Menu

Cutting off Binding?

AndrewsDK

FedEx/Kinko's is the only one in my community that has the capability of cutting off the whole binding in one fell swoop, then drilling holes in one fell swoop. They don't charge an arm and a leg, either. The others have to cut and drill in sections. It's just easier to hand it off to FedEx/Kinko's.

A printer (that is a *real* printer, where they do off-set printing and engraving and more; FedEx/Kinko's and the others do photocopying) can probably do it, too, but they usually charge more.

We don't have a franchise store like Kinko's in my small town, so I went to my local print shop where they publish papers and make invitations and they cut the binding off my books for FREE! I told him I could pay something for his time, but he said it only takes him 3 seconds to walk over to the machine and pull a handle. no charge. :001_smile:

Don't forget your "mom & pop" shops.

Personally, I do it myself with an Exacto knife and my 3-hole punch.

:iagree: I used to give books to my dh to take care of cutting off the binding, since he works for a matting & framing company with large, sharp cutting implements. However, with him at home on disability, I'm going with the exacto knife.

I used a metal yardstick and an exacto type knife (takes a razor blade) to cut DS's FF Latin workbook after I noticed he was hooking his hand around. For texts & teacher guides I will go to Staples (to get a nice, straight cut). I've always had good service there.

I don't like 3-ring binders so much (bulky & mess up the shelves) so I have things spiral bound. It's about $4 a book.