Menu

Non- mathy and Singapore

Mommie_Jen

Ds is doing well with Essentials so far. I originally was going to switch for first grade to something more traditional like CLE, but am considering staying with Singapore since he likes it.

I am so incredibly non-mathy it is frightening. Which seems to be the better option-teaching something more traditional that I may be more comfortable with, or learning to teach Singapore if he likes it? I worry that I won't be able to teach it effectively.

I am as non-mathy as they come. I really am. Me teaching math was the one thing that gave DH pause when we decided to home school.

We have had great success with Singapore Math. I like the teacher's guides, but didn't have them until grade 4. I could still teach SM.

You prob know more than you think you do. And, sometimes I think I make a better math teacher than someone who is very comfortable with the subject. There is no way you can fake understand math to me. I know every trick in the book. I have endless empathy if you don't understand and I will try and try again until we BOTH understand.

You can do it:)! I would definitely suggest using the Singapore Standards Edition as it has much more comprehensive teacher guides. We are using 3A/3B now and everything so far has been fairly straight forward. I am have had to teach myself the concept of using bar graphs to help solve word problems but that is about it.