Menu

Do you share your kids test scores ...

Only with people I'd be willing to do blood transfusions or kidney donations with. :)

Why?

Twofold reasoning really.

One, I find them slightly ridiculous for real assessment as I know how/why she learns.

Two, it can be misinterpreted - so why bother, it's like picking for a fight.

meaning year-end testing such as IOWA or Stanford, etc. .....

with your children?

Why or why not?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

Sometimes, but only for a reason.

I shared w/ my son his very high math percentile bc he lacks confidence in that area. I also shared w/ him his 2% in mapping. I shared that bc I knew it showed he had made a careless mistake--maybe skipped a line early on --and he didn't check his work. (He has LOVED maps since he was little and I'd worked through a test taking book with him so I knew he knew maps.) I wanted to show him that it was important to check over the work even if he didn't want to. I may also have shared with him his growth in spelling because we worked very hard on spelling and I wanted to show him that the diligence payed off.

I haven't shared any scores with my daughter. She doesn't lack confidence and is a careful worker. I can't see how it would mean anything to her either way.

Yes, I've always shared them with my kids. We look at the scores together to figure out if they are on track, ahead, or other. "Other" can mean things like "we studied something different than the test stuff this year, so don't worry about it" as happened sometimes when mine were younger. We celebrate with them when they are doing well and look for gaps and plan to fill in things that might be missing if needed in certain areas. It's a group effort.

Public schools share testing info with the kids. I see no reason I shouldn't share. They learn how to read test results (a good educational deal in itself) and see how they track academically among their national (or state) age group. When they get on a job they are likely to be evaluated. It's good for them to know how to rationally look at themselves and how they are doing. I don't want them to always think they are the best of the best - then get surprised later when others see them for who they truly are. I'd prefer they have a realistic view of themselves from the (relative) beginning. They know they're loved even if the tests show they need improvement in areas. They also know with a plan, things can (sometimes) improve if they don't like what they see.

Our state required testing starting in 5th grade when mine were younger, so that's when we started. My older two got their 5th grade results while in ps.

meaning year-end testing such as IOWA or Stanford, etc. .....

with your children?

Why or why not?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

When my kids were younger, no, I did not. I gave them vague info, "You're in the ____% range," or, "You did really well in (area)." My kids are four years apart, three grades apart (due to birthdays), and they were still competitive about stuff like this.:glare:

Now that they are older (middle/high school), yes, I do share. I have made it very clear that one has the advantage because she is a year older than the other one will be at that same grade level. They are old enough to "get it." My older one is the competitive one.

Yes, I do. It's a matter of respect for me. If I am going to require him to spend all of that time on a test, it's only fair that he know the results. We also sit down and compare the year to year results to see if his percentiles change. This comparison helps him to see what areas have improved & what areas might have fallen off some.

I didn't until this year, when my son took his 8th grade tests.

When my kids were younger, I didn't see that it was relevant to them. The tests only confirmed what we knew anyway - they knew where their strengths and weaknesses were, so there was no point. I also did not want to confuse them with the (imo stupid) grade equivalent part of the results.

They were satisfied when I told them their test results were "mostly fine, but here are the things we need to work on." They were never surprised by those things!

This year I went over the results with my son. As he moves into high school I want him to see exactly how his interests, efforts - and lack of same - may affect the results. I also wanted him to see why we need to spend a lot of time on math computation this year. ;) I felt he was ready for the concrete information.

So, that's my story!

Yes. Because I think it helps for them to know their strengths and weaknesses. Since they have very high scores (as compared to age peers), I also tell them that the scores are private and not something to brag about.

I also give some context. For example, GE scores in math of post high school level mean that the kid has mastered part of prealgebra.

Edited by EKS

Yes, I do. It's a matter of respect for me. If I am going to require him to spend all of that time on a test, it's only fair that he know the results. We also sit down and compare the year to year results to see if his percentiles change. This comparison helps him to see what areas have improved & what areas might have fallen off some.

Yes. Because I think it helps for them to know their strengths and weaknesses. Since they have very high scores (as compared to age peers), I also tell them that the scores are private and not something to brag about.

:iagree:I share with my dd because of/like this.

I showed the test scores to my dd, partly because she was curious, and I didn't see any reason not to tell her. In the area of math I felt it would be helpful. She felt behind in math and had been quite upset about using Singapore a semester behind grade level. Seeing that she tested over a year ahead of grade level in math made her feel a little better. :001_smile:

I shared DD's with her, because I felt it was her right to know. I also thought it would be a confidence booster for her, because she was concerned that she didn't know a lot of the math. It helped her to see that she did just fine for her age.

Her scores weren't surprises, though; she scored exactly as we expected she'd score.

My older two do tend to be competitive, but they also have very different strengths and weaknesses, so we point out their personal skills often.

No, I do not, because I have identical twins and one consistently scores higher than the other, and the lower scorer feels badly about it.

I do plan to share with them when they are older (approaching PSAT / SAT), and if they asked, I might do it.

Right now, we don't really prep for the tests (they're rising 4th graders), so it's not like they've "invested" time into it. I also tell them that the test is actually testing ME to see if we as a family are on track with what the school people think we should all be doing.

When they take their own tests (grammar, history, math), they certainly see their scores immediately. They have control over those, so it makes sense to me.

(And I would *NEVER* share their scores with other people, not even family (nobody else home schools). I just say "they do test well," and leave it at that. )

I shared my 8 yr old dds scores with her. I told her ahead of time when we were testing that the purpose of the assessment was to see if we were on track with our studies, and to find out how we should be studying in the next school year.