Menu

horrible soap scum

my bathtub has really bad soap scum. What can I use to get rid of soap scum without bleach. I am allergic to most cleaning agents especially those with bleach.

I have tried vinegar and baking soda to no avail.

I have really bad pelvic pain (pregnant) so leaning over a tub and scrubbing the sides is really really painful. Something that doesn't require scrubbing. I tried to get a rag and a little of soap and it still wouldn;'t get the soap scum off.

What else?

If the soap scum won't come off with an abrasive cleaner, it may be that it's being held there by mineral deposits. If you can handle them, try some Barkeeper's Friend or Lime Away to dissolve the minerals. After that, using some kind of abrasive cleaner will probably work just fine.

Scrubbing Bubbles, hold your breath, spray it on, come back in 10 minutes and wipe away! It is slightly strong, no bleach, I spray one wall, go to hall for a breath, then another, back, and so forth. I have a sensitive nose too. You might need to do it a second time if its really bad, but the stuff is great!

Magic eraser! Bonus: no chemicals. I tried every nasty chemical out there and none would work on the scum buildup in my tub, but the magic eraser worked like a charm. It did take a little elbow grease, but it wasn't too bad.

:iagree: I agree the soap scum comes right off in disgusting little rolls of black gunge and you rinse it down the drain. They are expensive, but I like that my boys can use them easily and aren't exposed to chemicals.

Use mixture of vinegar and dawn dishwashing soap (about 1/2 and 1/2) and squirt onto soap scum....Let sit for 15-30 minutes and then wipe off. If there is still some soap scum left...rinse and repeat :001_smile: I tried this several weeks ago and my extremely nasty soap scummy bathtub is sparkling clean!

Diane

Use mixture of vinegar and dawn dishwashing soap (about 1/2 and 1/2) and squirt onto soap scum....Let sit for 15-30 minutes and then wipe off. If there is still some soap scum left...rinse and repeat :001_smile: I tried this several weeks ago and my extremely nasty soap scummy bathtub is sparkling clean!

Diane

ITA, vinegar and Dawn ! I do most of my cleaning with this combination.

I use the vinegar undiluted in a spray bottle to wet it down. I put a few drops of Dawn in a wet Dobie sponge and squeeze it around, then scrub the vinegary surface until it is all sudsy, and let it sit. I come back later and scrub it once more and rinse with hot water.

Scrubbing Bubbles, hold your breath, spray it on, come back in 10 minutes and wipe away! It is slightly strong, no bleach, I spray one wall, go to hall for a breath, then another, back, and so forth. I have a sensitive nose too. You might need to do it a second time if its really bad, but the stuff is great!

Yep, the best stuff ever. You can actually see the grime settling at the bottom of the tub.

ITA, vinegar and Dawn ! I do most of my cleaning with this combination.

I use the vinegar undiluted in a spray bottle to wet it down. I put a few drops of Dawn in a wet Dobie sponge and squeeze it around, then scrub the vinegary surface until it is all sudsy, and let it sit. I come back later and scrub it once more and rinse with hot water.

Love this!

Diane

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This..definitely this!

We get horrible build-up due to hard water mixed with bar soap. I've tried everything, and the only thing that sort of worked for this type of plague was oven cleaner.

One day I read about the dawn/vinegar mixture, so I figure that it couldn't hurt to try. It was incredible! Everything sparkles. The thick horrible plague that nothing, even oven cleaner, would touch melted away with this stuff.

If it is really, really bad, I recommend spraying it on the area and let it sit overnight. The next morning re-spray and let sit for a few minutes then wipe. Impossible shower doors come out clear. Thick plague on shower walls under the soap holder wipes right off and shines.

Just heat up the vinegar to very warm (not boiling or anything such as that..just pretty warm) and pour into a spray bottle. Add an equal amount of blue Dawn dishsoap. That's all. Certainly your bathroom will smell of vinegar for a short time (goes away after an hour or so) but the results are great. I love it.

Diane

This works. Wipe it off with dry towels. If it's very bad, you might have to do it twice. When you mix it, microwave the vinegar first until it's very hot, mix in a spray bottle, squirt the whole tub until it's saturated, set a timer and walk away.

I also recommend the Dawn/vinegar combination. I cut down on the amount of Dawn, though, as it gets very sudsy when I'm rinsing and washing the tub walls. The vinegar smell can be overwhelming, too. Just FYI. I usually wipe everything down with a damp hand towel after I'm done scrubbing, too.

I also recommend the Dawn/vinegar combination. I cut down on the amount of Dawn, though, as it gets very sudsy when I'm rinsing and washing the tub walls. The vinegar smell can be overwhelming, too. Just FYI. I usually wipe everything down with a damp hand towel after I'm done scrubbing, too.

Don't rinse. Wipe it out with a dry towel or two.