Menu

Favorite Dissection Kits for Young Elem. Kids

jillian

Well, my FAVORITE dissection tool is the iPad-there are great apps for frog and rat dissections. For real dissections, homeschool science tools is a good place to start, and once you have the kits, you'll probably find things locally-clams, squid, fish and the like are pretty readily available at seafood markets, and you can get animal organs at butcher shops if you ask (for some reason, hearts and lungs usually aren't on display :). Eyeballs usually require a special request.

I bought a cow eye from the folks at http://www.sciexperience.com/ at our conference and we did it with our 6-year old. She mainly watched attentively and was very interested. It was a bit tough (literally) so she couldn't really do the cutting. I thought it was fascinating and will plan to do more dissections, much earlier than I ever intended.

Apparently, Dr. Callentine from this Sciexperience is working on an elementary curriculum that focuses on dissections. At least, that was my understanding after talking with her. I'd be very interested if and when that happens. She's also trying to work with manufacturers to make affordable, good quality models for homeschoolers. I was impressed.