Menu

Letters for Eagle scout

I was reading a blog today where a woman said she sent out over 100 letters to senators, FBI, Northpoint, corporations, gov't etc when her boys were getting their eagle scout and the son got a bunch of letters, cerficates, and treats (autographed hats, NFl glove, hockey tickets etc) as a reward from these various places. I had never heard of this practice before. Is it the "normal" thing to do when you reach eagle scout to write all these letters? Here in Canada the equivalent is the Chief Scout award which is what my oldest 2 are working towards, dd is just starting scouts next year so she has not officially started, ds has made great progress with it. I have never heard of anyone in Canada doing a letter writing thing for Chief Scout so when I read about that eagle scout doing it I got curious.

If your son has achieved eagle scout did you embark on a letter writing blitz?

Around here, someone from the district solicits letters from local, state and national politicians, as well as other celebrity Eagle Scouts. But just letters are sent to the new Eagle, not gifts.

Haven't done that yet, but I knew several Eagle moms who have done that. Typically the letters are to politicians...haven't heard of doing it for corporations.

I need to look into that because my son just has to go through the Eagle BOR now. He is finished with the project and all MBs.

My son isn't working toward Eagle yet so I'm not surprised I've never heard of it. But I'd like to know more about the practice.

I was just cracking up as I read your post because I was trying to picture my kids writing those letters. No way. :lol::lol:

ETA: Oh wait, the MOM sent the letters? OK, I'm still cracking up as I picture myself doing that. No way, still.

Around here, someone from the district solicits letters from local, state and national politicians, as well as other celebrity Eagle Scouts. But just letters are sent to the new Eagle, not gifts.

:iagree:This is what is common in my area. Eagles get letters from our local, state, and national representatives and senators.

When we were about to get married, somebody told me to send an invitation to the President of the United States. Sure enough, we received a congratulations letter from the White House. So this doesn't surprise me that if you sent letters of such an accomplishment like earning Eagle Scout you would get an "atta boy" back. I'd say do it if you think that is cool, but don't do it if it doesn't mean anything to you.

When we were about to get married, somebody told me to send an invitation to the President of the United States. Sure enough, we received a congratulations letter from the White House. So this doesn't surprise me that if you sent letters of such an accomplishment like earning Eagle Scout you would get an "atta boy" back. I'd say do it if you think that is cool, but don't do it if it doesn't mean anything to you.

I knew the White House sent out cards, if requested, for special anniversaries and birthdays. Didn't know that about weddings. For the Eagle Scout, the President's sig is actually on the official BSA Eagle Award Cert, as whoever the current President happens to be is the honorary President of the BSA. I wonder what BSA will do when we get a female President!

I know of moms that have done this--our last few Eagles from our troop had them. We didn't. The only one that ds wanted was one from Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs. http://www.mikeroweworks.com/scrap-yard/eagle-scout-letter/

Here's a list of more than you will ever want!

http://usscouts.org/eagle/eaglecongrats.asp

Interesting!

I just might write a couple of those.

Anyone have a sample of what my letter might say?

Thanks for the links!

I know of moms that have done this--our last few Eagles from our troop had them. We didn't. The only one that ds wanted was one from Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs. http://www.mikeroweworks.com/scrap-yard/eagle-scout-letter/

Here's a list of more than you will ever want!

http://usscouts.org/eagle/eaglecongrats.asp

My kids aren't in Scouts, but that letter from Mike Rowe was pretty cool.

My husband's son did receive letters from various statesmen [and even one stateswoman] when he earned his eagle. I think they get lists from the council or perhaps their staff seek out lists. I know I didn't solicit on his behalf.

My husband is also an eagle scout so they were also recognized at their banquet with a multi-generational award. I think that may be a state decision to honor rather than a BSA decision.