Menu

Pros and Cons of living in Seattle?

We're approaching the end of my husband's military career, and the start of his next career. We're currently in southern California, and have always thought Denver would be a great place to live (DH's parents live there). Another city we're considering is Seattle (I am from western Canada, so I'd have easier access to my family.)

Please give me all of your thoughts on Seattle!

I'd also love to know whether there are specific regulations for homeschooling there. In CA, we declare ourselves as a private school and don't really have to do anything outside of that.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homeschooling in Washington is easy. You fill out your notice of intent to homeschool with your district and arrange for annual testing (but you keep the scores, you don't have to turn them in), and that's it.

Seattle is a pretty spendy place to live. You might consider going either south or north of Seattle. But other than that, I love living in Washington. The weather is mild, the people are friendly, and the economy has held up pretty well compared with the rest of the country.

Seattle is a pretty spendy place to live. You might consider going either south or north of Seattle.

I guess one of the (strange) benefits of living in Hawaii for three years and San Diego, is we've become used to the higher COL of these places. One goal is to have DH not have to commute more than 30 minutes, so that will limit where we live depending on the job he gets (wherever that may be).

I'm glad to hear about the low regulations though. I really enjoy that about California.

Edited by tammyw

We live in a rural community about 2 hours east of Seattle, over the Cascade Mountains (but don't picture cowboys on the street; we have a state university and the population is 17,000 when school is in session). I grew up in a small town southeast of Seattle and have lived here off and on for 25+/- years. We love it in this valley, and the proximity to Seattle when we need a Puget Sound or city fix. Lower cost of living, four seasons, and slower pace of life (but not quite like as was described on the Europe thread!). PM me if you want more information!

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

Seattle is beautiful when the sun shines. If you are coming from CA/HI, the grey may bother you though.

Traffic can be bad, but definitely not worse than San Diego. Housing prices are much more reasonable than CA/HI.

I grew up in Seattle and love it. We currently live in eastern WA. If we could afford a house in Seattle and keep our cows, we'd move back. LOL

Seattle is beautiful when the sun shines. If you are coming from CA/HI, the grey may bother you though.

Do not underestimate the affect that long months with lack of sunlight can affect you. My mother, who had lupus and was terribly sunlight-sensitive, loved it; my cousin, who grew up in Norfolk, Virginia, almost didn't make it through the first winter of his retirement in Spokane. He and his wife bought a house in Arizona, where they spend the winters.

Traffic can be bad, but definitely not worse than San Diego. Housing prices are much more reasonable than CA/HI.

I grew up in Seattle and love it. We currently live in eastern WA. If we could afford a house in Seattle and keep our cows, we'd move back. LOL

Okay, you all may laugh at me, but the times I'm truly happiest here in San Diego is when it's cloudy and rainy. I get a bit euphoric on those days. When I wake up and it's cloudy, I hope that it stays that way and get a bit sad when it blows over and gets hot/sunny.

I think part of it comes from having grown up in snowy Alberta. Now I really don't miss the extreme long, cold winters, but I am not much of a sunshine-all-time girl either. Though everyone says they like the dreary weather initially, but eventually tire of it. I guess I'd worry about *that* but not sure that would really happen. I'm kind of sun-phobic, as I have fears of skin cancer (and have fears about all the chemicals in sunscreen also, so choose the natural kinds which are always more challenging to apply).

One goal is to have DH not have to commute more than 30 minutes, so that will limit where we live depending on the job he gets (wherever that may be).

:smilielol5:Sorry, we were just ranked #4 in the country for traffic based on a survey of GPS units and commute times. I don't know anyone with a commute time shorter than that. Maybe if you lived and worked in a high-rise downtown.

Other than our traffic, it is a lovely place to live!

:smilielol5:Sorry, we were just ranked #4 in the country for traffic based on a survey of GPS units and commute times. I don't know anyone with a commute time shorter than that. Maybe if you lived and worked in a high-rise downtown.

Other than our traffic, it is a lovely place to live!

One place he could potentially work is the Seatac airport.

One place he could potentially work is the Seatac airport.

Yeah, unfortunately SR 167 is one of the worst congested freeways in the region, but really the problem is regional. There isn't a way to escape it, and if he works at Sea-Tac and you don't want to live in a completely scary area (which is most of the communities surrounding the airport), your commute will almost certainly be longer than your desired time. Just something to keep in mind.

