Menu

HELP-Need ideas for lunch for out of town guests--easy but that looked like I fussed

They're just stopping in for lunch from out of town Saturday on their way to somewhere else. We'll be eating out on our patio, probably 85 degrees out, so nothing too hot. We have a grill so we can grill if needed.

I am so busy this wk so I need something easy but they are the type that I will need to look like I fussed. I know one doesn't like tuna salad so I guess he prbly wouldn't like chicken salad either.

I was thinking of teryaki kabobs (marinated ckn, pineapple, pepper, onion) but it is too much trouble.

I also need easy dessert ideas to go with it! THANKS!

Edited by HappyGrace

Just make a couple big platters.

Savory with a couple kinds of breads, some sliced cold cuts/cheeses etc. A couple anti pasta type things, maybe some sort of pasta/other salad

One with some assorted bakery goods and fruit. For me company is about the company. I usually make/assemble the easiest stuff during the time people visit.

Shrimp quesadillas? Buy the shrimp precooked, cheese already grated, tortillas premade, cilantro as well as guacamole and sour cream, salsa on the side. Can serve with rice or beans. Buy some fancy pastries for dessert. My inlaws always think this is a fuss!

I like the rib idea too! And then just make bananas Foster for dessert. Folks think that is special but it's a snap.

I would do chicken salad (can be prepared teh day before). Mine is sauteed chicken cubed up, celery, dried cranberries, granny smith apple cubes, with a mayo-lemon juice dressing. Serve either as a sandwich or over greens. Add in a green salad (greens, red onions, halved grapes, homemade vinaigrette), and ice cream for dessert.

This recipe is one of my favorites for company. It is a pasta, arugula, steak salad. Easy but fancy. Add a nice loaf of bread and some lemon bars for a tasty low fuss meal.

I cook the steak the day before, slice it and just warm it in a pan the day I'm serving it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/penne-with-beef-and-arugula-recipe/index.html

It is only three people, not huge eaters, but they will expect it to be nice. They are older people, in their 70s, so they are of the day and mind that people fuss for a lunch. (Plus the four of us in my family.) Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Ah, well....I usually do simple food and a very nice place setting/table. Like a pretty buffet but simple stuff.

I would marinate some kind of meat and grill it, and do baked potatoes or potato wedges.

One of my favorite salads: fresh spinach (you can mix in leaf lettuce or whatever kind you like), walnuts, dried cranberries, diced red onion, and feta cheese. I like raspberry vinagrette dressing with this.

Oh, the croissant idea is great! I'm thinking that or maybe the ribs. The salad ideas are great too. Please keep the ideas coming-I am totally not decided and still thinking thru all these great ideas.

I had a fun idea to maybe just serve vanilla ice cream, but make a fresh blueberry sauce for the topping. I made it once for pancakes and it was yummy. I could make it the day before. OR maybe grill peaches and put that on the ice cream.

I second the marinated grilled chicken. A friend does this and her dh grills it while she fixes that rice-in-a-box. She has a green salad made and adds multigrain rolls. For dessert she does something super easy like rice krispie treats or ice cream.

We usually just grill up some hamburgers, hotdogs and brats. Add fruit and chips. Brownies or blondies and/or ice cream to follow up.

I have the perfect lunch idea for you! Substitute croissants for the bread rolls and it becomes a fancy and amazingly delicious lunch. It would be great with fresh fruit and maybe an assortment of cookies for dessert. It is sooo good!

Ham & Swiss Croissants

I've had that recipe, just like it's pictured -- with mini rolls -- and it is delicious!

What about that with fruit and cookies (like ChickenPatty said above) and a "homemade" soup -- something from a dry mix that you can have simmering on your stove, looking and smelling homemade. Add a relish tray or some cucumber slices, and that would be really yummy. What time should we be there? :lol: