Menu

Food Mill Vs Food Strainer

If I have a food mill is there any advantage to having a food strainer as well? Which do you prefer if you own both or have used both?

Amazon has the Victorio strainer and the accessory set on sale and I'm deciding whether or not to get them. I already own an Oxo food mill.

It seems like the food mill would be better for grinding and and mashing and maybe the strainer would be better for sauces and separating seeds from tomatoes and berries?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Doesn't the food mill paddle get in the way?

I don't know the model, but it seems you need both, and sometimes, if you are a specialty item/canning food, different sized openings.

I gave up my food mill, I used it rarely, I only used it to make potato / rice mash and that wasn't that often.

I have both.

The food mill does not work really well for large batches or foods with a lot of seeds (or foods with small seeds like raspberries). Most of the time it gets all gummed up when I use it for anything with seeds or thick skins. Often I'll put it through the mill (pushing at it with a spatula to get it through) and then put it through a finer sieve to get the clumps and small seeds out. When I'm done it always feels like there is too much 'waste.'

The Victorio strainer is really great, but its a pain to put together, so unless I'm doing large batches I tend to leave it in the box. Mostly I pull it out for apple/tomato sauce in the fall. It is very easy to use once its put together though, and it deals with things like peels, seeds, and cores thoroughly. I usually run the 'waste' product (stems, seeds, cores) through the machine a few times and it always feels like everything that can possibly be used is used. Any sauce is also fairly homogeneous in texture (no clumps).

For small batches of things I mash it up well with a potato masher or ricer and then push it through a fine sieve with a spatula.