We lived in puget sound for 10 yrs just a ferry ride from Seattle. Cost of living wise it's a cheaper alternative to Seattle, less traffic but still close enough to enjoy the attractions to Seattle. We had/have many friends who lived in Kitsap county and worked in Seattle. We moved to Eastern Washington 2yrs ago for my husband's work. Homeschoolin in Wa is pretty simple, notice of intent with school district once your child is 8yrs old and then yearly. Some sort of evaluation yearly either testing or assessment. And a few other minor requirements. If you want the Seattle area it's self Kirkland which is just east of Seattle (the East Side) is a really nice community it's about a 30mins commute (at the most) to Seattle with house less than Seattle. We have family there and spend a lot of time in that city.

Yeah, unfortunately SR 167 is one of the worst congested freeways in the region, but really the problem is regional. There isn't a way to escape it, and if he works at Sea-Tac and you don't want to live in a completely scary area (which is most of the communities surrounding the airport), your commute will almost certainly be longer than your desired time. Just something to keep in mind.

A good friend who lives there suggested West Seattle as an option if he worked at Seatac. I know that it's a pricier area, but we'd be looking at as our permanent home.

Homeschooling in Washington is easy. You fill out your notice of intent to homeschool with your district and arrange for annual testing (but you keep the scores, you don't have to turn them in), and that's it.

Seattle is a pretty spendy place to live. You might consider going either south or north of Seattle. But other than that, I love living in Washington. The weather is mild, the people are friendly, and the economy has held up pretty well compared with the rest of the country.

You do not have to annually test.

A good friend who lives there suggested West Seattle as an option if he worked at Seatac. I know that it's a pricier area, but we'd be looking at as our permanent home.

Parts of West Seattle are nice, and parts are terrible, so you'd have to get a really good realtor. Also, I'm not sure what the traffic situation is just now, but the West Seattle bridge was at one point known for horrible traffic (we're talking hour long back-ups just to cross the bridge), it closes all the time due to weather, etc. I don't know if you would need to cross it to get to Sea-Tac (I'm not as familiar with that area), also the city is about to start major construction on the freeway (99) over there which will impact commutes for years. I still think you are looking at least at the top of your commute time, but definitely under 1 hr.

Parts of West Seattle are nice, and parts are terrible, so you'd have to get a really good realtor. Also, I'm not sure what the traffic situation is just now, but the West Seattle bridge was at one point known for horrible traffic (we're talking hour long back-ups just to cross the bridge), it closes all the time due to weather, etc. I don't know if you would need to cross it to get to Sea-Tac (I'm not as familiar with that area), also the city is about to start major construction on the freeway (99) over there which will impact commutes for years. I still think you are looking at least at the top of your commute time, but definitely under 1 hr.

Holy cow...a one hour commute time each way would be brutal.

OP, if your dh got a job at the airport, I would look for housing along the new commuter train line. I'm not super familiar with it, because I live across the Sound, but I do know that one of the lines goes to the airport. Otherwise, traffic here is a nightmare and the areas around the airport are not the most desirable parts of town. West Seattle is lovely, but mostly smaller houses on tiny lots and very expensive because of the lovely views.

FTR, we live an hour away from dh's job, just to have a home in a quiet and affordable area. We live in Kitsap County, dh works in Kent and he has a 50 min drive (w/o traffic because he starts super early) and has to cross a toll bridge, too. If he comes home during traffic, it's about 75 minutes.

Holy cow...a one hour commute time each way would be brutal.

Yeah, obviously it depends on work schedule, a non-traditional schedule would be much better and have less traffic. Its probably under your 30 min. without rush-hour traffic and more like 40-60 min. in rush hour, but that's just my guess.

Also, living where you are dependent on a bridge to access most areas, you have to consider weather. The West Seattle bridge often closes for even a dusting of snow, which would make the commute a nightmare, since Sea-Tac doesn't often close for weather.

I really do love living in our area, but I think people expect longer commute times here. I know it was an adjustment when we moved here, but we got used to it. Pandora helps. :D

By law, you do have to do something annually: either test or assessment. But you don't have to turn in the results to anyone. Some of my friends have gone to testing every other year :wink wink:.

