Menu

Getting More & More Overwhelmed RE: Language Arts, help?

Shelsi

This will be my 3rd year of HSing but this year I'm adding my youngest into the mix who's starting kindy.

With my oldest who's going into 3rd grade I wasn't expecting to HS. He went to public kindy for half the year and we were so unhappy with it that we pulled him out. He HATED writing, coloring, or anything of the sort and LA was always the hardest subject for us to get through. We bounced around through various curriculums (Sing, Spell, Read, & Write, Explode the Code, and K12) and somehow he managed to still turn into an excellent reader & speller who still detests writing (as in the physical act, not composition).

All that to say that I don't want that to happen again with dd. My MIL is actually a Spalding Method instructor for teachers and I like the idea of that method. I should say here that my dd, who will be 5 in a few weeks loves to write.

I want something that is mostly open & go. I piece together the kids' science & history myself already and I can't take on doing LA as well. I want something that is a complete LA program and I'd like something that will eventually lead us to MCT which my 3rd grader is starting this year.

I'm looking at LOE right now but I'm worried about adapting it for my kindergartner. She went to preschool last year and knows the alphabet and most of their sounds. She likes to write & be creative and she is just dying to learn how to really write & spell so she can make her own stories.

I've also looked at All About Reading but I think I'm starting to lean away from it now.

Oh and I've looked at The Phonics Road but I ordered the sample pack with DVD and I found the DVD terribly irritating. I really really don't want to have to watch anymore so I think that one is out then.

Also, I'm more of an eclectic homeschooler - I just use bits and pieces that seem to work for us.

Any ideas? The more I look the more overwhelmed I get.

Have you look at Spell to Write and Read? It's what you go to if the streamlined nature of WRTR isn't cutting it. Same philosophy, way more expansion. LOE isn't right for a 5yo (imho, not having used it, just looking at it at the convention). She's working on a K5 level, but no clue if it's ready. But yeah, just have your mother teaching you Spalding and go apply it with the extra goodies in SWR and you'll be on your way.

BTW, you got your hates to write dc evaluated, right? That can be an OT or vision issue.

If you like Spalding, learn from your MIL and use that!

I believe the issue with writing is often that the mechanics are pushed too heavily, too soon, especially before reading is cemented (kids get frustrated when they can't capture their thoughts). Pursue handwriting, focus on reading, and THEN add journaling, and keep it light and "as needed" (writing postcards, spelling word families) until MCT (2nd/3rd grade).

We use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons coupled with Leapfrog's Letter Factory DVD. I follow up with AAS, since I've learned that being able to read well doesn't mean they'll be able to spell well. It has worked fantastically for all 6 of my kids. My youngest finished the book shortly before she turned 5 (she was eager to read, too) and now reads on at least a 3rd grade reading level.

Thanks for the ideas so far! I should have mentioned that I prefer a secular curriculum, or mostly secular in any case. Also my MIL has discussed Spalding with me a bit but I doubt she'll teach it to me. She doesn't live nearby and whenever I've asked for guidance in regards to HSing she gives me non-answers and changes the subject. She holds several PhD's in education and I'm fairly certain she strongly disagrees with HSing in general but she's respectful enough to keep her thoughts to herself. I'm sure if I have specific questions she would answer them though. I've read The Writing Road to Reading and I think I "get it."

Ok so now I'm looking at SWR. Can anyone tell me if it's secular? After much digging I was finally able to find samples online but I also see the website that sells it has bible study available as well. It doesn't have to be totally secular but I'd really rather it not be steeped in religious references.

Can I use SWR as a spelling curriculum for my 3rd grader as well? If so that would be fabulous.

Does it include handwriting or do I add that on myself? Is grammar included?

Hahaha, you know *I* would get WRTR and learn it simply to spite your mother!! :lol:

Seriously, that is so pathetic to think you can't do this because you aren't a professional or that homeschooling isn't good enough. Mercy.

