Menu

Do you "fix" food or "make" it or "prepare" it?

If you are talking about what you do for your family in the evening, what would you say?

I wish you had not asked this. Now I am thinking about how weird it sounds to say that I "fix" a meal. Do I fasten dinner to the table? Do I repair the meal? Well, "yes" occasionally to that last question.:D

I wish you had not asked this. Now I am thinking about how weird it sounds to say that I "fix" a meal. Do I fasten dinner to the table? Do I repair the meal? Well, "yes" occasionally to that last question.:D

My mother used to "fix" meals. This reminds me of how we would tease her by asking if she had broken it. I do sometimes have to repair a meal myself, but usually I "make" meals. "Preparing" sounds too fancy for what happens around our house. Sometimes we just "throw (insert name of meal) together."

Usually make. Sometimes I perhaps would say fix. Prepare sounds formal and I would be unlikely to say that unless it's Thanksgiving or something.

My mother used to "fix" meals. This reminds me of how we would tease her by asking if she had broken it. I do sometimes have to repair a meal myself, but usually I "make" meals. "Preparing" sounds too fancy for what happens around our house. Sometimes we just "throw (insert name of meal) together."

Yes! Throwing the meal together, although that term makes me think of the first time I made pot roast early on in my marriage. I made the roast "just like my mother does" and was so excited to see the expression on my food-loving dh's face. He came home from work and walked into the kitchen to see me. I was shaking the very hot gravy and flour together in a gravy strainer. Dh told me he had stopped with a coworker after work and had a Stanwich's burger (everything but the kitchen sink), so he wasn't hungry.:001_huh: Just at that moment, the gravy strainer exploded and there was gravy dripping from the ceiling, and running down dh's tie. Even the cat was wearing it. Dh took one look at my face and informed me that he was very hungry and couldn't wait to have his pot roast.

To this day if I cook dinner, he never says that he is too full or that he had the same thing for lunch. Smart man.:D

I prepare/cook/assemble/whatever food to make supper and other meals. The meal is made by the preparation and assembly of a variety of foods. So I make supper. Because really, I don't want to expend so many words in the description of what I'm doing.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I usually say, "I'm fixin' [insert food item or meal here] now." Sometimes I say, "I will make that," or "I've made that before."

I only prepare for disaster. :lol:

:iagree: same here. I fix meals. Because it's reparin' an empty tummy. :001_smile:

I say I am cooking the meal, even if it is not a meal that is being cooked, like cereal for breakfast. I still say I am cooking breakfast. It comes from ds13 telling me I was a good 'cooker' when he was almost 2 no matter what I fed him, even if all i did was tear the lid off the yogurt.

Usually, make.

If it takes no effort beyond reheating, I'll get or find.

If there's some effort involved but the ingredients are already made (such as complicated sandwiches), I'll put together. Or assemble, if I'm feeling fancy.

Sometimes, I slap together or scrounge up. Occasionally, I'll ruin.

Never fix, though.