Do you have a link to somewhere stating that law?

Do you have a link to somewhere stating that law?

It only applies over the age of 8, that might clear up some of the confusion.

Here is a link to HSLDA explanation of the law:

Washington State Homeschool Law

The second page explains that a standardized test or evaluation by certificated teacher is required every year over the age of 8.

Edited by FairProspects

West Seattle to SeaTac does not require going over a bridge, you'd drive out the south end via hwy. 509.

Also near SeaTac are Des Moins, Federal Way and Kent. All have some very nice areas and affordable housing. Just avoid South Park and you'll be fine! ;)

West Seattle to SeaTac does not require going over a bridge, you'd drive out the south end via hwy. 509.

Also near SeaTac are Des Moins, Federal Way and Kent. All have some very nice areas and affordable housing. Just avoid South Park and you'll be fine! ;)

Thanks for your feedback. What kind of commute would you say it would be from West Seattle to the airport?

There is just NO down side to life here!!

Do not underestimate the affect that long months with lack of sunlight can affect you. My mother, who had lupus and was terribly sunlight-sensitive, loved it; my cousin, who grew up in Norfolk, Virginia, almost didn't make it through the first winter of his retirement in Spokane. He and his wife bought a house in Arizona, where they spend the winters.

I'll second this.

We spent 2 1/2 years in the Puget Sound area (stationed at Everett and lived on Bangor) and I _HATED_ it. YOu will NOT PAY me to live there again.

I've even told my dh if he gets stationed there again I will INSIST on spending about $800 on therapy lamps.

Going from So. Cal and Hawaii is a HUGE difference to the Seattle area.

Good luck,

Kris

if you are from western BC, west of the moutains where you get more rain, you should do fine with the weather.

where you end up living vs working can really affect things. commutes are measured in time, NOT distance. housing prices also can vary greatly with area. before deciding on what area you want to look, find out what area your dh would be working. I personally, would never live in seattle proper. (and my parents grew up there, and my sister lives there now.) but I can get to parts of downtown in 15 minutes from where I'm at.

homeschooling here is pretty easy - though some districts try to intimidate by including all sorts of non-essentials in their intent forms. you are only legally obligated to file what the state says. I always got a 'stamped received" copy for my records.

http://www.washhomeschool.org/ is the website for the best washington homeschool information. their state convetion is in early june of each year. there are also some local support/and/or/co-op groups depending upon where you end up.

there are many resources in the puget sound area, and a homeschool bookstore in the totem lake area of kirkland called "homeschool potpourri". they have new and used curriculum and is a great place to sell stuff when you're done. (and their twice yearly sales are great.)

Edited by gardenmom5

Thanks for your feedback. What kind of commute would you say it would be from West Seattle to the airport?

the airport is seatac. (and now there is an incorporated town named seatac.) west seattle to seatac is very easy. sometimes during the day it's ugly no matter where you are because the airport itself is ugly.

We used to live in Burien, right on the flight path to Seatac, very very close via 509. Most of burien is pretty run-down and I would not live near the main drag there again, HOWEVER, if you go further west in Burien and Des Moines (southwest of Seatac), the closer you get to the water the better the residential neighborhood. There are some pretty nice pockets. Of course, the closer you get to the water the more $ too, but still on average cheaper than the nice areas of West Seattle. :)

We were stationed in WA (on the Kitsap Peninsula) for six years. There is a high chance we will be sent back, and I have already told my dh that I'm okay with him taking a different submarine platform that means more deployments to avoid living there again. I just could not stand the weather.

It was fine for a few years, but after that, I started to go crazy. One winter, we had 34 days of straight rain (they were tracking it on the news). The summers are cool, and it rarely gets over 70. It seemed most summers found us with a week or two of hot weather in August, and that's it. (No one has air conditioning for this reason).

On the plus side, winters are very mild, but if you like to ski or just want to play in the snow, you can drive into the mountains, then drive back home to no shoveling.

If it does snow, though, you don't want to leave the house. They don't use salt for environmental reasons (but they do on the highways), and no one knows how to drive. I remember one winter watching news reports about all the buses sliding down the hills in Seattle.

