Menu

Piano?

StartingOver

My 4 year old is showing super strong interest in piano. I do not have the room even for an up right piano, and truly don't want to invest that much at this moment on something that could be a passing phase. I am willing to put a few hundred into an portable electric piano?? What do I need to look for? Suggestions ? She is already learning songs on her own, I do remember the keys from a million years ago. I am sure I could get my little self started, at least started enough to see if it is something she would really want to do. HELP

I can't advise you on specific keyboard choices but I will say my used upright bought from a moving friend was half the cost (including tuning) of my weighted-touch keyboard.

For lesson books, I like Piano Adventures by Faber. If your kid learns by ear, you could try the Suzuki method.

I don't have any specific recommendations because I am just starting to look myself, but a very well respected music professor from my university told me that for my DD, I didn't necessarily even need a full size 88 key model to start. I'm looking for a 61 key, weighted keyboard, I figure that will get us through 2 years or so, and then I'll know if she's going to stick with it and if I need to invest in more. (Plus by then we'll be in a house and hopefully have room for a real piano! :tongue_smilie:)

We like Faber Piano Adventures here, too.

My kids frequently practice on a keyboard (weighted keys). The only disadvantage is that ours does not support an optional pedal, so if they've been assigned a piece for pedal practice, they have to skip that one until we are back home. (the keyboard lives in our RV and is fairly old, leftover from our pre-kid, early married life. We have an upright in the house.)

When we lived in Hawaii, we started out with a weighted keyboard (we were only there for three years and were not about to invest in a piano only to have to haul it across the ocean!) We got ours from Costco. If they aren't currently selling them, I'd bet they'll be selling them as we approach Christmas. We got a weighted keyboard - that's one important thing I think, as it feels more like a piano. We actually later sold it on craigslist when we bought a piano, so you might check there as well!

Ours was something like this, but we got it much cheaper from Costco if I remember correctly. I want to say around $500 maybe? Might be worth looking around for a used one though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KVKT0M/ref=asc_df_B003KVKT0M2095378?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1046-86-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B003KVKT0M

My dd has been taking piano lessons since Jan and we only have a 26 key keyboard. Her teacher said that would actually be fine for the first couple of years. It does not have weighted keys, but that really hasn't been an obstacle. However, she is really showing a strong interest and aptitude so I am shopping around now for a larger one. Point is, you can start small and inexpensive to see if there is interest before making a big investment.