Menu

Gap year experiences

I would love to hear your experiences about gap years. My #2 son attended Capernwray Bible School in England for the last 2 months of his senior year (their spring semester). He thoroughly enjoyed it and said he would love to have gone the whole year. So our plan was for ds#3 to attend spring school at the end of his senior year as well (that would be this coming school year). But he mentioned that he might be interested in doing the whole year (or winter school which runs from the end of September to the end of March). This would mean that he wouldn't start college until a year after graduation.

He isn't looking at any spectacular scholarship opportunities and although he has a basic idea of what he wants as a major (some sort of engineering - chemical, computer) I think he needs some extra time for maturity and to have other experiences.

For those who have used a gap year, did it affect college entrance? Did your student still qualify for freshmen scholarships? Was it a worthwhile time for your student? Did it accomplish the goals you had in mind? If you contemplated a gap year and chose not to do it, why did you make that choice?

A friend of my daughter attended a Christian college for their one year program after she graduated from high school. (This college only has a one year program.) She had a wonderful experience and learned a great deal; however, none of her credits transferred to the state university she now attends. If transfer credit is desirable to you, be sure to check with the college that your son ultimately plans to attend.

Regards,

Kareni

My ds is doing a gap year. He is working for dh, saving money to buy a car and pay for school, and deciding what he wants to be when he grows up.

He just finished a Habitat for Humanity week, and will probably do some more volunteer work installing well pumps for clean water and doing carpentry etc. He loves to work with his hands... And donating his time gives him an opportunity to provide community service.

The credits won't transfer, but that is fine with us. The experience is more important to us. It just seems like this will be the last time he will truly have time to do something for fun. Once they start on the college track (esp, STEM) they have a hard time pulling out - they have to follow a course track, then internships, etc.

Edited by CynthiaOK

My ds is doing a gap year. He is working for dh, saving money to buy a car and pay for school, and deciding what he wants to be when he grows up.

He just finished a Habitat for Humanity week, and will probably do some more volunteer work installing well pumps for clean water and doing carpentry etc. He loves to work with his hands... And donating his time gives him an opportunity to provide community service.

That's wonderful! With the cost of college today, it is hard to send these guys into it without them having a good idea of what they want to do.

For those who have used a gap year, did it affect college entrance? Did your student still qualify for freshmen scholarships? Was it a worthwhile time for your student? Did it accomplish the goals you had in mind? If you contemplated a gap year and chose not to do it, why did you make that choice?

1. It didn't affect college entrance.

2. They did not get fresh scholarships. Oldest rec'd a full ride. 2nd is going in a non-traditional stduent and dept head believes that he can get her $ through non-traditional program.

3. Worthwhile for oldest from academic/seeing the world pov. 2nd dd was caught up in our house fire and family dying- "gap" year was loosly defined- and it turned in to 3 yrs.

4. Ds 17 is planning a gap year after graduation

Thanks, all. And now a follow-up question:

Was the gap year your students' idea, your idea, a combination of the two that came about through conversation, etc.? And was the student entirely on board with the idea?

I'm asking this because this son brought up the idea of spending the year at Capernwray. I was thrilled because I feel he needs a little more time to solidify his ideas and mature just a bit. And his brother had an incredibly fine time there :). But yesterday he was lamenting that the gap year would mean he would just be delaying his college education by another year and he would be 23 when he graduated.

He doesn't love school. He is doing well, but only because he knows it's the road he has to take to get to the goal. His goal, however, needs refining, IMO. For now it is to get a job that makes enough money for him to live well, raise a family, and have some extra for hobbies. It's a fine goal, but I think he is looking for a quick degree that will do that rather than delving into something he is truly interested in. And, I think that interest will come about with time - which is why I love the idea of him taking a year off.

At this point in his life I don't feel we can demand anything of him. We will finance his education - whichever way he goes about it. I think it really needs to be his decision - maybe because I don't want to be blamed later for anything that he feels "went wrong" :).

So, did your student have second thoughts? Misgivings? Were those misgivings rectified over the course of the gap year?