I did like that it was kind of hippie-ish, so there was plenty of natural food and such to find. I miss that quite a bit! They also have a lot of interesting festivals and things, as well as a Navy Fleet week. Lots of places to camp, although there is a high chance you will be camping in rain (happened to us so many times!), so always bring an awning.

You can also get to a beach, but it's got to be the weirdest one I've ever seen. Pretty, and great for kite-flying, but the sand is hard-parked so you have to chisel it to make a sand castle. You can drive on it, too. Too cold to swim, though, even in August - unless you are hardy. I'm a wimp about cold water!

I'm glad we lived there for the experience, but no way will that be the State we pick when my dh retires. We're both from the Northeast, though, and are used to seasonal variations, so that is definitely impacting my opinion.

I'll second this.

We spent 2 1/2 years in the Puget Sound area (stationed at Everett and lived on Bangor) and I _HATED_ it. YOu will NOT PAY me to live there again.

I've even told my dh if he gets stationed there again I will INSIST on spending about $800 on therapy lamps.

Going from So. Cal and Hawaii is a HUGE difference to the Seattle area.

Good luck,

Kris

This is awesome! Please tell everyone you know how horrible the Seattle area is. Remind them that it rains 399 days a year and that it's always gray, nasty and cold. None of us know how to drive in the snow so we stay home and watch all the crazy drivers spinning out and crashing into each other on the news. Traffic is horrendous everywhere - we've made the national news because of our traffic. Our cost of living is crazy expensive. Be prepared to spend half your pay check on lattes. Our bridges are all becoming toll bridges and you know that Seattle has an abundance of bridges. We've had some psycho killers to add to our bad rep - think Green River Killer, Ted Bundy, Josh Powell, etc. Our baseball team isn't so hot. Our summer doesn't really start until after the 4th of July. Ferry prices just keep going up. It's almost always green here and you know how tiring green can be. And, the "big one" could come at any moment.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've lived my whole life in WA and LOVE it! I can't imagine living anywhere else. I even love the rain and cloudy days. But, don't tell anyone else how great it is. It's our secret. Maybe if people stopped moving here our traffic would improve? :D

anything near the water (even without view) will be nicer. the biggest issue would be flight paths. west seattle varies as to different parts. I find it a pain to get to when I go there, so something else to keep in mind when looking at areas - how easy is it to get "other" places.

there are decent/nicer areas within reasonable commutes of seatac.

This is awesome! Please tell everyone you know how horrible the Seattle area is. Remind them that it rains 399 days a year and that it's always gray, nasty and cold. None of us know how to drive in the snow so we stay home and watch all the crazy drivers spinning out and crashing into each other on the news. Traffic is horrendous everywhere - we've made the national news because of our traffic. Our cost of living is crazy expensive. Be prepared to spend half your pay check on lattes. Our bridges are all becoming toll bridges and you know that Seattle has an abundance of bridges. We've had some psycho killers to add to our bad rep - think Green River Killer, Ted Bundy, Josh Powell, etc. Our baseball team isn't so hot. Our summer doesn't really start until after the 4th of July. Ferry prices just keep going up. It's almost always green here and you know how tiring green can be. And, the "big one" could come at any moment.

:lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

I've lived my whole life in WA and LOVE it! I can't imagine living anywhere else. I even love the rain and cloudy days. But, don't tell anyone else how great it is. It's our secret. Maybe if people stopped moving here our traffic would improve? :D

the family of a girl I went to school with used to tell their east coast relatives about the indian raids we had to deal with . . . . .;)(and that was before they started opening casinos)

Same!! Love it here. We moved to Colorado for three years and in the end came running back.

I grew up in Wisconsin with bitter cold winters. Then we moved to East Texas with the unbearable hot humid summers - so humid one couldn't even breathe. Then I found paradise - all thanks to my husband. "Home" is now Western Washington.

Rarely do we have the extreme weather, and when we do, it is only for a few days or a week. And even though we live near the ocean, rarely is it ever humid. If I find myself missing the snow (usually only around Christmastime), I can just drive an hour to the mountains and play in the snow to my hearts content - and be back for dinner with no slushy driveway or sidewalk to have to shovel!

