Menu

ADHD Diet?

Since I said no to meds, and apparently any sensory 'technique' tried with dd this week has failed in therapy, they are now telling me to put her on an ADHD diet. Anyone using one? Familiar with one? All they told me today was no sugar, low carb.

Eliminates all artificial flavors and colors and some preservatives. Also check out the book, Is This My Chilld by Doris Rapp, deals with allergies and behaviors. My daughter has been on Feingold diet and dairy free for close to 10 years and changed her (and our) life.

Since I said no to meds, and apparently any sensory 'technique' tried with dd this week has failed in therapy, they are now telling me to put her on an ADHD diet. Anyone using one? Familiar with one? All they told me today was no sugar, low carb.

It sounds like they're recommending a paleo diet which I *do* know helps with concentration/focus/mental health issues in people. You might want to start at http://www.paleoparents.com and read their story about how radically changing their diet helped their health and their boys' health (which included ADHD challenges) - it's very inspirational.

You might also want to look into the GAPS diet - I know many families with autism/ADHD issues who were greatly helped by it.

Bottom line though is that anything with artificial colors/flavors needs to go and not be ingested for at least several months to give the body time to heal, and you'll be doing a LOT more cooking at home.

Studies have shown that petroleum derived food additives (dyes such as Red #40, Yellow #5) trigger symptoms of ADHD. In Europe, warning labels must be on products with them. So start with the Feingold diet then if that is not enough, eliminate casein/gluten, etc.

It's what we did. We started with meds, but we could see that the jeckyl/hyde thing must be triggered by something. So meds were stopped and we never went back.