Yes, SWR is going to have religious references. Here's the scoop though. The manual itself is just a manual, no issue there. The Wise Guide has two components on each two-page spread. There's the upper section with the words, their markings, and the sample sentences for each word (something WRTR does NOT give you) and then a lower section that has enrichment/application activities. There's nothing distinctly christian about the enrichment activities. Your only issue is with those sample sentences. I've used them with an adult non-christian ESL student, and she didn't flinch. Many of them are historical references to chritianity, for instance something abraham lincoln might have said about the Bible. Sometimes they're from the mcguffy readers or shakespeare. They're soemthing you could change on the fly. If SWR gets you 80% of where you want to be, then it's probably worth it to you.

Despite the hubub, for the average user SWR and WRTR are largely interchangeable. It's really just about which gives you the tools you need to implement them easily. I started with WRTR and quickly switched to SWR when I realized I needed more help with what to DO with those lists. The Spalding Foundation has since come out with a lot of extra materials. They would of course be secular. But WRTR isn't ROCKET SCIENCE. Get it from the library, read it, play around with it a bit, see what you think. Then you'll know if you're happy sticking there, want their grade leveled plans, want SWR, whatever.

But oh yeah, definitely take up the challenge. That's just too juicy to take on what is, honestly, the BEST method of instruction out there and do it without your mom and her professional knowledge. You can do this. :D

Edited by OhElizabeth

Can I use SWR as a spelling curriculum for my 3rd grader as well? If so that would be fabulous.

Yes, both SWR and WRTR are multi-level. SWR includes enrichments to apply the words to grammar, etc. For a young student they are sufficient (K5-1st, maybe 2nd). For an older student, I would add grammar and be done with it. If they haven't done FLL1/2, it's great. Shurley is great. Lots of great stuff out there. I'm not of the overkill grammar camp but my dc is grammar-phobic to start with. Pick something gentle and do it. Also some of the great writing programs for that age (love, love Writing Tales!!!) integrate grammar.

Thanks for the ideas so far! I should have mentioned that I prefer a secular curriculum, or mostly secular in any case. Also my MIL has discussed Spalding with me a bit but I doubt she'll teach it to me. She doesn't live nearby and whenever I've asked for guidance in regards to HSing she gives me non-answers and changes the subject. She holds several PhD's in education and I'm fairly certain she strongly disagrees with HSing in general but she's respectful enough to keep her thoughts to herself. I'm sure if I have specific questions she would answer them though. I've read The Writing Road to Reading and I think I "get it."

Ok so now I'm looking at SWR. Can anyone tell me if it's secular? After much digging I was finally able to find samples online but I also see the website that sells it has bible study available as well. It doesn't have to be totally secular but I'd really rather it not be steeped in religious references.

We are a secular family as well. SWR is not secular and does have Christian content in some of its sample sentences. I usually just made up my own sentence. Since all the materials are for the parent, not the student, it was not a big problem for me, as it is just one or two sentences per list, not the whole thing. Of course, ds always figured out when I was making up my own sentences and wanted to know the real one :lol: but for this very secular family it worked very well. The sentences are more example sentences, more matter of fact, seemed more literary to me, they were quite nice actually.

Eta: most of the sample sentences were secular so I was able to use those as is, just once in a while I had to modify them.

Your MIL is a Spalding instructor? Girl!!! Why are you even considering anything else??!!!:D

I know, I know but she doesn't live nearby plus she's incredibly busy since she's a professor of both IRL classes & online classes plus she's an author and working on some new stuff. FTR, the pp suggested above that my MIL thinks a "professional" can't learn it but that's not at all what she's like or what she would think. She just doesn't believe in HSing as can be well understood considering public education has been her life work pretty much. She's respectful of our choices but I think she prefers to just stay out of it and let me do my own thing.

She will be visiting soon and now I'm thinking of purchasing SWR to have her look at it and tell me what she thinks.

We are a secular family as well. SWR is not secular and does have Christian content in some of its sample sentences. I usually just made up my own sentence. Since all the materials are for the parent, not the student, it was not a big problem for me, as it is just one or two sentences per list, not the whole thing. Of course, ds always figured out when I was making up my own sentences and wanted to know the real one :lol: but for this very secular family it worked very well. The sentences are more example sentences, more matter of fact, seemed more literary to me, they were quite nice actually.

