Menu

Manipulatives for Saxon

Amanda82

I'll be trying out Saxon math for my 1st and 3rd grad dds this year. What manipulatives do I *need* to have for it? We're on a pretty tight budget so I'm looking to buy the least amount possible but I also don't want to skip something that might be very beneficial for them.

Do you have the Rainbow Resource catalog? They have a chart that shows what is necessary for each level. Then you can see if you already have items that you can use at home.

Here's a link to the same info: Saxon Manipulative Overview

The only thing I haven't ever used after using the program with three kids is the teacher's number line.

Edited by Brenda in FL

We have also used most of the manipulatives that were in the kit. I think in 1st the linking cubes were used more than anything else. You could substitute legos, though, if you wanted to. Some things would be hard to substitute, like the pattern blocks and tangrams. You can definitely use any kind of clock for the lessons on telling time. The bucket balance was the priciest item, and we have only used it once or twice so far in K-2. If you are on a tight budget, I would just skip those lessons. You can use anything for counters. The Geoboards are really cheap, so you might just want to go ahead and get those.

So, to sum up, I guess I would get pattern blocks, tangrams and geoboards, and then if I didn't have Duplos or Legoes, the linking cubes.

After the first child went through part of the program, I finally gave in and got the pattern blocks after trying to do it without them. The only other "must have" for us was the teaching clock.

The balance is okay, but I hated spending the money on it. I wondered if we just could have built a homemade one. Linking cubes could just as easily be done with something else. My husband made us geoboards out of scrap wood. In my opinion, for the rest of the list, everything can be done with something easily available or done without.

Erica in OR

The Pattern Blocks are a MUST. They use the squares that are 1" each to help with measurements, multiplying, etc. The blocks are used to show fractions and other things I can't think of right now...I used them a lot with my 3rd grader in 3rd grade and 2nd grade. I don't recall using the Tangrams a ton for 3rd grade. I didn't use Saxon for 1st, I kind of did my own thing. Tangrams are a cool thing to have though. If you needed, you could print some off and have them use the paper version for the exercise. Scroll down this page for Tangrams you can print - http://www.mathcats.com/mathtoolbox/index.html

I don't pull the balance out much. I use the clock a lot. It really is nice having a Judy Clock.

Good luck!

Vicki