Menu

Refurb Mac products?

Apple - refurb or not  

1. 1. Apple - refurb or not

• Get the refurb, $150 is still a good amount to save. I've bought refurb and not been disappointed
    • Get the refurb, $150 is still a good amount to save. I've not bought refurb but will one day
    • Don't get refurb, it's not worth saving only $150. I've had bad experience with refurb
    • Don't get refurb, it's not worth saving only $150. I've not bought refurb
    • I would get a refurb iMac but not refurb Macbook
    • I would get a refurb Macbook but not iMac
    • Only get refurb if you use the savings to upgrade computer- get more computer for same cost as new
    • Don't get new or refurb, go to Best Buy and buy open box return at good discount

My Macbook is giving me grief again so dh has decided it's going to be time to pass it on to the kids and get me a new one. :D

So far I'm undecided if I'll get a Macbook (Pro) again or if we'll get the 27" iMac. I know I eventually will want both ;) I just don't know which to get first. :tongue_smilie:

I've been online and watching the refurb prices as well as the new (with education discount) and it seems that refurbs are only about $150ish more than a refurb (with the discount). Plus they're also offering $100 worth of apps with new purchase with education discount.

Is it worth it to get the refurb? I'm only looking at ones from 2011 (nothing older than that) or should I just spend the extra and get new since it's so close. Don't get me wrong, it's sure nice to save $150 but when I'm already looking at spending $1800 (ish) on an iMac, what's another $100 or so. :001_huh:

Edited by plain jane

If they have what you want in refurb, go for it!

I have purchased a refurbished iPad and a refurbished MacBook Pro, and both looked and worked exactly like brand new. (You would never be able to tell the difference between the ones we bought new and the ones we bought refurbished.)

I had to laugh when I saw this post. My dd18's refurbished macbook pro was delivered less than an hour ago. :auto:

She used her graduation money from her grandfather, plus her tips from Sonic. (Don't forget to tip your carhop :001_smile:).

She is sooo excited. Her old laptop (an Acer from Staples) has been a good workhorse but is getting old and definitely doesn't keep up anymore.

We bought all of our Mac products refurbished and have been satisfied with the quality, no problems, etc. But we got a significant % off. If you are getting $100 for apps with the new purchase, that would make your net savings $50, correct? If that is the case, I would go ahead and purchase new.

We bought all of our Mac products refurbished and have been satisfied with the quality, no problems, etc. But we got a significant % off. If you are getting $100 for apps with the new purchase, that would make your net savings $50, correct? If that is the case, I would go ahead and purchase new.

:iagree:

And if you get the macbook pro, make sure to get Applecare (or whatever they call it)--I got that discounted when I bought mine with the educator's discount.

My sentiments exactly... I have a refurbed iPod nano and iPad 2, and I'm happy with both, but new for $50 more. I'd totally spring for that. :D

My Macbook is giving me grief again so dh has decided it's going to be time to pass it on to the kids and get me a new one. :D

So far I'm undecided if I'll get a Macbook (Pro) again or if we'll get the 27" iMac. I know I eventually will want both ;) I just don't know which to get first. :tongue_smilie:

I've been online and watching the refurb prices as well as the new (with education discount) and it seems that refurbs are only about $150ish more than a refurb (with the discount). Plus they're also offering $100 worth of apps with new purchase with education discount.

Is it worth it to get the refurb? I'm only looking at ones from 2011 (nothing older than that) or should I just spend the extra and get new since it's so close. Don't get me wrong, it's sure nice to save $150 but when I'm already looking at spending $1800 (ish) on an iMac, what's another $100 or so. :001_huh:

I just went through this decision myself and I went with new for the reasons I bolded above, plus the fact that i could buy it at the store and not wait for shipping.

We've purchased only refurb Mac products -- an iMac 4 years ago, an iPad 2 last November, and an Air this January.

My husband is a computer guy and his opinion is that you actually have a higher chance of getting a better machine by refurb. The new ones roll off the lines into their pretty boxes, but the refurb ones often are returned not because anything was wrong with them and they get a thorough, hands-on inspection insuring they are A-ok.

We've not had a single issue at all with any of our refurb products.