Menu

My daughter want to start chapter book....

jennynd

But I don't think she is there yet. What will u do?

Dd is 4.5 , finished HOP 2nd grade both old and new version. We are working through OPGTR now to make up those not taught in HOP. She reads frog and toad, some Amelia bedelia book just fine. She asked me for the past few days that she want to read chapter books.. I don't think she is ready. Although she can probably decode just fine. I don't think she have the attention span to read a long book. HOP new version has some long books at the end, we always have to break few days to finish it and that is with very simple stores line.

What I concern the most is that she will fall in the same trap as my DS, decoding without understanding the story. I don't think she will be really understand a story written for 3rd grade

Should I just let her try? And what book will u suggest. We do have magic tree house, and no, she do not like those and can't sit through it even when I read to her.

Edited by jennynd

with my oldest, who wanted to read chapter books but wasn't quite there, was that we read them out loud as bedtime stories first - talking about them chapter by chapter as necessary to help her remember the story line, and then she would read them on her own. We did the first 3 Harry Potter books this way the fall of her kindergarten year, and it really helped solidify her reading skills. Might be worth a try. Also, remember, chapter books are supposed to be read in several sittings - reading aloud and taking a minute to remember what happened last time we read this before you start the next chapter is an important skill that you can help her learn by modeling as you read together.

I was going to suggest Henry and Mudge. They technically are chapter books, although the print is most like a picture book and there are still lots of colorful pictures to help with comprehension. They range in the 2nd grade reading level, so while they might be a little easy for her, they will still be interesting to her age and start her with the slighting longer stories in a chapter format.

DD enjoyed the Young Cam Jansen books and then moved on to the regular Cam Jansen books shortly after. Some of the early chapter books are geared to 1st to 2nd grade and are only 40ish pages long with bigger text and pictures as well.

At the library we've seen some Clifford chapter books that are on the easier side.

We've been doing Thornton Burgess books, the james Herriot's Children's, and Magic tree house as chapter read-alouds. He understands way more than I thought he would. These all have some pictures, and have content that's comfortable and familiar. I'm thinking Stuart Little, Padington Bear and Wind in the Willows next.

We've moved on to these after devouring all the Beatrix Potter and Brambly Hedge books, he enjoys longer stories now.

Commander Toad, too. He's usually shelved in the "I can read" section.

For something a little longer, but still really, really easy, the Rainbow Fairies (and other Fairy books-I think there are pet fairies, music fairies, and so on as well) are on about a 1st-2nd grade level, but LOOK more like a chapter book. And they're so sweet and fluffy they'll throw your insulin levels off.

Henry and Mudge were our youngster's first chapter books,. she adored them.

There were also some wonderful I Can Read ones at the library, Clams Can't Sing was a favorite, Frog and Toad and more like them.

Unfortunately, her ideas of "chapter book" is more like what her brother reads. She has been reading frog, toad, little bears, Henry midge also for the past 6 months. She is not convinced that those are chapter books, though I told her those are. (she does like Henry and Mudge. )

She asked to read magic school bus chapter book today.

I do like the idea to read To her 1s before to have her to read. It will allow her to know the story before she read it.

Edited by jennynd

DD enjoyed the Young Cam Jansen books and then moved on to the regular Cam Jansen books shortly after. Some of the early chapter books are geared to 1st to 2nd grade and are only 40ish pages long with bigger text and pictures as well.

At the library we've seen some Clifford chapter books that are on the easier side.

This might work. The length is reasonable.

We've been doing Thornton Burgess books, the james Herriot's Children's, and Magic tree house as chapter read-alouds. He understands way more than I thought he would. These all have some pictures, and have content that's comfortable and familiar. I'm thinking Stuart Little, Padington Bear and Wind in the Willows next.

We've moved on to these after devouring all the Beatrix Potter and Brambly Hedge books, he enjoys longer stories now.

I like all the book u suggested. I think Stuart little might interested her especially she saw the movie

Commander Toad, too. He's usually shelved in the "I can read" section.

For something a little longer, but still really, really easy, the Rainbow Fairies (and other Fairy books-I think there are pet fairies, music fairies, and so on as well) are on about a 1st-2nd grade level, but LOOK more like a chapter book. And they're so sweet and fluffy they'll throw your insulin levels off.

Those faires books Do look ideal. I checked the reading level is 2-2.5Just about right on t he reading level that she should be comfortable. And she loves fairies.

I think I checked the wrong one.. It is rainbow magic?..rainbow magic is between 3.5 to 5... It might pushing it. Is the story line simple? Dd assessed decoding mid 4th grade.. So.. Some of still work if story is simple

Edited by jennynd

Those faires books Do look ideal. I checked the reading level is 2-2.5Just about right on t he reading level that she should be comfortable. And she loves fairies.

I think I checked the wrong one.. It is rainbow magic?..rainbow magic is between 3.5 to 5... It might pushing it

You should look take a look at them at a library or book store. I'm familiar with them and that level seems quite high.

You should look take a look at them at a library or book store. I'm familiar with them and that level seems quite high.

That's good insight. I just put request in my local library. i will give it a try. I never understand the reading level. That are really off sometimes

Have you tried the Mercy Watson books? They're some of our favorites and I always forget to mention them!

I always forget Mercy Watson! DD loved those when she was just starting chapter books.

The Rainbow Magic books are all in the 60ish page range and usually mid 1st-3rd level I think. DD had to read them ALL about 2-5 times. Even when it only took 15 mins to finish each one.

Have you tried the Mercy Watson books? They're some of our favorites and I always forget to mention them!

Those looks awfully cute...might be too cute for DD to believe it is a chapter book.

I put a hold in my library on some of those .. Just too cute to pass.. Thanks

Edited by jennynd

In addition to the other recommendations, perhaps some series from Francis (ex.Bread & Jam for Francis), Little Bear, & Poppleton.

I'm sure your local children's librarian and also give some suggestions on what's appropriate for age range and skill.