YES, it rains. But it rarely "pours" - it's the kind of rain where one barely gets wet! Orlando gets more rainfall than Seattle. It's usually just gray and misty (sorta year-round). But that's what makes everything so green and lush and smell so good! Yes, in the winter it's dark by 4pm-ish; but ahh, the summer! One can play until 10pm! There's so much to see and do! One can actually go camping, hiking, or bike riding YEAR ROUND and it's quite pleasant and enjoyable! Couldn't do that in the summer in East Texas - even at 6a.m. Nor could we do that in winter in Wisconsin. So to me, I'll take the rain over sleet, snow, freezing temps, humidity, heat ANY DAY.

I actually love the sound and smell of rain, reading a good book curled up under a blanket or by the fireplace, with a good cup of joe (and boy, do I love the coffee here!). Being able to wear my favorite sweater and/or sweats year-round! I love to garden, and my garden loves the rain. My grass is green year-round. I have some sort of flower or bush that is always in bloom no matter what the season.

There are only two things I don't like about living here.

The first, like most have shared, is the traffic. I'm glad I'm now a stay-at-home mom and don't have to drive an hour to/from work. And my husband is able to work-from-home 3-4 days a week. I make sure if/when we leave for the weekend, that we go through the city and/or near the army/navy base hours before or after the commuting hours (which is between 2pm till almost 7pm).

The 2nd thing I hate is the fact this is the LEFT coast. Very liberal. Big change from very conservative East Texas (Bible Belt) and even moderately conservative Wisconsin. This is extreme bunny-lovin', tree-hugging, save-the-_____ (fill in the blank - there's usually a demonstration going on somewhere to save it!). Makes me wanna gag. Which is why we homeschool and will NEVER allow our children to attend a public school here.

Actually, once you get away from the big metropolitan area of Everett/Seattle/Tacoma/even Olympia, the rest of the state is "red".

So I tell folks who want to move here to come visit in late November. Or February. That's how the weather's going to be from October to May (some say summer doesn't start until the 5th of July, and then you better not blink!). And to try to drive from Tacoma to Seattle (or vice-versa) at 7am on a rainy Monday morning or at 5pm on a rainy, Friday evening.

But if you're able to take the bus or train transit (where it can still take an hour or more but you're not driving and can read a book/newspaper/email), then go for it. And just wait until that spring or summer day when the sun does appear, and the mountain makes it's appearance - the colors and the beauty of the nature around you will literally take your breath away! And to me, it makes me appreciate living here all the more! Ahh, paradise!

This is awesome! Please tell everyone you know how horrible the Seattle area is. Remind them that it rains 399 days a year and that it's always gray, nasty and cold. None of us know how to drive in the snow so we stay home and watch all the crazy drivers spinning out and crashing into each other on the news. Traffic is horrendous everywhere - we've made the national news because of our traffic. Our cost of living is crazy expensive. Be prepared to spend half your pay check on lattes. Our bridges are all becoming toll bridges and you know that Seattle has an abundance of bridges. We've had some psycho killers to add to our bad rep - think Green River Killer, Ted Bundy, Josh Powell, etc. Our baseball team isn't so hot. Our summer doesn't really start until after the 4th of July. Ferry prices just keep going up. It's almost always green here and you know how tiring green can be. And, the "big one" could come at any

I have to say that for 10 weeks (if you are lucky) it is t he most beautiful place! July15-Sept...but other than that, dreary dreary dreary. I think those raised with blue skies and the warmth of the sun just have a hard time adjusting...I did love the flowers! Always had gorgeous blooms, and loved the salmon...could never eat color enhanced farmed salmon again! Only wild caught sockeye for me! :) glad we had our two years there, but would never move back, hope that helps the traffic some. I had to be at Seatac 12x a month for quick trips to Spokane and Walla Walla...that is really what helped me last 2 years, if I was affected by the weather, I would just fly to sunshine!

I appreciate all the responses so far. I still think I would enjoy it. While I've lived the last five years in Hawaii and San Diego, I'm always the one complaining about the sun/heat. I'm the one who gets giddy when it's cloudy/rainy. Actually, I think the biggest thing I'd dislike is what the drizzle would do to my hair, lol. I flat-iron my frizzy/half-curly hair. I might have to find a good hair dresser to teach me to wear it curly so I can just embrace the curl that happens with any sort of moisture. Such a vain, vain comment, I know ;)

If I find myself missing the snow (usually only around Christmastime), I can just drive an hour to the mountains and play in the snow to my hearts content - and be back for dinner with no slushy driveway or sidewalk to have to shovel!

