Menu

What is the *best* way to sell curriculum?

I have had successes and failures through the years. I need to streamline and have a ton of books...both individual and heavy sets (like SL and MFW) that I need to sell. I thought of having a local book sale but doubt many will care to come out all this way to see them. That would be a lot of work for nothing. The PO charges a ton for first class, and I don't trust media mail. Where do I advertise, and how do I ship easily and safely? What do you wrap mailed books in? I need tips please so I can get this ball rolling. Thanks!

I've been selling for five years and I've never had a problem with media mail. I've had trouble with personal checks so I ask for PayPal only. I always include shipping in my prices and I use multiple listings (here, Amazon used, homeschoolclassifieds.com and Ebay). Most times I still end up donating many books to charity thrift stores to make room on the shelves. Good luck! :)

I've never had a mishap when shipping media in years past, but I did suffer a $600 loss when my dh shipped a (new) curriculum return of mine and failed to insure it. :001_huh: Yes, I filed a meticulous po report with pictures, detailed list, etc. It had been packed in a large box and taped by me, so I know it was snug and secure. I live in a small town and the post office ladies chat with me, and they have actually told me that media mail is treated rather poorly. My lost box was put in a huge crane with thousands of media boxes , lifted high in the air, and dropped into a large holding bin. They said many boxes are destroyed that way and unrecoverable. Not good. I was just afraid to take the risk in having anything I mailed to someone getting lost or damaged. I sold just a few things last year, and between getting nice sturdy boxes, heavy tape, bubble wrap, and then the first class postage, I lost 2/3 of any small profit I was hoping for. :tongue_smilie:

I've been having the most success lately at the Facebook group in my signature below. HTH!

I've been buying/selling books for 10+ years, always using media mail and I can count on 3-4 fingers how many times I've had an issue. Just use it correctly and package well.

Thank you all. Honestly, financial pressures are a factor, and I really have to get off my duff and help out dh before he blows a gasket. :tongue_smilie: I am starting my house decluttering project, and have already made some real progress (the car is now full of donations) and I really have to tackle all the boxes of curriculum that may be a small goldmine. I appreciate your help. I guess I will try to trust media mail again, wrap well, and pray a lot! :001_smile:

So far, as I know, all my Media has arrived with no issues.

Regular and Priority mail has arrived to me damaged before and even lost but our PO says it's on the military side not civilian side. Seems the military counterparts don't take their jobs as seriously but that's a whole new post.

I try to communicate often sometimes too much.

I would love to just put my stuff out and say come look at it but we are not allowed to do that here because it's against the rules. (imo stupid)

I also think if your items are on the 'hot list' they will sell better. I have three bins of books that are extras that I bought to go with curriculum. They are not 'hot items' so I don't think they will sell.

I don't want to have a bunch of places to sell. I just couldn't keep it straight and I would mess up. I stay on here since it's full of traffic. Ebay I am not sure of right now. It still scares me. I have sold some personal books of mine on there recently but haven't posted any school books.