Menu

Adding Singapore Challenging Problems/Intensive Practice question

praisefor3

We've never used either of these with Singapore but I am thinking of adding one or both for the next child. However, I was wondering about using them 1 book behind. DD just finished 1A and we are starting 1B. Although she "got it" I was wondering if it would be beneficial to use the previous book (1A in this case) to review and lock in while completing 1B. (It actually may be more relevant in higher levels than 1A.) I would not be using it to teach concepts, just to reinforce.

Also, I don't want to overdo, so if I was going to add just one of these books (challenging problems or intensive practice)...which one would you add?

The IP books help a LOT. I don't even use them one level behind. They're pretty thick, though and it can be hard to get through them before you start on the next level (with the textbook/workbook).

We've used both CWP and IP and prefer the IP books - not sure why.

We started using IP 1B when DS started 2A and have continued to use them 1 book behind. We started CWP 2 when he started 2B.

For the IP he does 20 minutes twice a week as a math reveiw. Some topics we get through quickly and it takes us just a few review days to finish the topic. Others drag on for weeks.

The other 3 days a week we do one random CWP problem as part of our normal math time. We are still working our way through CWP 2

We've never used either of these with Singapore but I am thinking of adding one or both for the next child. However, I was wondering about using them 1 book behind. DD just finished 1A and we are starting 1B. Although she "got it" I was wondering if it would be beneficial to use the previous book (1A in this case) to review and lock in while completing 1B. (It actually may be more relevant in higher levels than 1A.) I would not be using it to teach concepts, just to reinforce.

Also, I don't want to overdo, so if I was going to add just one of these books (challenging problems or intensive practice)...which one would you add?

We use them at grade level. I use the IP along side the workbooks for more challenging problems, and when my son has finished the level he is on, I go back and have him do the CWP books (at the same grade level) from the beginning.

For example with one of my sons this past year, he did SM Standards Primary Math 4 along with IP 4A,4B (US edition). The US edition (which is what the current IP's are) does not line up exactly, but many of the sections do, so we made it work. When we finished level 4, he went through CWP4 Standards edition as a review. I particularly pay attention to the ending sections 'Mixed Problems' - to see what he remembers.

On the differences between CWP and IP, I prefer the IP books because I find them to present problems in a more visual way; and visual problem solving is something I'm encouraging with all my children. I have found the challenge levels of the IP books in some cases to be more difficult than the CWP books, but it really depends on the problems and sections.

The nice thing about the newer standards CWP books is that the sections line up with the Primary Math Standards edition that we're doing, and for that reason they will have more challenging problems for the sections not found in the IP books.

At level 1, I prefer the IPs to the CWP because of the visual appeal of the IPs. What I did with my 1st grader this past year, is when he finished Primary math standards 1A,1B, I had him work through all of IP1A and the IP1B. The way the concepts are presented encourage the child to really think about what they've learned, but its not too big of a leap. Then we moved on to CWP1.

Good luck. :)

We just finished 3B Standards, and we do the CWP one semester behind. So next month we'll start 4A, but will have the last half of CWP 3 to do. We do it together on a dry erase board about twice a week. We do not do the IP since it just totally added on a whole bunch more stress to our math day. And with review and math games we do, we are spending enough time in our day in math that adding the IP was just torture for us. If she enjoyed doing math more and needed more challenges, I would definitely use it.

On the differences between CWP and IP, I prefer the IP books because I find them to present problems in a more visual way; and visual problem solving is something I'm encouraging with all my children.

:iagree: You put into words what I could not! That's why we prefer the IP workbooks - it's because of the visual aspect. My kids' eyes glaze over when we open the CWP workbooks.

When we used US Edition we used the IP as supplement and never went with the CWP because, in my honest opinion, Singapore has PLENTY of challenging word problems already in the curriculum! Last year we switched to CA Standards edition & dropped the IP altogether because it was obvious that it's built right into the Standards curriculum & again with the CWP, simply unnecessary imho! (although I do think IP is a fundamental part of the US Edition materials & I would not use those materials without IP)