Menu

The best part of turning 40?!

:bigear:

The 'senior moment' thread got me so tickled that I had to know the upside to turning 40!! I am less than six months from the BIG 40. I will say that turning 40 does bother me. :glare: I hate to admit that but it does. I fear all the health factors and aging ailments that will certainly start to rear their ugly heads. :001_huh:

So, what are the wonderful aspects to 40?! I know there are some!!!

:bigear::bigear:

My 20s were all about me--getting my degree, getting married, first jobs, then first babies. Lots of firsts!

My 30s were all about my depression. Well, more than that, but they sucked.

My 40s were much more stable as I discovered how my childhood/past had impacted who I'd become, my worldview, my self image--and I grew a lot during that time. My faith grew leaps and bounds, not only thru good experiences, but thru some pretty harsh ones. My marriage, my children, my friends and my God all became so much more important to me. I became better at living the life I had, instead of pining away for something that just isn't going to happen. (Once I vented about that here--and got such good advice!) Acceptance and joy in the life you are living keeps you living THIS life--you can't really LIVE a life based only in the future or based on someone else's life! And you MISS OUT when you are not present.

I will be 50 next year. Each decade has brought its own gifts--don't fear forty!! I'm looking forward to 50!!

My 20s were all about me--getting my degree, getting married, first jobs, then first babies. Lots of firsts!

My 30s were all about my depression. Well, more than that, but they sucked.

My 40s were much more stable as I discovered how my childhood/past had impacted who I'd become, my worldview, my self image--and I grew a lot during that time. My faith grew leaps and bounds, not only thru good experiences, but thru some pretty harsh ones. My marriage, my children, my friends and my God all became so much more important to me. I became better at living the life I had, instead of pining away for something that just isn't going to happen. (Once I vented about that here--and got such good advice!) Acceptance and joy in the life you are living keeps you living THIS life--you can't really LIVE a life based only in the future or based on someone else's life! And you MISS OUT when you are not present.

I will be 50 next year. Each decade has brought its own gifts--don't fear forty!! I'm looking forward to 50!!

Oh THIS!! Yes, this is what I've seen in my own life so far.I'm so praying my 40's are kinder than my 30's have been. :001_smile: I can see exactly the same common theme in my life as what you've described in your own. Thank you for offering hope and encouragement. I really needed it! :grouphug:

Lots of wisdom in this post.

You know better than to put up with any one else's chronic dysfunctional behavior for any length of time! :thumbup1:

:iagree::iagree:

Chris, I could have written your post! Except my 30s were about babies, too. ;) I spent the 3rd decade of my life living in a sometimes suffocating and debilitation depression. I'm finally on the other end (Praise only be to GOD!), staring down 40 in 2 weeks and have been getting myself all worked about this silly number. 40. I didn't want a party, didn't want it to be recognized, didn't want to even THINK about turning 40. Like it was some horrible number or worse...like my life was over! How ridiculuous is that? :confused: Chris, you have just put it all into perspective for me and made me realize that turning 40 is going to be FABULOUS! I'm older, wiser, more confident (read: just don't give a you-know-what about what people think anymore!) and made it through the darkness of depression! This is to be celebrated...not forgotten! AND, I'm still young enough to have another baby or 2...that would be a wonderful birthday present. Thanks, Chris. You made my night. :)

Chris, I could have written your post! Except my 30s were about babies, too. ;) I spent the 3rd decade of my life living in a sometimes suffocating and debilitation depression. I'm finally on the other end (Praise only be to GOD!), staring down 40 in 2 weeks and have been getting myself all worked about this silly number. 40. I didn't want a party, didn't want it to be recognized, didn't want to even THINK about turning 40. Like it was some horrible number or worse...like my life was over! How ridiculuous is that? :confused: Chris, you have just put it all into perspective for me and made me realize that turning 40 is going to be FABULOUS! I'm older, wiser, more confident (read: just don't give a you-know-what about what people think anymore!) and made it through the darkness of depression! This is to be celebrated...not forgotten! AND, I'm still young enough to have another baby or 2...that would be a wonderful birthday present. Thanks, Chris. You made my night. :)

:iagree:

I felt the same way about turning 40. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one and that that i should be celebrating too!!!

I agree with the poster who said your not turning 50, 60, or 70.

Turning 40 just .................sucks.:tongue_smilie: I am 44, and dreading getting near the 50 mark.

The ONLY good thing I can say about being in your 40's is that you know that the end of getting your periods is getting closer. I can't WAIT for that day.

I am having a sanitary product burning party when menopause hits for me.

Other then that, sorry............40 means Dr's telling you "you knowwwww...your at that AGE now"

Ugghhhhhhhhhhhh..........................:glare: