Menu

How long is your typical church service?

Just curious... how long are your Sunday church services and how long are the sermons?

Our services are 1 1/2 hours long and the sermons are between 35 - 40 minutes.

Our service is about 1hr 45 min. Our sermons are around 15 mins give or take. I no longer wear a watch and I don't check my phone during services so I'm not real sure exactly how long the sermons are.

edited to add: this includes just about 150-175 people taking communion every week with only one or two chalices being used (we don't use those little plastic cups).

Edited by PrincessMommy

we have a 3 hour block of three meetings.

sacrament meeting - 70 minutes

sunday school - 50 minutes

relief society (the women's meeting) - 50 minutes

two 10 minutes breaks for passing.

eta: other ages are divided up appropriately during the second and third hours.

we have three congregations meeting in our building, so they repeat the same schedule. start times vary from year to year as we take turns.

Edited by gardenmom5

Presbyterian church= the total service is about 65 minutes though sometimes a bit longer. I have no idea how long the sermon is but probably not longer that 20-25 minutes just because I can actually stay attentive to it. I usually attend the second service which is the more formal service. (I just like it that the second service attenders are much more likely to sing than the first service people. I thought it had to do with the style of music- first service is contemporary but when one week the contemporary group covered both services, the second service was still much more into singing.)

Service is 65-75 minutes long and sermon is 35-45 minutes of it. We are reformed (URC).

Joy

Same here, but we attend a Southern Baptist church. Before that, there is a 1hr.15 min period for Sunday School (relaxed arrival time- about an hour for actual class).

Hour for Low Mass without Benediction; another 15 to 30 minutes longer for High Mass or Benediction afterwards. Tridentine Catholic.

ETA: I haven't timed Father's homilies, but they're generally 3 to 4 decades.

:lol:

Father B's re about 15 minutes and he's our Pastor, Father A's are a history lesson (swoon), Father C, if he remembers to say it in English and not Philipino, 15 (because then he has to go back and say it in English for us), and he's the jokester who manages to punch you while you're laughing.

I like High Mass, but Dh and the kids prefer low, but we go to dailies too, which we're in and out in .30.

Three scripture readings are not a part of the homily, nor are the psalms.

Edited by justamouse

Service is about 1 hr 15 min. Sermon is expository and about 45 minutes. We're reformed baptist. We also have Sunday School before that which is 1 hr.

This is about the length of our service as well, although we are reformed southern baptists. My husband is the pastor & he normally preaches 35-45 mins. My oldest son thinks it is too long because every 10 mins he says, "Is daddy almost done?" :-)

We have Matins first, but most people don't come to that. It goes for about and hour and 15 min. Then Divine Liturgy is approximately 1 1/2 hours. If there is a memorial afterward, add about another 10 minutes. Then we have Sunday School for the kids, which is short, about 10 minutes. We always have coffee hour too for everyone. Usually we're not out of there until about 1 pm. (This is an Orthodox church, BTW). At the Catholic church my dh attends, Mass is an hour more or less, homilies are usually about 15-20 minutes.

Ours is identical to this, basically. Our Sunday school is maybe a little longer--like 15-20 minutes. It's out for the summer, though, and will pick up in September. Oh, I forgot; Father's sermon is 12-15 minutes. For EO, RC, and likely several others, worship is not about the sermon, though we have one, or the Scripture readings, though we have those too; worship is centered in the Eucharist and receiving Christ.

Edited by Caitilin