Eta: most of the sample sentences were secular so I was able to use those as is, just once in a while I had to modify them.

Thanks so much for your explanation - that clears it up beautifully.

Anyone have any other LA program suggestions? I'm not totally stuck on a Spalding method, I'm open to other ideas.

If I were going to use SWR or WRTR what would you use for grammar so that dd is ready for MCT later on?

I just wanted to chime in here, because I also have a 3rd grader and a Kinder this year. My kinder is using OPGTR (we did about half of 100 Easy Lessons and are switching over), ETC, and HWOT. I used the same things previously for my dd and was happy. My dd went on to use FLL, WWE, and Spelling Workout in 1st grade.

Thanks for all the help everyone. More than anything sometimes I just need to "talk" things out to organize it all in my mind, kwim?

For right now I've decided to go with WRTR for dd. I asked MIL to help me out - not sure if she will or not but I've read the book a few times now and I think I "get" it. If it's not jiving for us after a bit then I'll make a switch but I figure I should start with our cheapest option first and then work our way up if we need to.

I'm going to use WRTR for my 3rd grader's spelling curriculum. He could use some extra instruction in phonics since we skipped around a lot previously and I'm sure it'll help him spell larger words.

I haven't decided on a handwriting program yet but I've got another thread going on that topic. I'm going to teach both the kids cursive - I'm thinking either HWOT or LoE's cursive program.

You did notice WRTR gives you instructions for handwriting right in the book, right? It's something you teach as you teach the phonograms. You don't *have* to buy something extra. I would only do that if it makes your life easier. When my dd was little I got a font or sometimes just wrote out the copywork by hand.

If I were going to use SWR or WRTR what would you use for grammar so that dd is ready for MCT later on?

You have already decided to use Spalding, so this question is moot, but I'll just suggest that some people have done the free Grammar Land by E. Nesbit and/or The Sentence Family as a precursor to MCT.

You did notice WRTR gives you instructions for handwriting right in the book, right? It's something you teach as you teach the phonograms. You don't *have* to buy something extra. I would only do that if it makes your life easier. When my dd was little I got a font or sometimes just wrote out the copywork by hand.

Yes and I've heard the 6th edition has really good instruction. I've only had the 4th edition so far (complete with record in the back) but I just ordered the 6th edition so I'm holding off on buying any other handwriting curriculum until I see this one.

As for grammar, sometimes I need something that REALLY holds my hand because it's something that never "clicked" for me in school. I couldn't explain what a direct object is if my life depended on it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. More than anything sometimes I just need to "talk" things out to organize it all in my mind, kwim?

For right now I've decided to go with WRTR for dd. I asked MIL to help me out - not sure if she will or not but I've read the book a few times now and I think I "get" it. If it's not jiving for us after a bit then I'll make a switch but I figure I should start with our cheapest option first and then work our way up if we need to.

I'm going to use WRTR for my 3rd grader's spelling curriculum. He could use some extra instruction in phonics since we skipped around a lot previously and I'm sure it'll help him spell larger words.

I haven't decided on a handwriting program yet but I've got another thread going on that topic. I'm going to teach both the kids cursive - I'm thinking either HWOT or LoE's cursive program.

You don't really need to use anything except Spalding for your dc's penmanship. They'll start with basic manuscript, but once they are proficient with that--which won't take long at all--you teach them how to connect the letters. Instant cursive. Easy peasy. :) I mean, you can spend the extra money if you want to, but truly, it isn't necessary. Spalding really does cover it all. :-)

And I would try to commit to doing Spalding for a year.

Shurley and Winston are both good options for serious grammar strugglers. I used Shurley with my dd, but Winston kicks it up a notch by adding manipulatives. I wouldn't hesitate to add on a grammar program. Contextualized grammar is nice and important to do, but for us it was a supplement to gentle, persistent, spiraling lessons. Shurley made that painless for us, highly recommend. It's the Q&A flow in Shurley that makes it so good. It's the same thought process we used in the Russian classes I took in college and even advanced grammar classes. It's just a sound way to think through grammar. No need to reinvent the wheel. Feel free to buy a curriculum for grammar if it helps you. :)