Menu

Taking a chance. Does anyone here drive a scooter(NOT a Hoveround)

Eventually, I would like to get my motorcycle license. But, for now I think I would like to get a scooter. Just a two stroke 50cc one, that goes about 45 mph max.

If you own one, or ever did. Did you like it? Did you ride it in the road, or did you ride it on the side?

Pros/cons?(other then the obvious. Rain, cold, etc)

How hilarious! I was just coming to ask about mopeds. We have two older cars and only one is working right now. I just ran out of stamps and dh is at work. It would nice to have a little moped to run to the store or post office if needed, save gas, etc.

We're in a small town and people actually ride their riding lawnmowers to the convenience store down the street. There's a certain quaintness about watching a John Deere going the road. :lol:

So I'll be :bigear: in too.

@OP I suggest that you do not purchase a 2 stroke. They pollute and are probably illegal where you live, because of that. Buy something with a 4 stroke engine. Safest color, for you to be seen by drivers of cars and trucks, is Safety Orange. Get a Full Face Safety Helmet. Preferably Safety Orange for maximum visibility. Huge amounts of information about how to ride motorcycles safely are on the web. Videos and text. Do not ride in the middle of a lane. Cars and trucks leave oil deposits there and it is very slick there, especially when or after it rains. Also, do not ride on painted lines. Same danger there from slickness.

@OP I suggest that you do not purchase a 2 stroke. They pollute and are probably illegal where you live, because of that. Buy something with a 4 stroke engine. Safest color, for you to be seen by drivers of cars and trucks, is Safety Orange. Get a Full Face Safety Helmet. Preferably Safety Orange for maximum visibility. Huge amounts of information about how to ride motorcycles safely are on the web. Videos and text. Do not ride in the middle of a lane. Cars and trucks leave oil deposits there and it is very slick there, especially when or after it rains. Also, do not ride on painted lines. Same danger there from slickness.

I already know about 2 strokes versus 4 stroke engines. My DH has been riding motorcycles all of his life. Currently has a Vulcan 1500. I have always ridden with him, but never a motorcycle on my own.

Actually, scooters are street legal here.(but still trying to find out if you can actually ride with flow of traffic, or need to stay on side) 50cc you do not need a motorcycle license. Above that you do. I thought of starting out with a 50cc scooter, then working my way up to a 4 stroke 250 Honda Rebel.

I am aware of all the dangers on the road. (oil, rain, dirt, etc).

How hilarious! I was just coming to ask about mopeds. We have two older cars and only one is working right now. I just ran out of stamps and dh is at work. It would nice to have a little moped to run to the store or post office if needed, save gas, etc.

We're in a small town and people actually ride their riding lawnmowers to the convenience store down the street. There's a certain quaintness about watching a John Deere going the road. :lol:

So I'll be :bigear: in too.

Okay, I had to chuckle on this. Maybe I should forget the scooter and just ride my riding lawnmower!!!!:lol:

Eventually, I would like to get my motorcycle license. But, for now I think I would like to get a scooter. Just a two stroke 50cc one, that goes about 45 mph max.

If you own one, or ever did. Did you like it? Did you ride it in the road, or did you ride it on the side? Pros/cons?(other then the obvious. Rain, cold, etc)

I have a little Honda scooter, that goes about 40 mph. I LOVE it, it's great. I try to ride mainly on roads where the speed limit is 40 or less, so I am riding with the flow of traffic. I ride in the road (in the part of the lane where car tires go.)

Gas mileage is great, I park right in front of stores near the bike rack, as long as I'm not in the way. I have a basket on the back to put purchases in.

The only thing to be careful of (besides the obvious...) is that the small wheels make it feel kind of squirrelly until you get used to it.

I tell people I'll get a Harley when I grow up.

We have some nice bike paths in our part of town, and I wanted to stick with them instead of the roads. I got an electric bicycle.

http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technologies-Step-thru-Electric-Bicycle/dp/B004QHC04W/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1342296629&sr=1-5

I LOVE it. It's SO much fun. I usually stick with pedal assist instead of throttle control. I will occasionally throttle up hills if no one is around. I use it to go to our library, PO, pharmacy. . .These are all close, but really too far to walk. I'm not sure if this is helpful to you at all, but I wanted to share. :D

Jennifer

We have some nice bike paths in our part of town, and I wanted to stick with them instead of the roads. I got an electric bicycle.

http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technologies-Step-thru-Electric-Bicycle/dp/B004QHC04W/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1342296629&sr=1-5

I LOVE it. It's SO much fun. I usually stick with pedal assist instead of throttle control. I will occasionally throttle up hills if no one is around. I use it to go to our library, PO, pharmacy. . .These are all close, but really too far to walk. I'm not sure if this is helpful to you at all, but I wanted to share. :D

Jennifer

that would be an interesting option too. Do you have to license those at all?

Hmm. . .I would think it would vary by state. In MN, those motor scooters the kids ride aren't legal. They are only meant to be ridden on private property. (Don't get me wrong. They're all over the place.) The electric bike isn't expressly covered. IIRC, they don't have vehicle identification numbers, so they can't be licensed.

Jennifer

Hmm. . .I would think it would vary by state. In MN, those motor scooters the kids ride aren't legal. They are only meant to be ridden on private property. (Don't get me wrong. They're all over the place.) The electric bike isn't expressly covered. IIRC, they don't have vehicle identification numbers, so they can't be licensed.

Jennifer

I just checked, they don't have to be licensed, but the operator must hold a valid license. That's up to 50cc, 30 mph limit. That's electric bikes or mopeds.

The only restriction is that you can't drive them on "roads designated as part of the federal interstate system."

I just checked, they don't have to be licensed, but the operator must hold a valid license. That's up to 50cc, 30 mph limit. That's electric bikes or mopeds.

The only restriction is that you can't drive them on "roads designated as part of the federal interstate system."

That is the way it is here. I don't know, but I really think I would like one!

That is the way it is here. I don't know, but I really think I would like one!

I think I would too. The Vespa is probably out of my price range, but a nice entry level model would do. Dh rode motorcycles before we met, so he could teach me not to be a dork on one. I think it would be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the 50cc size but had to get a bigger (150cc) one to handle the hill to our house. We're in a college town, and see them everywhere here. Mostly, my ds drives it to work/school since the motorcycle parking is way closer to his buildings. He rides it in the road, same as a car.

We had the 50cc size but had to get a bigger (150cc) one to handle the hill to our house. We're in a college town, and see them everywhere here. Mostly, my ds drives it to work/school since the motorcycle parking is way closer to his buildings. He rides it in the road, same as a car.

They are SO COOL!!!! I haven't seen a single ne in New England but you can rent them n the White Mountains.

I wold need the bigger one to get nto town. The country road which leads to the main road is 40 mph so we need the bigger one.

I think they lok like a cross between a motorcycle and a VW Bug!!!

I've emailed the company for a ball oark quote. Can you tell me what that might be?:bigear:

I want a motorcycle. I really want a bike. Something fast and sexy looking. :D

Oh, sorry, that wasn't the question, was it?

I actually opened this thread because the title made me laugh. My daughter wants a Hoveround. Yes, my 6.5 year old, pretty sure she's ADHD, never stops moving child wants a Hoveround. Because "walking is hard sometimes" :glare:. Lazy, lazy girl. :lol: Everytime the commercial comes on TV, she perks right up and says "That's what I want!!" Guess she hasn't noticed that it's all old(er) people.