don't think "tugging" is a legitimate complaint either.

You could complain about the bandaging by the EMT. That would be legitimate.

I don't think you have a very strong case, though.

The EMT is what really upset me, and I will revise the letter to focus on that.

Just to address the tugging--I have had stitches before, as has my son. I have never experienced such roughness before. She was doing it as if angry, and pulling my skin up so that it kind of "tented" up as she worked. It's hard to describe, but suffice it to say that not only was she not gentle, she was actually specifically aggressive in her handling.

I explained in a post to Nakia why I felt the wait was inappropriate. I will remove that part of the letter though.

I am not sure why I don't have a strong case?? I am not arguing to not pay, just bringing attention to incompetence. Perhaps if you can help me understand what is not strong about my case I can consider further revisions.

I have never had such bad behavior at the ER before, so I was a little dumbstruck by the whole thing.

Thanks.

I do understand that waiting is normal to the ER. That is why I highlighted it in blue to consider removing, and will definitely remove it.

What bites, though, is the fact that I strongly suspect that I waited because the PA didn't like me. It is a small laceration, but she wanted it xrayed. I knew my finger wasn't broken and the glass that broke did so in one big piece. It just didn't seem likely that there would be glass still in there, especially since I had held my hand under running water for several minutes immediately. Xrays are expensive, and this one did not seem necessary. The pa was really annoyed about my xray refusal, and then doubly annoyed when I refused the tetanus shot. (I just wanted to check my records. I did end up getting the vaccine later at my dr's office.) I was not in any way rude or know-it-all about this--I simply told her my preference and she got really snippy. I actually texted dh after she left the room: "Dr hates me now." When I walked in to the ER, there was almost no one there. It started getting busy AFTER had been there about two hours.

As for the EMT's nationality--I included that only because I could not remember his name and wanted them to have some way of identifying the person who screwed up so royally. Perhaps I should add something like, "I mention his nationality only as a way to identify this person because I do not remember his name." ???

Finally, can you help me understand what is emotional about the letter? I was trying to describe what was done incorrectly.

This sounds emotional

--An EMT who bandages wounds in this fashion is incompetent and should not be bandaging patients. Putting adhesive right ON the wound? Not putting a sterile pad on the wound??

Anytime I read a sentence with double question marks, it comes across as a frantic and emotional tone. It would be better to say, "The EMT did not provide the standard of care in this case; he did not apply bacitracin, a sterile bandage, a splint and gauze wrapping. This demonstrates a level of complacency and incompetence that I find alarming and negligent."

Take out the blue stuff. The PA sounds like a you know what, but unfortunately it would make you look crazy to try to explain all that. Just let that go. And like others said, complaining about the wait automatically discredits you.

This sounds emotional

Anytime I read a sentence with double question marks, it comes across as a frantic and emotional tone. It would be better to say, "The EMT did not provide the standard of care in this case; he did not apply bacitracin, a sterile bandage, a splint and gauze wrapping. This demonstrates a level of complacency and incompetence that I find alarming and negligent."

Take out the blue stuff. The PA sounds like a you know what, but unfortunately it would make you look crazy to try to explain all that. Just let that go. And like others said, complaining about the wait automatically discredits you.

Thanks for helping with the wording--yours is much better.

And you've hit the nail right on the head--the PA was horrible but it makes me look crazy to try to explain that. As I said, I'll take that stuff out.

Thanks for the input.

The PA was probably pissed, but I don't see why. Declining an x-ray doesn't sound out of line, and certainly preferring to check your record before receiving a vaccine is a good idea. Weird.

It's hard to explain exactly what is emotional about the letter. It's just the entire tone. Let me see if I can help.

I am writing regarding the substandard care I received in the emergency room at NAME OF HOSPITAL on the evening of Friday, July 6.

I had a small cut near the first knuckle of the middle finger on my right hand. I was able to see a triage nurse within ten minutes, who did the initial screening in a competent and friendly manner. I appreciated both her care as well as the speed with which I was put in a room. The woman who took care of my insurance information and paperwork was also competent, friendly, and quick.

After having my finger sutured, the EMT, who was asked to bandage it, did not apply antibiotic ointment or a sterile bandage appropriately. He also left off a splint and gauze wrapping. When I asked him to redo the bandage, he did not reapply bacitracin to the wound. I am concerned by his substandard care and his general attitude of annoyance, which was demonstrated by him telling me, in some outrage, “Don’t be mad!†and then told me that they “have a lot of things we have to be doing here.â€

It is my hope that this kind of behavior can be prevented in the future.

Thank you for your time.

Strider

The PA was probably pissed, but I don't see why. Declining an x-ray doesn't sound out of line, and certainly preferring to check your record before receiving a vaccine is a good idea. Weird.

It's hard to explain exactly what is emotional about the letter. It's just the entire tone. Let me see if I can help.

I had a small cut near the first knuckle of the middle finger on my right hand. I was able to see a triage nurse within ten minutes, who did the initial screening in a competent and friendly manner. I appreciated both her care as well as the speed with which I was put in a room. The woman who took care of my insurance information and paperwork was also competent, friendly, and quick.

After having my finger sutured, the EMT, who was asked to bandage it, did not apply antibiotic ointment or a sterile bandage appropriately. He also left off a splint and gauze wrapping. When I asked him to redo the bandage, he did not reapply bacitracin to the wound. I am concerned by his substandard care and his general attitude of annoyance, which was demonstrated by him telling me, in some outrage, “Don’t be mad!†and then told me that they “have a lot of things we have to be doing here.â€

It is my hope that this kind of behavior can be prevented in the future.

Thank you for your time.

Strider

So you would leave out the part about putting a bandaid with adhesive right on the wound? That, to me, was so unbelievably incompetent. I want them to clearly understand this.

You don't need to know his name. They will have it in their charting for liability reasons.

So you would leave out the part about putting a bandaid with adhesive right on the wound? That, to me, was so unbelievably incompetent. I want them to clearly understand this.

Oh I left that out accidentally. You could add that in as an example right after the statement about not applying ointment. Yes that should be there.