Menu

Help me find these songs!

When I was in the 5th grade we learned some songs that taught us the state capitals, the presidents of the USA, and the states in order of region. They were all very helpful, and I've been looking for them in order to teach my kids. I've listened to a lot of songs, but none of them were quite as good.

I finally found a link to one of them - but the link doesn't have any information about the album so I still have no idea how to find the other two.

here it is

Do you recognize it and do you know where it came from, or where I can find the rest of the songs that went with it?

Thanks!

Thanks! I really appreciate the reply!

I learned that one in school too - and it's great for learning the names of the states. The one I linked has them in order from East to West to make finding them on a map easier, so I find it a little more useful than alphabetical order.

I still remember the capital song, but we were in year-round school so I only learned half the presidents song. That's the one I'd really like to find. Nothing I've found on youtube has as good a tune as the one I half learned in 5th grade (though I'm probably being biased).

In doing a search, I came across this song

http://www.whitehousehistory.org/whha_media/whha_americanpresidents.html

probably not something kids would memorize and sing but I really like the way each president is paired with an accomplishment of their presidency. I might just have my boys watch it with me. :D

Not the one I was looking for - but really good!

Fifty Nifty United States was the song I learned for the states along with this President song.

Could this be the President song you're looking for? It starts "These are the men who have served us as President, Chief Executive leading the way.." I searched for the lyrics I could remember and found them here, just scroll down:

http://www.desotocountyschools.org/subsite/oes/teacher/998/6-fifth-grade-41155

HTH!

I'm thinking that since there are some extra presidents now, since we were kids, that tunes for presidents have been changed to accommodate the newer presidents.

I didn't learn any songs for states or presidents, but now I'm learning them with the songs from Classical Conversations. CC has a song for the states and capitals and it lists them in geographical order. It goes down the east coast first, then around the gulf coast, then to Michigan and works its way down to Arkansas...well you probably get the idea.

I used Sing Around the World Geography Songs by Kathy Troxel, which does the states by region: the Eastern Border, Southern Border, the Northern Border, and In the Middle (no western border, as there are only three states on the west coast).

The Eastern Border: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticutt, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine

The Southern Border: California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida

The Northern Border: Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

In the Middle: Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennesee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana, Illinois.

Alaska and Hawaii, of course. :-)

Edited by Ellie

• 11 years later...