Menu

For those of you who remember the song.."Year of the Cat", by Al Stewart

I remember when this song came out. I was just enetering high school. I always loved, loved this song.

I actually forgot all about it until someone posted a link to it on youtube.

It linked to Al Stewart talking to an African American woman about his song.

The woman asked him what inspired him to write this song, and what was it about?

From the interview(the link and him singing the song is posted below), it sounds as if Al Stewart himself really didn't know what the song was about?

Does anyone know what the meaning of this song is? Is there a point to it? I have seen the lyrics and I am usually really good with music and meanings. Even underlying meanings.

Maybe this song really doesn't have a point? Maybe be just made up a bunch of lyrics that sounded good?

Either way, I love this song. Even better then "Time Passages"

Here is the link to that interview and him singing the song live:

If you do a search for this song and put in "lyrics", you can see the actual lyrics and maybe some of you can fill me in.

I remember the song very well -- it was popular when I was in college. I haven't thought of it in years. The lyrics sound profound and mysterious, and I suppose that's the appeal of it. You feel as though you're part of something gorgeous, with layers of depth. What a letdown to find out that there's no substance at all behind it. Oh, well.

I remember the song very well -- it was popular when I was in college. I haven't thought of it in years. The lyrics sound profound and mysterious, and I suppose that's the appeal of it. You feel as though you're part of something gorgeous, with layers of depth. What a letdown to find out that there's no substance at all behind it. Oh, well.

:iagree:

It is a letdown. I am a dancer and a music lover. Part of my love for music is the lyrics. When I hear a song, and it "speaks" to me, I usually throw it on my Ipod and keep it for future use. I may end up dancing to it, or just enjoying the lyrics. Of course, I love this song mainly because of the great music. It is real, and it has not been helped along by a computer. This is the real deal.

Maybe there really is a meaning behind this song, and someone out there has an answer. Either way, I will always love it.