Menu

another spelling question

momma aimee

i tired to do a search, i am not good at it i guess...

so what is a good phonics based spelling curr? one that is rule based and logical -- ie not random words?

We use ETC for our phonics but looking for a bit more 'practice' based on rules -- where he has to 'output' (as well as intake in ETC).

first grade and not reading independently yet --

Writing Road To Reading http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Road-Reading-6th-Rev/dp/0062083937/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342461021&sr=8-1&keywords=writing+road+to+reading It's the Spalding method that people talk about on these forums. I haven't used it, but I have looked through this book and I think it's a pretty good program. It would help with spelling and phonics instruction and spelling rules etc. Seems like I've read that Montessori type schools sometimes use it.

We just finished aas 1 today. It is easy to follow and fairly fun. If you don't want to use the magnets you could just use paper or a white board. I usually use the magnets for teaching a lesson just to mix it up a bit. Dd prefers to write her words using a white board not using the magnets or paper.

i tired to do a search, i am not good at it i guess...

so what is a good phonics based spelling curr? one that is rule based and logical -- ie not random words?

We use ETC for our phonics but looking for a bit more 'practice' based on rules -- where he has to 'output' (as well as intake in ETC).

first grade and not reading independently yet --

First grade and second grade- Rod and Staff Phonics 1 and Phonics 2.

Grades 3-8= Rod and Staff Spelling.

two ten yrs old and an 8yrs old. What do you mean olders? Are you talking about high schooler? No I am not doing with high schoolers but late elementary and early middle school.

I have a feeling high schoolers may be offended if I pulled AAS out. Hard to say. I guess it depends on the child.

The two ten years old put up with it. Not their favorite thing but they are learning so I am not complaining.

wrtr?

Writing Road to Reading is the manual for the Spalding Method. It teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, so it's good for teaching children to read in the first place while also teaching them to spell, improving reading skills in general, and improving spelling in general. It covers readng, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. It can also do grammar and more comprehensive writing, but just doing the spelling lesson will cover the above.:)

If you want AAS without the manipulatives, How to Teach Spelling and the workbooks How to Spell are suppose to fit the bill (I've never used AAS, but that comment has been made on the boards.)

I would second the HTTS recommendation. Page samples (and a review) are on my blog at: http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/how-to-teach-spelling-review/

I would second the HTTS recommendation. Page samples (and a review) are on my blog at: http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/how-to-teach-spelling-review/

THANKS

I think i have found my program -- I think i will wait till we move to buy it (and finish up Spelling Work out book we already have) but I am in love