Menu

K12 for kindergarten--has anyone used this? OR just the K12 kindy science?

pehp

I am going back and forth and back and forth again re: whether I should use K12 for kindy. I had planned do basically do OPGTR (my way--I kind of tweak it to suit me), my own math program, light read-alouds and very basic copywork.

My son keeps asking me (he just turned 5) to 'do science.'

I hate planning things like science projects, and I have given birth to a child who ADORES this stuff. If I really enjoyed planning I think it would be one thing, and I do love planning (creating my own little reading program, field trips, etc) but I just don't love trying to piece together science materials.

I've planned to use K12 a bit later (3rd grade-ish?) as we transition out of our lighter early years, so I was thinking of giving the K12 science a go. Then I wondered if I shouldn't just get the whole K12 kindy. Then I broke out in a cold sweat (he's my first student ;)). Now I'm going to play outside and take a :chillpill:

I don't want too much structure b/c my 18 month old whirling dervish daughter will lay all my plans to waste. We do the 3Rs while she naps.

But I don't want to be too unstructured b/c my son really seems to ENJOY structure. And he is begging for the 'science' lessons/experiments. I bought a cheap used kit and we're working our way through that, bu I even hate that--the whole "round up a balloon, a plastic spoon, salt and pepper" etc. I know it's horrible but I just don't love doing that kind of thing. I'd rather read.

FWIW we would be purchasing it independently--no virtual schooling....

TIA!!!

Okay, NM I think. I went outside and played in the sunshine and quit freaking. We'll do our 3Rs plus Bible, and I will SUCK IT UP and schedule some 'science' that I piece together myself (I do have more mudpies and magnets, plus a library card...). I think the main thing is my reluctance to really put a bunch of time/effort into scheduling and planning something, but if I don't plan it won't get done (ask me how I know!). Currently we're doing some science and I planned 7 weeks ahead w/ materials lists etc so I wasn't stuck at the last minute without being 'prepared' yet still, somehow I never feel like I'm 'prepared.'

I think it is just a personality problem. I want to keep kindergarten light, simple and outdoorsy--we LOVE being outside, and I want to keep it easy for many reasons (no burnout, save the rigor for later, and The Toddler Effect). But I feel I shouldn't ignore my son's desire to 'do science' even though it makes me want to run away and hide.

There are a lot of pre-reader and step-into-reading books focussed on science topics. Those might be a nice way to introduce science to him Use those as read-alouds (they are probably 1st grade reading level, so when he gets to that he can read them himself). Tons of topics, mainly nature related.

There are also a lot of K-3 science project ebooks put out by Scholastic that are part of their frequent dollar deals. They are usually a mix of coloring, cutting-pasting, discussing seasons or animals, etc. There are some cool habitat dioramas, etc. They are easy and don't require a lot of gathering of materials. Beyond that, K science is usually stuff like playing with sand, what floats/sinks, and lots of nature crafts/seasons, etc.

Have you seen Elemental Science Early Years? It may help you out.

I wouldn't spend the money on K12 for kindergarten. My dc was enrolled in K12 this year and he did the K level for phonics and math...I hated the math and didn't enjoy the phonics too much. The science was ok.

just my 2 cents!

Yes, I have heard similar things about math from K12-definitely not going to go there! I wonder if it is better in the upper years; I've heard good things about K12 generally for the older elementary years.

I'm going to forgo. I was looking through Mudpies & Magnets this afternoon and got some ideas. Putting on my big girl britches and just DEALING WITH the fact that it will take some prep work on my part. waa waa waa ;)

Have you seen Elemental Science Early Years? It may help you out.

I wouldn't spend the money on K12 for kindergarten. My dc was enrolled in K12 this year and he did the K level for phonics and math...I hated the math and didn't enjoy the phonics too much. The science was ok.

just my 2 cents!

And--checking out Elementary Science now!!!! Thank you for the link!!!