Menu

If you've made the switch to a laser printer

Do you like it/love it? Why? (sell me on it!)

What do you do for printing in color? Take it somewhere and have it printed? Do you have a second printer?

I think I'd miss color printing and the ability to scan now and then.

ETA: Can you please share model numbers of the printers you love? :)

Edited by LifeLovePassion

I have both-an old business level HP Laser, and an old HP All-in-one ink jet. It takes up a lot of space, but it lets me do cheap printing in black and white, and still have the scanner and the option to occasionally do a color page.

We bought the all-in-one 11 years ago, and the laser came from DH's company when they chose not to move it to the new building and were sending it to salvage.

I have a Brother laser printer, and I love it. That thing can shoot out pages like you wouldn't believe, and it never jams, never goes wonky, and I can print several thousand pages with one ink cartridge.

I just print everything in black and white. There hasn't really been anything that absolutely had to be printed in color.

I love my laser printer. I had a backup inkjet for color, but after not printing anything on it for a few years we got rid of it.

Mine is an all in one, so I can scan in color.

I love that I can get a couple thousand pages out of a $10 toner cartridge.

I have a Canon. I had a Brother, and it worked well, but then the drum needed replacing, and that would've been $80 + a new toner cartridge, and we got the Canon on sale for just a bit more than that would've cost. The Canon doesn't have a separate drum, so it's just the cost of toner.

I love my laser printer. I had a backup inkjet for color, but after not printing anything on it for a few years we got rid of it.

Mine is an all in one, so I can scan in color.

I love that I can get a couple thousand pages out of a $10 toner cartridge.

I have a Canon. I had a Brother, and it worked well, but then the drum needed replacing, and that would've been $80 + a new toner cartridge, and we got the Canon on sale for just a bit more than that would've cost. The Canon doesn't have a separate drum, so it's just the cost of toner.

I thought replacing ink on a laser was much more expensive?

I have both-an old business level HP Laser, and an old HP All-in-one ink jet. It takes up a lot of space, but it lets me do cheap printing in black and white, and still have the scanner and the option to occasionally do a color page.

We bought the all-in-one 11 years ago, and the laser came from DH's company when they chose not to move it to the new building and were sending it to salvage.

I have this same set-up. My HP laser came from my husband's work and has been going strong since 2000. A new cartridge runs about $125.00.

I got an HP inkjet from my dad and only use that when I need color. It's terribly expensive so I only use when absolutely necessary.

What do you do for printing in color? Take it somewhere and have it printed? Do you have a second printer?

LOVE my laser printer! I have a Canon all-in-one, so I can print in color. It scans, prints, faxes....love it! I use TOG and print a LOT. The laser printer is so fast and much cheaper to print so many pages with color.

LOVE our Brother laser printer. I've never printed much in color. I kept our crummy HP all-in-one inkjet printer around, just for it's scanning ability.

We buy the knock-off toner cartridges from Amazon for about $15. That's less than the HP inkjet replacements :glare: (can you tell how much I detested that printer?).

Yes - it's a Brother B&W printer with duplexing (love duplexing too)

I take things to Staples. Most things can be printed quite nicely in B&W - only pictures and a set of chore cards I made needed color. And last time I used colored paper for the chore cards with the B&W printer. I used to have a color inkjet but it NEVER worked right. And I'm not a computer novice either. It had multiple issues with ease-of-use as well.

Well, I don't have a scanner. I'd love to though. Is there a reason you have to get rid of your color printer when you get a B&W? You could have both.

I :001_tt1: my laser-jet.

I got a Brother color laser printer last year for my birthday present. I think we paid under $300 for it with trading in an older printer to Office Depot. I LOVE it! I mean I LOVE it! I get knock off ink on Amazon for a fraction of what I was paying for ink. My friends love it because I happily print tons of stuff for them for just a few dollars. I love the feed for scanning to a pdf. Ummm... I was concerned about getting just black and had nowhere to put my color ink jet. My dh was like - just get the all in one color laser. I am so glad he convinced me to do it because did I mention how much I love it?

I got a Brother color laser printer last year for my birthday present. I think we paid under $300 for it with trading in an older printer to Office Depot. I LOVE it! I mean I LOVE it! I get knock off ink on Amazon for a fraction of what I was paying for ink. My friends love it because I happily print tons of stuff for them for just a few dollars. I love the feed for scanning to a pdf. Ummm... I was concerned about getting just black and had nowhere to put my color ink jet. My dh was like - just get the all in one color laser. I am so glad he convinced me to do it because did I mention how much I love it?

what model is it?

I have an HP scanner/fax/laser printer. The cartridges are about $60, but they print TONS. I would say forever, but when you print workbooks, well, not quite forever.

GH won a dell color laser so I don't have to worry about color printing, but I RARELY use it. But when I do, it prints great. And pretty fast too.

DH use to work with printers a lot, and he won't buy anything but HP. I don't know why, I just know that that is the rule. :mellow:

I got a Brother all in one, and I love it. It auto duplexes, so printing two-sided is a dream. And with the sheet feeder, it also automatically copies two-sided docs without me needing to manually manage that, even a whole stack! I had to scan a bunch of 2-sided docs into PDF's, and I just popped them into the sheet feeder, hit 'create' in Acrobat, and the printer did everything. Scan, copy, fax, wireless printing, and super cheap printing, even with mfr toner on Amazon; the high yield cartridge black prints I think 6000 pages? And the drum lasts through a bunch of those toners. Sold yet?

