Menu

Does your park have a lost and found??

I'm trying to help my dd do research for a book she's writing. She wrote about her character turning in a lost ring to a lost and found in a park. I told her that parks don't have lost and founds and if you find something and nobody is there to ask if they dropped it, it's yours. She swears that some parks have lost and founds so I'm putting it to The Hive. I've never seen a park with a lost and found in South Florida. Does your park have an lost and found area??

Thanks to all who reply. :)

Nope, but I would turn such an item into the police department.

My purse was once stolen, dumped somewhere in the city and a good Samaritan turned it into the police. I had things stolen from it, but I got a lot of things back that were only important to me.

That's so nice! I wouldn't even think to go to the police department if that happened to me.

My business card was in my purse. He called me and told me that he had found my purse and turned it in. He called because he didn't think the police seemed like they were going to call me. In fact, the police station was rude and gave me the run-around when I went to pick it up.

We once found a camera at the park, and turned it in to the Parks and Rec Dept office. They did have a lost and found. :) No idea if the camera's owner reunited with the camera, but I hope so.

This is where I went to look for a camera we lost at a carnival at a city park. Never did find the camera, though. :sad:

My business card was in my purse. He called me and told me that he had found my purse and turned it in. He called because he didn't think the police seemed like they were going to call me. In fact, the police station was rude and gave me the run-around when I went to pick it up.

Reminds me of a story in dh's family. When he was 8 or younger, he found a bike (I don't know where it was left, but it was clearly abandoned). He took it to the police station with his parents. They were told if it was not claimed in 30 days they could come and claim it. 60 days past and they went to the station and the police didn't want to give it to them--it was clear to dh's parents that some one at the station had "dibs" on it. The police did relent and let them have the bike.

Nope, but I would turn such an item into the police department.

My purse was once stolen, dumped somewhere in the city and a good Samaritan turned it into the police. I had things stolen from it, but I got a lot of things back that were only important to me.

Oh, it wasn't that kind of a ring. Just a cheap costumey type ring that the girl character finds in the grass.

I'm sorry about your purse. That stinks. I've found purses before and always turned them in exactly as I find them. If there is nobody to turn them into, I would mail it to the person's address on the driver's license. My dd would do the same. She's been with me in those situations and has seen how to handle them. :)

That's terrible! :(

Oh, it wasn't that kind of a ring. Just a cheap costumey type ring that the girl character finds in the grass.

Ah, I see.

I'm sorry about your purse. That stinks. I've found purses before and always turned them in exactly as I find them. If there is nobody to turn them into, I would mail it to the person's address on the driver's license. My dd would do the same. She's been with me in those situations and has seen how to handle them. :)

Oh, the guy was super-nice, he had turned it is as he found it. My purse had been stolen with about 30 others from a parking lot at the ballet. They broke all of the car windows to check for purses.

Ah, I see.

Oh, the guy was super-nice, he had turned it is as he found it. My purse had been stolen with about 30 others from a parking lot at the ballet. They broke all of the car windows to check for purses.

That's awful. :(

That's awful. :(

It definitely ruined the evening. The worst part was that it contained a charm bracelet given to me by my grandmother who had passed away the year before. That was one of the things that I didn't get back. :(

But, it was nice of the guy to turn it in and let me know that he had done so. So, I appreciate the sentiment behind turning in found items.

It definitely ruined the evening. The worst part was that it contained a charm bracelet given to me by my grandmother who had passed away the year before. That was one of the things that I didn't get back. :(
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

But, it was nice of the guy to turn it in and let me know that he had done so. So, I appreciate the sentiment behind turning in found items.

Oh yes. My dd lost a Bible in church that she had worked so hard for. It was a church we were visiting and didn't regularly attend. I drove her back every single week to check if they had found her Bible at the lost and found. We did this for 2 months! It was never turned in. She was crushed. :( I've lost things too and haunted lost and founds hoping they would turn up and they never did, so I always try to reunite things with their owners when I find them as much as is humanly possible. It stinks to lose something that is irreplaceable. :(

We once found a camera at the park, and turned it in to the Parks and Rec Dept office. They did have a lost and found. :) No idea if the camera's owner reunited with the camera, but I hope so.

:iagree:

I left my purse with my son's medication at the park. Someone called the police and they brought it to the Parks Dept. A lady there called me.

Yes, our local park does. It is a sort of bin near the entrance in the shape of a house. You lift the roof to put things in or check for things. It was actually built as a replica of the original groundskeepers house (but smaller :001_smile:)

Before they built it, People used to hang lost items on a tree near the entrance.

:iagree:

I left my purse with my son's medication at the park. Someone called the police and they brought it to the Parks Dept. A lady there called me.

Yay! :hurray: I love happy endings! :)

Yes, our local park does. It is a sort of bin near the entrance in the shape of a house. You lift the roof to put things in or check for things. It was actually built as a replica of the original groundskeepers house (but smaller :001_smile:)

Before they built it, People used to hang lost items on a tree near the entrance.

LOL That's awesome! :)

Our little city's parks and rec department is one door down from the police department. That's where we would turn it in.

Not a park - but a lost and found story. I lost my purse once at Union Station in Chicago. I told my friend (a native Chicagoite) that we had to go to lost and found to see if someone had turned it in. She scoffed at me but at my insistence did agree to go with me on my wild goose chase. When I got to Lost and Found, the attendant scoffed at the idea of having a purse turned in but when he looked, he was shocked to find my purse safe and sound without a penny taken. My guardian angels were working overtime that trip.;)

Our little city's parks and rec department is one door down from the police department. That's where we would turn it in.

Not a park - but a lost and found story. I lost my purse once at Union Station in Chicago. I told my friend (a native Chicagoite) that we had to go to lost and found to see if someone had turned it in. She scoffed at me but at my insistence did agree to go with me on my wild goose chase. When I got to Lost and Found, the attendant scoffed at the idea of having a purse turned in but when he looked, he was shocked to find my purse safe and sound without a penny taken. My guardian angels were working overtime that trip.;)

That's awesome! :) There are good honest people even in a big city. :)

My son lost his baseball bag with some expensive equipment in it a few weeks ago. Dh made some calls to the parks dept where it was left/stolen? and did not hear anything. Just last Friday we got a call from the parks dept and were told some city workers found it in some brush and brought it in. He picked it up today and everything was still in there. I think someone just played a cruel joke on our ds but he was thrilled to get it back and so were we.:001_smile:

So yes, there is a lost and found, in a way...your timing for this is perfect!

DD is loving the responses she's getting to this thread. :) I'm glad to learn that there is one kinda as well. :) At least in the future I'll know I can turn stuff in there if I find something in a park. :p

Our small town (under 20,000 people) has a nice park system- several nice parks, pool, nature preserve, wetlands, mini golf, boat rentals, golf course, etc. Yes, they maintain a lost and found at the pool, golf course, and at the park district office.