We went to the mountains to play in the snow yesterday :D. Gotta love it, sunny and mid 70's, and enjoying the snow in our shorts & t shirts.

OP, if you're thinking of moving to Seattle, what about taking at least a week-long vacation here to check out the weather, areas where you might like to live, etc.?

We went to the mountains to play in the snow yesterday :D. Gotta love it, sunny and mid 70's, and enjoying the snow in our shorts & t shirts.

OP, if you're thinking of moving to Seattle, what about taking at least a week-long vacation here to check out the weather, areas where you might like to live, etc.?

Definitely. If it comes close to that, then we'll absolutely come up for another visit to specifically check out areas we might live!

I have to say, I love the idea of being able to drive to the snow when I want. I miss it, definitely, but I don't necessarily want to have to shovel it or drive around in it ;)

Have you thought of Portland, Oregon, or does that not work, job-wise?

We've thought of it - it's somewhere we'd consider. For the time being, we are looking at each city as appropriate jobs come up. If a good job comes up in Portland, I'll definitely be posting here about that city :)

I know you said the gray is something you would look forward to, but having lived in a climate more like Calgary and then ending up in BC, it is a whole different type of winter out here. We had over 30 days where the sun did not peek through ONCE a couple of years ago. And many winters it will peek one day and then be gone for 20 more. It isn't like snowy winters where the sun shines off the snow and is bright. It isn't bitterly cold, but the wet makes it a bone-chilling cold. Can you tell I haven't adjusted yet, after 9+ years? ;)

I'm curious what you mean about the testing. I'll admit, I'm behind on testing and we didn't test at all last year. Part of me feels like I'm breaking the rules, the other part of me says that nobody sees it anyways.

Could you elaborate?

You either have to test or have a portfolio assessment done by a certified teacher.

I know you said the gray is something you would look forward to, but having lived in a climate more like Calgary and then ending up in BC, it is a whole different type of winter out here. We had over 30 days where the sun did not peek through ONCE a couple of years ago. And many winters it will peek one day and then be gone for 20 more. It isn't like snowy winters where the sun shines off the snow and is bright. It isn't bitterly cold, but the wet makes it a bone-chilling cold. Can you tell I haven't adjusted yet, after 9+ years? ;)

I'm from Calgary too. Guess there's no guarantee how I'd really adjust. It will all come down to job opps for dh, so in the end, I will be happy if he has a job he loves.

II did love the flowers! Always had gorgeous blooms..

The world's most beautiful hydrangeas. :001_wub:

And I love the flower vendors at Pike Place Market. :001_wub:

Not sure that's enough to make me want to move there, though. :D

I'm interested in hearing more. Our top two choices are Denver and Seattle :)

We lived in Black Forest and Colorado Springs. Much of the reason we came back is because of family and dear friends that we missed, but there was more to it than that. I grew up here and I missed real (lush) green, and I missed the WATER. Lakes, rivers, Puget Sound. Where we lived in Colorado, there just didn't seem to be much water around. I think I felt claustrophobic, too, so far inland, away from the oceans! My memories of the trees/dirt was dry pine and dryness.

I did miss the familiarity, too, I suppose. I was born in Tacoma and had live most of my life in a small town half an hour from there or where we live now, two hours east of there (as described very early upthread). I *love* where we live now, but if I had to move somewhere else in Washington it would be somewhere on/near Puget Sound. We vacation nearly every year at a beach house right on the Sound and we take a ferry to get there (we could just drive without taking a ferry, but for me, taking the ferry is part of what I really want to do when we head over. I want to be ON the water).

Definitely. If it comes close to that, then we'll absolutely come up for another visit to specifically check out areas we might live!

I have to say, I love the idea of being able to drive to the snow when I want. I miss it, definitely, but I don't necessarily want to have to shovel it or drive around in it ;)

I offer to be your tour guide!!

I've lived in Portland, OR and spent a great deal of time in CO (we lived in WY) and I LOVE Colorado. SO many sunny days which is nice with homeschoolers. I would pick CO over just about anywhere. It's beautiful, the people are friendly, and the weather is great.