Printing in color: my laser prints in color. With Brother lasers, this is not expensive.

Scan: printer scans on flatbed or sheet feeder. Copies from either as well, color or B&W.

I have a Brother laser printer, and I love it. That thing can shoot out pages like you wouldn't believe, and it never jams, never goes wonky, and I can print several thousand pages with one ink cartridge.

I just print everything in black and white. There hasn't really been anything that absolutely had to be printed in color.

Exactly. :iagree::iagree::iagree:

Ours scans, too, so can't comment on that... but I will have had it for two years this November (got it for $79 on Black Friday) and it's showing no signs of needing its first toner change. So I love the low maintenance. I also love being able to highlight without smearing ink.

It's cheap, though, so it jams if I'm trying to do double-sided printing (by printing the odd pages, then manually reinserting the paper to do the even pages). I guess I wish I could do double sided printing, at least the manual way, but overall I don't think I regret getting the printer I did. It does what I need it to do.

To a laser from...what? :confused:

I have a laserjet color printer. I have never felt the need to scan anything. When I was homeschooling, color printing was not available, so I don't consider it a necessity. :-) However, because of some other things that I do (different church/para-church organizations, Austin Girls' Choir, this and that), we went ahead and got the color, although the primary consideration was duplexing. I've discovered that I cannot live with that, lol; color, yes; duplexing, no. :)

We have an HP Color Laserjet CP2025. We are very happy with it. It's our second HP; the previous (black and white) one was over 10 years old and had worked hard and well. :)

To a laser from...what? :confused:

I have a laserjet color printer. I have never felt the need to scan anything. When I was homeschooling, color printing was not available, so I don't consider it a necessity. :-) However, because of some other things that I do (different church/para-church organizations, Austin Girls' Choir, this and that), we went ahead and got the color, although the primary consideration was duplexing. I've discovered that I cannot live with that, lol; color, yes; duplexing, no. :)

We have an HP Color Laserjet CP2025. We are very happy with it. It's our second HP; the previous (black and white) one was over 10 years old and had worked hard and well. :)

from an inkjet printer

We have a CP1025NW from HP. Prints in color and prints double-sided. I have had it for a year and a half, and have printed several large binders-full of MM, and loads and loads of color google maps, etc., yet I only recently replaced the color cartridges for the first time. The black cartridge (126A) runs around $50 at OfficeMax for 1200 pages. I recently tried a knock-off black that was much cheaper but didn't last nearly as long. If I hunt around on-line, I can usually find the HP brand toner for less - I try to keep one on-hand.

The only aspect of our particular printer that I don't like is that it doesn't have a "draft" setting for using less ink. So, that's an option I'd look for when buying a new one.

Way more fun than our old color ink-jet printer :)

I have a Brother MFC-7360N. I love it so far.

It prints, scans, copies and faxes. I scan documents all the time to email. I love that it prints super fast and crisp and clear.

I only miss the color printing once or twice a year. If I really need something in color, I'd take it to Office Max.

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-ImageCLASS-MF4350d-Laser-Printer/dp/B001EWDXO8

Although I didn't pay anywhere near that price for it. I got it on sale at NewEgg.com for about $125 a couple of years ago.

I absolutely love it! It scans in color, duplexes, collates, autofeeds the items that I want copied, etc. I've only replaced the toner once and it's cheaper to replace than the ink for my inkjet. However, it is monochrome. I still have the color inkjet printer if I ever want to print in color but I haven't used that in over two years. :001_huh:

I have the HP LaserJet Pro CP1525nw and love it. I bought it directly from HP on sale for $150 (stalked Slickdeals for months waiting for a great deal). I had it for a year before I needed to replace the black toner, and I haven't needed to replace the colors yet, although I probably will before the end of this coming school year. The print quality is wonderful, printing double-sided is very simple, and the output is pretty fast. I definitely consider it one of my best homeschooling purchases.

I kept our old inkjet, which we use mostly for scanning/copying. DH will still print from it occasionally when he can't be bothered to walk upstairs where the laser printer is. ;)

Anyone else have a model number to share? I really think I might get a b&w laser. I can print a color page at the UPS store for about $.50. With a current color cartridge at about $40, that would be 80 pages at the store that can have as much color as I want on a page, and there is no way I get 80 good pages from a color cart I buy.

We have the Brother HL-2270DW. It sees a lot of heavy use ( I print two copies of Math Mammoth every year, and three of Lively Latin, and much more!) and has never had a problem. I bought it based on reviews here and on amazon.

That is a top contender for me. Along with the mfc 7860dw if I want scan and copy ability.

I might have found our solution. The HP 8600 OfficeJet Plus. It is on sale this week $229 and you can get $50 more off if you trade in a printer (Office Max, Office Depot, and Staples all have it on sale). The Staples tech guy said the cartridges have more ink and print alot more and are cheaper than the toner cartridges for the Brother Laser printers by 50% when comparing numbers of pages they are rated to print. I might be able to convice DH since we need to buy ink anyways. Our printer is old (HP, but it has served us well...but the software is always outdated...like it was "fun" for DH to get it working when we got our new desktop a while back. So with the price of ink ($60ish), trade in ($50) and my rewards money ($25) it may be worth it. We gain wireless and e-printing (the printer has an email address so you can e-mail docs from say your phone and it will print out for you).