Menu

RIP - We're in mourning...

I'm just doing short term (5 - 6 weeks) full time in the fall for a maternity leave. I'll have math/science Level One kids. These are those who are taking 8th grade level for high school credit, except that now, due to NCLB, these kids have to pass regular state tests to graduate. So, we'll be doing Alg 1 and Physical Science - I provide the extra help - sort of like in school tutoring, but it's a real class in addition to their regular class. There are definite kinks to it. We're on block scheduling and some kids get the tutoring before they get the class. :glare:

It's going to be interesting. I'd love to use Emmanuel's life as an inspiration as many of these kids could do better (some are at their level) but are hindered by home situations and lack of caring. I just want to make sure they see the inspiration and not the "why bother" that Nan has pointed out.

Not to hijack the thread, but we have that class for both our freshman and sophomore level math classes. We call it math support.

I will figure out a way to bring Emmanuel into my classroom. His legacy should live on. (Maybe in conjunction with the Fugees soccer team and the book about them...We do a lot of soccer math.)

Thanks for posting that as I hadn't seen it. The message is from a book he loved, "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day." It was one of his favorite books (a "go do something with your life" based upon that Biblical passage book).

To Kill a Mockingbird was also one of Stephen's favorite books. They shared a love for many of the same books.

You're welcome for the link. His story is so compelling that I can't help but read more about him and the programs he was involved with. As tragic as his passing is, his life so well lived was hardly in vain. He's obviously touched many people and will undoubtedly be reaching even more as news spreads. He is truly an inspiration. When faced with unspeakable adversity, he chose to rise above it all and make a difference for others. Truly amazing.

I know this young man can hardly be replaced, but I hope that the school chooses a wonderful roommate for Stephen. Maybe the students could do some sort of fundraiser for either the leadership school in S. Africa, or the bridge program which made it possible for Emmanuel to be accepted to UR. :grouphug:

Maybe the students could do some sort of fundraiser for either the leadership school in S. Africa' date=' or the bridge program which made it possible for Emmanuel to be accepted to UR. :grouphug:[/quote']

That's a great idea. I'll make sure I mention the idea - if my guy and the friends haven't already thought about it. I know they are staying in touch and brainstorming. Emmanuel was buried yesterday. (sigh) He has left quite the legacy with his programs, etc - he just left it all way too soon.

Thanks all. Every morning when I get up I expect it all to be a little better. It's not though. It's all still so unreal. Life is just not supposed to happen this way.

Today is likely the day we'll be in contact with UR for a new roommate. It depends if we get the official notification in the mail or not (my guy wants to wait for it). I hope there's someone out there who will at least be half the match Emmanuel would have been. We're at least hoping for someone who doesn't drink or use recreational drugs and loves learning. I also liked that Emmanuel was on scholarship since my guy is too. There could be a bit of a socio-economic difference if not. (I went to a private high school for one year and the economic difference can be a bit.) The two boys had planned on taking advantage of many of the free college activities while there.

I'm taking solace from this comment left on his FB page recently:

The LORD gives and He takes away...Emma made a difference, he went against all odds, nothing was handed to him on a silver platter, he worked for everything...in the short life he has lived, my friend here has paved the way for many and as sad as it is to lose him, i am thankful i met him, got to know him and learnt from his experiences...Emma has left with a question..what are you doing NOW to bring the change you want to see!! - Rina Bideri Ntagozera
Edited by creekland
editing to give credit where it's due for the quote

Hugs, Creekland

"...Emma has left with a question..what are you doing NOW to bring the change you want to see!! "

Isn't it great that so many people are making Emmanuel's life be like a pebble dropped in a lake and are taking his life and using it to make themselves better people. He, of all people, surely would have hated to think that people took his life and used it as another excuse to give up on the world.

Good luck with the new roommate. How difficult...

Nan

"...Emma has left with a question..what are you doing NOW to bring the change you want to see!! "

Isn't it great that so many people are making Emmanuel's life be like a pebble dropped in a lake and are taking his life and using it to make themselves better people. He, of all people, surely would have hated to think that people took his life and used it as another excuse to give up on the world.

Nan

:iagree: I plan to take some sort of tack like that with my classes. The quote just fits right in well.

A nice poem/tribute was just posted here:

http://orojade.blogspot.com/2012/07/emmanuel.html?spref=fb

I'll cut and paste it:

A man wants to be angry, but who shall a man be angry at?

A man wants to curse the gods for blind puppeteers but

Which gods shall a man curse? Because a man wonders at

The madness of a world where the fruit is given bitter and taken just

As it grows sweet? A man wonders at the madness of a world where

So many struggles end in a pool of placid water. A man shudders at the

Darkness that crept into the world when a light that a man saw

Bright burning? Snuffed out. A man trembles at the gaping hole in reality.

A man shudders, a man trembles, a man curses, cries and curses even more

But nothing a man would do can bring a brother back. It is the lot of all men

To die, but a man wishes that the flame knew the length of the wick.

Perhaps a brother would burn less brightly? But a man weeps for a brother because

A brother was brightly burning. A man weeps for a brother because

A brother would have lit the way for many. A man weeps for a brother because

A brother will be missed. A brother will be sorely missed. So a man will weep

But not for long. Because a man knows a brother would have picked him up

From where he lay weeping. So a man will smile, because the world may be mad

And the gods may be blind and the fruits may never taste sweet. But a man will

Smile because a man knew a Brother. Dimeji

Edited by creekland

:iagree: I plan to take some sort of tack like that with my classes. The quote just fits right in well

A nice poem/tribute was just posted here:

http://orojade.blogspot.com/2012/07/emmanuel.html?spref=fb

I'll cut and paste it:

wow, that brought the tears. What a sad story - my heart goes out to you and your family, and the same for Emma's loved ones in Rwanda.

I'm not an English major, but to me, that's the type of poem that ought to be published. It's the type I enjoy reading though it is much more meaningful (and sad) knowing the story behind it. One can tell it's heartfelt. It's even more amazing to know the person who wrote it doesn't have English as his first language.

If I weren't doing math/science - with a set schedule I'll have to keep - I'd work it into my classwork too. It's in my mind if I were to get extra time.

I'm not an English major, but to me, that's the type of poem that ought to be published. It's the type I enjoy reading though it is much more meaningful (and sad) knowing the story behind it. One can tell it's heartfelt. It's even more amazing to know the person who wrote it doesn't have English as his first language.

If I weren't doing math/science - with a set schedule I'll have to keep - I'd work it into my classwork too. It's in my mind if I were to get extra time.

You will find a way to work it in, even if it is just on the screen one day when the kids walk in. Or, in those last five minutes one day. Just do it.

You will find a way to work it in, even if it is just on the screen one day when the kids walk in. Or, in those last five minutes one day. Just do it.

I'm thinking I will have time - somewhere. I want to work his whole life in - probably little bits each day or week. I'm going to put things up on the wall, but I want to discuss it too.

I've been sharing his story at school w/fellow teachers (many already knew some of the basics of his story as they've been friends since April and we share each others lives). Others might be working it in too. Time will tell.

I want him and all he worked for and stood for to live on.