Menu

Cleaning the refrigerator inside and out

How often do you give your refrigerator a good clean? It's on my To-Do list today. I have to take everything out to get to the shelves. Then I lift them out to wash them by the sink. I get into all the nooks and crannies too. I'm always amazed at how dirty the inside can be. But I can't say I do this more than a few times each year. It's a pain in the ... well, you know. :tongue_smilie:

How often do you give your refrigerator a good clean? It's on my To-Do list today. I have to take everything out to get to the shelves. Then I lift them out to wash them by the sink. I get into all the nooks and crannies too. I'm always amazed at how dirty the inside can be. But I can't say I do this more than a few times each year. It's a pain in the ... well, you know. :tongue_smilie:

Same as you, a few times a year. In b/t I spot clean or pull out drawers that might need it. The worst problem for me is the freezer. I feel like I need to turn off the fridge so I can clean off the ice cream someone smeared on the inside wall.

My fridge is about 4 years old and in that time I have deep cleaned it......never! I do wipe up spills or sticky stuff. I keep the outside clean.

I have been thinking about doing it lately though. It's getting kind of icky. Maybe I'll put that on my to do list today before I go grocery shopping.

I pulled the frig out completely yesterday, looking for something. It's really hard to do, because it's in a tight corner. Anyway, all I have to say is YUCK! I vacuumed the coils and everything while I had it out. Next, the inside. Sigh.

Never.

Every week, before I grocery shop, I do a quick clean, and it stays clean enough that I never have to take it apart. It also keeps me on top of getting rid of things and aware of what I have so I don't buy duplicates.

I slide everything to one side of a shelf, then wipe the shelf, the adjacent wall, and the bottom of the shelf above down with a vinegar solution. Then I slide everything back and do the other side. I remove the drawers so I can get under them, and wipe around the gaskets.

It takes about 15-20 minutes/week, but it's pretty much always clean.

I pulled the frig out completely yesterday, looking for something. It's really hard to do, because it's in a tight corner. Anyway, all I have to say is YUCK! I vacuumed the coils and everything while I had it out. Next, the inside. Sigh.

I do that about every few months as well, and really it could be done monthly. Here a few weeks back dh had to pull out the frig and the stove as both needed worked on and even though I had pulled them out just a few weeks prior there was still stuff under there. It drives me bonkers.

The problem is that it's in there so tight, it's a struggle to pull it out. I have an easier time pulling it out when I can rock it back and forth, but it is really hard as it is.

However, you ladies inspired me to actually buy a new vacuum cleaner, and I'm so happy I did! It makes my life soooo much easier

I do mine every two weeks. We have a large family, so any time we have eaten almost all of the food (which is fairly often ;)), I deep clean it before we go to BJs and fill it back up again.

It's just easier for me to do it completely when it is almost empty than to spot clean it and move so many things around.

I only do my freezer once a year.

Um, I definitely don't do it often enough.

One of the things I liked about the Motivated Moms chore system was they would put cleaning one shelf/drawer/the door shelves on the rotation once every few months so it was never a very overwhelming job, but it was getting done. If only Motivated Moms would actually do the cleaning instead of just suggesting I do it . . . .

Never.

Every week, before I grocery shop, I do a quick clean, and it stays clean enough that I never have to take it apart. It also keeps me on top of getting rid of things and aware of what I have so I don't buy duplicates.

I slide everything to one side of a shelf, then wipe the shelf, the adjacent wall, and the bottom of the shelf above down with a vinegar solution. Then I slide everything back and do the other side. I remove the drawers so I can get under them, and wipe around the gaskets.

It takes about 15-20 minutes/week, but it's pretty much always clean.

This is what I do for the inside of the fridge. The outside gets down every 1-2 months and that includes pulling it away from the wall, etc.

When I get too grossed out by the stuff way back there, I clean it out. But it isn't that often. Mostly I wipe up any spills as they happen, and sometimes when the fridge is mostly empty I do a quick wipe-down of the whole thing. The few crumbs way in the back are easy enough to push out of my mind when I'm busy (which is always). As long as they don't stink.

Don't forget to take off the grill on the bottom and clean the drip pan.....you won't believe how awful it is.... I went years before doing it, and oh my...and the coils need to have the dust vacuumed off. As soon as you vacuum the coils, the frig will run quieter too.

I wipe out my fridge every night meaning I check shelves/drawers/door for spills, etc. Once/week one part of the fridge gets a focused clean (this is part of my dc's Saturday tasks). Since we "short" clean on a regular basis I don't have to deep clean except for maybe once/year (or if I'm bored and really feel the need to empty my fridge and scrub it...which happens more than I'd like it to :tongue_smilie:).