Menu

Math Question

There've been some interesting math threads lately and I was hoping someone can help me out with planning my son's high school math. He'll be in 9th grade in the fall and is interested in studying engineering in college, so I want to make sure he has the math he needs.

He's working on AoPS Geometry right now and will finish sometime this fall. My question is whether to have him do Algebra II this year as well. He's also interested in trying out some Number Theory and I think he could use a refresher of some of the tougher Algebra I topics. I guess my real question is whether there's any major benefit to starting Calculus in 11th grade instead of 12th? We do have access to dual enrollment.

I will likely let him make the final decision on this, or let the rest of his workload dictate what he does about math, but I want to make sure I understand both sides.

Thanks!

I delayed both of my older two boys so they'd be doing Calc in 12th instead of 11th. I preferred them having it right before they would be doing it in their 4 year school and I wanted them to retake it there as opposed to getting out of it via credit (which still could have worked with 12th).

Other classes can fit in nicely junior year.

The only benefit of doing calculus early that I can see is the possibility to take calculus based physics in high school. My DD will be in 11th grade this fall; she did calc 1 over the summer so she can take calc based physics at the university in 11th grade. This is something she is interested in and wanted to do, not a requirement for college admission.

As far as college is concerned, in most cases students will retake calculus at the university, but some exposure before is beneficial. (And many engineering students never had any calculus in high school.)

Your son is so far ahead in the math sequence that he has plenty of time to explore discrete math if that is what he is interested in. I see no need to rush to calculus.

Coming from an engineer here. I went to PS and didn't take calculus until college. I started out in a different major and took a business calculus class as my first math in college. I then changed majors and took Calc 1.

At least some colleges Calc 1 and Physics 1 are taken together. The math came pretty natural to me, but I struggled through the physics. How familiar is you son with the concepts in physics? Are you planning on doing a calc based physics class in high school? One thing that I would try to make sure of is that the concepts of physics are understood before walking into the first physics class at an engineering school. If it helps any what I am discussing is what is a vector, what is friction, what are spring constants, what is work, what is energy, what is the period of a wave, what is a force, what is momentum, what is acceleration, what is velocity. Does he have a physical understanding of these things?

The only benefit of doing calculus early that I can see is the possibility to take calculus based physics in high school. My DD will be in 11th grade this fall; she did calc 1 over the summer so she can take calc based physics at the university in 11th grade. This is something she is interested in and wanted to do, not a requirement for college admission.

I wanted to put off Calculus until 12th grade, since DS is planning to go into engineering and I figured he'd be retaking it at college anyway.... but he has come up with a few projects that might require calculus (a science project that relies on some sophisticated mechanics, and several electronics projects that I don't understand), and all of a sudden that's what we're doing!

Thanks so much, I think he'll have a better and less stressful year if we hold off on Algebra II for another year.

He has done some physics - most of Physics Matters from Singapore Math, but will definitely be doing one of the AP Physics courses in 11th or 12th. Am I right in thinking at AP Physics B wouldn't give him any useful university credit, but would prepare him well enough for calculus-based physics?

My son had a 9 month break between calc 1 and calc 2. He said getting back into gear was much harder than he thought it would be.

Dd1 had a 3.3 year gap between calc 2 and calc 3 -- and she strongly recommends that NO ONE take that much of a gap. She survived with flying colors, but her calc 3 prof was very patient with her forgetfulness.

So I recommend calc during senior year and NOT taking a break between calc 1 and calc 2!

Am I right in thinking at AP Physics B wouldn't give him any useful university credit, but would prepare him well enough for calculus-based physics?

Correct.

If he wants to go into engineering, AP Physics B will not waive the physics requirement, but it will be a great preparation for calculus based physics.

And if he changes his mind and chooses a different major, there are quite a few where AP physics B would satisfy the college's algebra based physics requirement.

My son had a 9 month break between calc 1 and calc 2. He said getting back into gear was much harder than he thought it would be.

Dd1 had a 3.3 year gap between calc 2 and calc 3 -- and she strongly recommends that NO ONE take that much of a gap. She survived with flying colors, but her calc 3 prof was very patient with her forgetfulness.

So I recommend calc during senior year and NOT taking a break between calc 1 and calc 2!

Gwen, I understand about not having a gap, that is always a bad idea. But why would that translate into the recommendation to take calc in senior year? The student could simply continue with calc 3. Am I missing something?

Guest mathmommy

Most high school calculus classes are only one semester of college calculus. So if you take AP Calculus AB in 11th grade then AP Calculus BC in 12th grade you will finish one year of college calculus and have no gaps other than summer. That might be something to think about.

Most high school calculus classes are only one semester of college calculus. So if you take AP Calculus AB in 11th grade then AP Calculus BC in 12th grade you will finish one year of college calculus and have no gaps other than summer. That might be something to think about.

Thanks! If he does want to speed ahead to calculus, I'll keep that option in mind.