Menu

I am doing a herb garden. Not in pots though. Herbs are very hardy, but I have read if you have them in pots they need to be replanted every 2 years or so.

My herb garden will be quite large. My mother just bought me this http://www.hnsimports.com.au/c/19053/1/windsor-garden-gazebo.html It will be off to one side of the herb garden, with a rambling path through the garden to get to the gazebo. I will also have a pond with waterlilies on the other side. My darling DH just spent the day fencing the whole thing in so the geese won't eat everything.

a pot-style herb garden on my deck. Any suggestions from those of you who have had success with this? Or things that went wrong?

Thanks!

:lol: I must be tired, because I read this in a whole different way than I'm sure you intended it, unless of course you're in Amsterdam. :D

On a serious note, I've never been able to get lavender or mint to grow from seed. I'm not known for having an especially green thumb, though I do try.

:lol: I must be tired, because I read this in a whole different way than I'm sure you intended it, unless of course you're in Amsterdam. :D

On a serious note, I've never been able to get lavender or mint to grow from seed. I'm not known for having an especially green thumb, though I do try.

Oh, maybe I read the thread wrong. I am/was thinking that a pot style garden is a garden planted in big plastic pots.

:lol:Lol..... I meant herbs you COOK with!

I am doing a herb garden. Not in pots though. Herbs are very hardy, but I have read if you have them in pots they need to be replanted every 2 years or so.

Thanks.... it's not practical to have an in the ground style garden in our current yard.

I have planter boxes along my kitchen window sill outside; my survivors are parsley, thyme, oregano and basil. Occasionally chives survive, coriander (I think you call it cilantro) always dies.

Some of my favorites. I guess I'm also wondering how big the pots should be to start. Do most of you start with seed or transplants?

Starting from seeds takes longer, but I prefer it because you can pick and choose exactly what varieties you want, and a packet of seeds will keep you in herbs for several years. If you don't care much, plants get you results faster. In my experience, most herbs are incredibly easy to start from seed and grow. Right now I have mint, dill, thyme, rosemary (which is evergreen and will overwinter well, so you'd need to keep transplanting every few years), and basil in containers on my patio. Spread the seeds, water them in, keep watering. Done :D

Herbs are great for pots and so easy. Anything you're planting for its leaves will do well in containers. While you're at it, plant a pot full of a greens mix. You can have fresh baby greens too!

Right now I have one large container with oregano, basil, thyme (all doing very well), and parsley (barely limping along). I also had cilantro in there, but it flowered quickly and died shortly thereafter. I also have mint in a separate garden box. If you grow mint it will completely take over and spread, so make sure to put it in a separate pot. I started with seedlings so I could start using them right away. If I try cilantro again I'll probably try seeds so I can stagger the plantings to have new plants growing to take the place of the mature plants which seem to have a short life-span.

:lol:Lol..... I meant herbs you COOK with!

It was the "pot-style garden" that threw me off, not the "herbs". ;)

I have basil & cilantro growing in a container garden on an old picnic table in my yard. They're doing well, and I intend to bring them inside for the winter. I have dill growing with some wildflowers and might dig some of those up to bring in as well.

If you do start from seed, call your local cooperative extension to find out the exact names of the plants that do best in your area - not just zone, but the local soil conditions and other considerations.

We have herbs in an Earthbox on our deck, because it is closest to our kitchen. We have cilantro, basil, 2 types of parsley, and oregano. We have a rosemary plant in one of our flower beds. Some plants are biannual - like parsley. Some reseed like cilantro. Some will come back every year as long as it isn't too cold for the winter - chives, rosemary, etc It is easiest to start with plants. Basil is rather easy to start from seed, but your need to start in in March/April.

Thank you for all the tips. For those who live in areas that get cold, when do they need to come in for the winter? Are there some that don't?

Usually before the first frost. For delicate leafy greens like herbs, I'd want to avoid any chance of even a light frost. From what I see on the weather forecast, most of the country isn't in danger of that anytime soon. :glare:

My basil is still in pots from when I dug it up & brought it in the house for the winter. It thrived in the pots mostly. During the darkest times of winter the basil stopped growing but lived on. In spring, it started growing again. I REALLY need to either put it in the ground now or give it more fertilizer.

My in the ground herbs take no care: sage, thyme, chives, oregano, parsley I have them growing in the front of the house & in the back fenced in area around the pool.

I NEVER did have any success with rosemary. I tried it in the house & in the ground and it always died.

Just remember to fertilize your potted plants. Good Luck!

I have a container herb garden this year. I'm a first time gardener but here's what I've learned. Research each herb and if you plant two kinds in the same pot, make sure they have similar needs. Your herbs need more water than what some sources tell you, especially in the heat. One place told me to water once a week like a house plant. If my basil doesn't get watered thoroughly twice a day, it starts looking very pathetic. Make sure everything is in well drained pots and you can water to your heart's content. Just because something says full sun doesn't mean it really wants full sun when the heat is this bad. I had to move my herbs to a shadier place and my oregano and peppermint and lavender are thriving but my lemon balm and basil still aren't terribly happy and my cilantro just died (the herb that I use the most). :p

I haven't read the thread, so sorry if this is all repeated information. I just researched like crazy when I was setting up and found conflicting instructions on herb care. Also, if something is looking pretty sickly, water it, put it in the shade and it may perk right back up. :)

Most of the year it looked dead. So after many years, I cleaned my garden and threw it away.

That's funny -- mine looks great and I just planted another one to get it going in another location! Two different sets of cable installers stomped my lavender to smithereens, but it's managed to recover, I am happy to say.

A neighbor had some that was growing all around the side of her house and looked really lovely.