Menu

Can I ask SC homeschoolers a question?

Where did you hear that? There is no compulsory attendance in SC until age 6 - although the school district will tell you age 5. This may be helpful to you -- if your dd isn't 6 by Sept. 1 you don't have to do anything. Once they turn 6 you need to either place them in ps or select your accountability assoc -- the school district; SCAIHS; or a 3rd option group. I know w/ SCAIHS they notify the school district for you that you are hsing through them - I don't know about 3rd option groups. Does that help?

SECTION 59-65-10.

Responsibility of parent or guardian; notification by school district of availability of kindergarten; transportation for kindergarten pupils.

(A) All parents or guardians shall cause their children or wards to attend regularly a public or private school or kindergarten of this State which has been approved by the State Board of Education or a member school of the South Carolina Independent Schools' Association or some similar organization, or a parochial, denominational, or church-related school, or other programs which have been approved by the State Board of Education from the school year in which the child or ward is five years of age before September first until the child or ward attains his seventeenth birthday or graduates from high school. A parent or guardian whose child or ward is not six years of age on or before the first day of September of a particular school year may elect for their child or ward not to attend kindergarten. For this purpose, the parent or guardian shall sign a written document making the election with the governing body of the school district in which the parent or guardian resides. The form of this written document must be prescribed by regulation of the Department of Education. Upon the written election being executed, that child or ward may not be required to attend kindergarten.

I was getting the notification from the statute previously mentioned. I was going to go with the accountability option when we have to have one. So I do not have to notify unless the accountability group says too before she is 6. She turns 5 in December so technically I have until the year 2014 before requiring notice since she will be 5 in December and then 6 in Dec 2013 which is after Sept 1st. Just trying to be clear and notgive extra information to the state.

I was getting the notification from the statute previously mentioned. I was going to go with the accountability option when we have to have one. So I do not have to notify unless the accountability group says too before she is 6. She turns 5 in December so technically I have until the year 2014 before requiring notice since she will be 5 in December and then 6 in Dec 2013 which is after Sept 1st. Just trying to be clear and notgive extra information to the state.

In the year she's 5 by Sept. 1, she needs to be registered with an accountability group, according to how I read the statute. So that'd be next year for you guys.

State dept info here.

We did a private kindergarten and then started homeschooling in 1st grade. I've never reported anything to our district, just signed up with a 3rd option accountability group. They report to the state the number of students and grades of kids from each district.

Looks like next year you'd want to sign up with an accountability group for K - OR report to the district that you're not doing K. I think it'd be easier to be with a group rather than have contact with the district.

Thank you I appreciate it. We will be going with a group next year. I'm leaning towards TSCHAA as the accountability group. I'm liking what I'm seeing on their website. http://tschaa.com/Home_Page.php

Does anyone have experience with them.

We are only just moving into the area so I don't have experience with any of them but that one does seem to be the cheapest that I have seen.

Thank you I appreciate it. We will be going with a group next year. I'm leaning towards TSCHAA as the accountability group. I'm liking what I'm seeing on their website. http://tschaa.com/Home_Page.php

Does anyone have experience with them.

I STRONGLY DO NOT recommend tschaa. I joined them as an accountability association when I first started homeschooling. I paid the fee and never received membership materials or info or anything. My many, many phone calls and emails went unanswered. I reported them to the BBB. In the end, I did not recover my membership fee and they never made it right.

There are MANY great accountability associations in SC. Here is a list of many and some other stuff:

http://www.sciway.net/edu/k12/homeschooling.html

http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/asupport.html

I personally am a member of PACESC. They are great. :001_smile:

Ah thank you. I guess it is you get what you pay for.

The problem I'm finding is that many are Christian groups with a statement of faith. I'm Eastern Orthodox (converting from Catholicism). I don't know exactly how well the group'll fit though.

PaceSC is looking nice

Edited by jillian

The problem I'm finding is that many are Christian groups with a statement of faith. I'm Eastern Orthodox (converting from Catholicism). I don't know exactly how well the group'll fit though.

PaceSC is looking nice

We are not Christian if that helps. PACE has no statements to sign... :)

PaceSC is looking nice

Our Lady of Perpetual Help is a Catholic accountability association that, as of this upcoming school year, no longer requires that you are Catholic to use them! I used them last year and will use them again this next year. Very non-invasive and affordable.

• 2 weeks later...
Our Lady of Perpetual Help is a Catholic accountability association that, as of this upcoming school year, no longer requires that you are Catholic to use them! I used them last year and will use them again this next year. Very non-invasive and affordable.

I will take a look at them too. I liked what I saw with PACE and someone in my neighborhood is considering LCHEA. She went to their informational meeting last night so yeah just trying to sort it all out.

• 2 weeks later...

No, you don't need to register this year at all. I joined SCAIHS the year we started K-level work (though it wasn't necessary) when DS was 4.5, and used them last year when he was K-aged and the price was still reasonable.

Where in SC are you? If you're in the Midlands area, check out REACH. It's a secular support group with an accountability group, REACH the Top. We were members of REACH last year and are using them for accountability this year, as I liked what I saw. You can still use them if you aren't in the Midlands, but you have the added benefit of the group activities if you are.

• 2 months later...

We are using TCSHAA this year. We haven't had any problems. We sent in our application right at the beginning of the school year and got our card in the mail about a week later. We were thinking of going through the school district, but when we saw the ridiculous paperwork we decided to go with a no-frill accountability association. We're also is LCHEA for social stuff.

• 1 year later...
Guest Mum2Seven

Hello!  My name is Dawnmarie and I am the owner of TSCHAA.  I am here to make a public apology for the issues stated above.

Several years ago, we were going through an adoption that was exhausting, physically and mentally.  We adopted a large sibling group, the children were separated between a group home and several foster homes, because we wanted to reunite the siblings and have them grow up together in our family.  It required a lot of travel to their home county, several hours away, and as we were getting close to finalization, one of the fathers decided he was going to try for custody (while he was on house arrest) and then try to fight the adoption (while he was in jail on a more serious charge... he had a criminal history spanning 12 years).  It was a very, very tough time for all of us.

There was a period of time when families did not receive their membership materials as they should have, and we have tried to reach out to the families, to explain what happened, to apologize and make amends to them.  To the families we haven't been able to contact, we will do whatever it takes to make things right, and we are very sorry that the families weren't treated right during this time.  Things have been running extremely well for TSCHAA ever since the adoption was finalized.  We have normal turnaround of less than a day on DMV Letters, membership cards, and other requests, and we are going strong with over 1,900 members for the 2013-2014 school year (one of the largest Associations in the state!), we have hired additional help so that we are better able to stay on top of things, and we only have our wonderful members to thank for the past six years of serving the homeschool community!