Menu

Talk to me about real estate open houses

We're having an open house this afternoon. I've never done this before, and I'm getting a little nervous. If you think about it, it's just weird to have a bunch of strangers wandering unsupervised through your house for three hours while you're not there.

We've decluttered quite a lot, so there isn't as much *stuff* around as there used to be. Our agent warned us not to keep medications within easy access (since thieves like to walk through bathrooms and steal valuable pills), and to put keys, checkbooks, etc. away. I understand that. But what if someone decides they like a figurine, or something else that has value, and just slips it in their pocket? You can't lock up everything.

On my thread last week when I asked if Hive members would leave two workmen (one was the owner of the company) working alone for an hour in a house, most people emphatically said no. Yet this seems almost worse to me, because the visitors are wandering aimlessly from room to room eyeing everything over. Plus, there's not even a record of who they are, because not everyone wants to sign a guest book.

Do people normally bring their young children to open houses? How long does the average person stay?

Please tell your open house stories, both good and bad.

We held open houses and never had a problem. We were in a good area. If the realtor doesn't get contact info for the people that come through they are not doing their job. Some people do bring their kids.

Don't leave out jewelry, guns, medicine, money, etc. I don't think most people would pick up figurines unless they knew they were very valuable.

Do you live in a questionable area?

Not about open houses but workmen--I wouldn't leave a brand new person in the house alone, but I leave people we know and trust all the time. If my gut says it's ok, I've been known to leave someone the second time they come to my house. Others I would never leave alone, and if I feel that way about someone, I also have to question if I want them around my children and me. There are all kinds of cues I use to make that decision, but it all boils down to what my gut says. Never had an issue, and we have had plenty of work done. It just occurred to me I do use Angie's List and recommendations from friends so I feel like I have some indication the person has satisfied customers before I ever call them.

For an open house I'd try not to leave out anything particularly valuable, or even something that has real emotional value (something from a grandparent). But probably my good intentions would be abandoned about an hour before the open house, when I'd just be tossing things in laundry baskets, wiping counters and getting kids out the door!

Buying and selling are both full of things that make me uncomfortable, but sometimes it's gotta be done. I hope your home sells quickly and you find just what you're looking for. :001_smile:

Amy

No, not at all! It's very nice, with sweet neighbors. I just got spooked by all the people who said they'd been robbed by workmen in their homes.

I promise I'm not trying to scare you. We spent a year looking at houses and went into many open houses. We often went w/ my kids but repeatedly warned them not to touch anything.

Anyway, one day we were in an affluent neighborhood -- old homes, old tree, older people. Really nice. Just as we were leaving two huge men walked up to the front door and our Realtor intercepted them. My husband happened to be right behind her.

They misunderstood the sign on the lawn. The open house would be the following day and they thought it was today. And there we were. But our Realtor had taken us in a day before the open house.

Anyway, they left w/ no incident. Our Realtor then told us why she hated open houses -- because bad guys show up and steal from the Realtor.

The situation of those two huge guys kept niggling at me and I finally called the representing Realtor to tell her they might be coming through the following day. I wasn't as concerned for the Realtor as I was for the elderly couple that lived there.

So, keep in mind, that some bad guys apparently come in the day time to case the place and rob it that night.

I've never heard of this happening, but my Realtor claims it has.

Again, I'm not trying to scare you -- I just want you prepared and knowledgeable.

Alley

Open house is over! The realtor said it went very well. There were nine couples attending who were interested, and then two neighbor couples showed up out of curiosity. One couple likes the house so much that they're going to find their realtor and talk to her about making an offer!!

No thefts, LOL, but one little (unattended) boy went outside and got his feet dirty, then walked all over our entrance-hall rug. You can actually see little brown footprints. Thankfully these are carpet tiles, and we can pick the individual pieces of carpet up and wash them in the sink. No harm done.

I really "get" what it means to stage a house now. The concept just didn't exist when we last sold a house, almost 20 years ago. Back then you just needed to keep your house reasonably clean to make a good impression. Nowadays you have to move most of your belongings out and make it look like a hotel. It's not fun initially, but it sure makes it easy to keep the house picked up and ready to show.

About security: My realtor is my wonderful next door neighbor. She has a gorgeous, hunky husband who would be over in two seconds flat if anyone threatened her or our home. So I'm not worried about weird guys coming in this house, though I appreciate the warning. (And we're not likely to be here much longer, so if someone wants to case the house they'd better rob it fast before we move!)

Edited by Rebecca VA

Open house is over! The realtor said it went very well. There were nine couples attending who were interested, and then two neighbor couples showed up out of curiosity. One couple likes the house so much that they're going to find their realtor and talk to her about making an offer!!

No thefts, LOL, but one little (unattended) boy went outside and got his feet dirty, then walked all over our entrance-hall rug. You can actually see little brown footprints. Thankfully these are carpet tiles, and we can pick the individual pieces of carpet up and wash them in the sink. No harm done.

I really "get" what it means to stage a house now. The concept just didn't exist when we last sold a house, almost 20 years ago. Back then you just needed to keep your house reasonably clean to make a good impression. Nowadays you have to move most of your belongings out and make it look like a hotel. It's not fun initially, but it sure makes it easy to keep the house picked up and ready to show.

About security: My realtor is my wonderful next door neighbor. She has a gorgeous, hunky husband who would be over in two seconds flat if anyone threatened her or our home. So I'm not worried about weird guys coming in this house, though I appreciate the warning. (And we're not likely to be here much longer, so if someone wants to case the house they'd better rob it fast before we move!)

Sounds like you had a successful open house! I hope you get more than one offer.

I'm an agent, as is my husband (although he is only a part timer.) When I do an open, my husband comes too. If he is unavailable, I hire my 21 year old son to sit with me. First it's good to have someone to talk to, but also for security. Both for me and the house. With two of us we can 'trail' and chat with anyone who comes in. One can stay downstairs and one of us goes upstairs.