Menu

Horizons vs. Singapore

Snowstorm84

Last year I had my son do Horizons math for Kindergarten. He flew threw it. For first grade I am wondering if I should continue with Horizons or switch to Singapore. I like the way Singapore uses number bonds and I also think their teacher's manual does a better job of helping me explain concepts. For those of you who have tried both, which do you like better and why? Thanks for your help!

I always say ' if it ain't broke, don't fix it,'. But that's just me. I never thought of Singapore's teacher's manuals to be anymore helpful than Horizons really.

If Horizons works for him, stick with it. There is so much out there that is available to help explain concepts better than just teacher's manuals anymore.

My oldest is using the Horizon's Pre Algebra. No, their manual isn't helpful but we just go to Khan Academy and practice new concept there, or go to Youtube. Actually for me its better for me to see and hear than it is to read the instruction anyways. LOL

I actually started this school year with Singapore. I do like the way they teach the kids to see the 10 when adding so I just continued that concept when we switched to Horizons. I love horizons. My son who is finishing up the 1st grade book 2 is learning fractions and addition with carrying. For me Horizons works best for my kids and I did the 1st grade book without the teacher's manual. I figure I can explain every concept in those books without any help.:)

I use Horizons as my main program, and I add in some Singapore workbooks as supplements (CWP, Extra Practice, and Mental Math). It makes a nice combination.

From what I have read, it seems to work well to use either Horizons or Singapore as the main program and the other one as the supplement.

We use both as well. I had heard such great things about Singapore but my boys move through the pages so fast, 1B for my 6 & 7 year olds, that I bought out the grade 1 Horizons books for longer math sessions. I really don't find them to be significantly different.

I use both Horizons and Singapore...how's that for helpful? :D Singpore gives us our focused math learning whereas Horizons provides ongoing practice/review. It's a perfect (imo, of course) combination.

:iagree:Completely agree! We did Horizons last year with my ds currently in 3rd grade and I liked it but I wasn't in love with it, to me there was just something missing. I felt it was "advanced" and I was confident he was learning and retaining the skills but just not in love with it. I decided to try Singapore this year and LOVE the combo. I have him do his Singapore everyday and then he does selected work from Horizons. I feel Horizons has enough review and Singapore has enough mastery that he is getting EXACTLY what I have been looking for. Bonus, he loves the combo as well! Try it! You don't have to do all of either. It works for us. Hope that helps.

I switched my dd from Horizons to Singapore, then back to Horizons :blush: I liked the idea behind Singapore, but she got frustrated and bored with doing the same things over and over before moving to a new topic. I wouldn't change what's working...

This is what I am worried about-he doesn't tolerate reviewing things over and over when he already knows it.

This is what I am worried about-he doesn't tolerate reviewing things over and over when he already knows it.

FWIW, if he already knows it, then I would move on. The curriculum is just a tool. Use your own judgment when you assign problems.