Menu

Questions about gardening??? What do you plant in the fall?

I have never had a veggie garden but have wanted one for a while now. My husband was starting his own business this past spring so that wasn't a good time for us to start a garden. The spring before that, we were moving into our new house, so that wasn't a good time. The spring before that, we were showing our old house and getting ready to move into a rental house while we built our new house, so that wasn't a good time. I'm tired of waiting and I'm thinking of starting a garden in the fall.

I am planning to do a square foot garden, maybe two 4x4 boxes. We live in the Tulsa Oklahoma area so our hardiness zone is 7a. Our first frost will likely be sometime in the first week or two of November.

What do you plant in the fall and when do you plant it? Can anyone give me some tips? I would also love to be able to plant some fruit, such as strawberries, blueberry bushes, an apple tree?

Here is a list of things I would like to be able to plant but not sure if any of them can be planted in the fall:

broccoli

romaine lettuce

leaf lettuce

sugar snap peas

carrots

spinach

onions

potatoes

sweet potatoes

green beans

corn

tomatoes

squash

pumpkins

Thanks for any help you can provide.:)

My fall garden (I'm zone 7b) begins now. I have some fresh tomato transplants to get in the ground. You can sow okra, squash, and beans now. Just keep the babies well watered through the heat. As it gets cooler you can sow lettuce, cauliflower, and broccoli...I plant onion sets in late January.

Often the heat doesn't break here until early October. When the heat breaks is when the garden comes back to life. I'll get a ton of tomatoes but they may not have time to fully ripen. We do batches of green tomato relish (great Christmas gifts) and suppers of fried green tomatoes...Some will will pick just before the first frost and allow to ripen on the kitchen counter.

We plant trees and shrubs in the fall, too. It's a great time for plants to get their roots established before the scorching heat of summer. Just keep them watered all winter.

I love square foot gardening, too!

Thank you all so much for the advice and the encouragement. I know I just need to get started, even if it is not much. A little at a time is fine but if I don't start somewhere I will never get it going.

Thanks!

I have a cold frame to build around one of my 4x8 raised beds to be able to harvest greens throughout the winter. Just another idea and it is quite simple.

Garlic is planted in fall for spring harvest. Hardnecks last longer for storage. Parsnips are planted in fall for spring harvest.

Green beans can be planted in succession every 10 days or so for a continual harvest until frost.

I am in a different zone, but not by much...we just don't have the scorching heat part so I can usually get away with more during the summer.

Snap peas do well for me as a fall crop. After my cukes are setting fruit I plant half of my plants right in front of them (I trellis the cukes). Then, by the time the peas are a foot high or so, I have taken out the cukes because they are done, and I plant more peas behind them, and they all grow up the trellis.

I square foot garden and have learned to be quite efficient in the space I have. Of course my objective has changed slightly, in that now I want to harvest through winter so I plan which bed will have the cold frame.

ETA: oh, another thing if you are using the square foot method. With lettuce, just tuck them "here and there." They grow pretty quick but do well slightly shaded by other crops so if space is limited they can be sorta crammed around things.

Edited by 425lisamarie

I have a cold frame to build around one of my 4x8 raised beds to be able to harvest greens throughout the winter. Just another idea and it is quite simple.

Garlic is planted in fall for spring harvest. Hardnecks last longer for storage. Parsnips are planted in fall for spring harvest.

Green beans can be planted in succession every 10 days or so for a continual harvest until frost.

I am in a different zone, but not by much...we just don't have the scorching heat part so I can usually get away with more during the summer.

Snap peas do well for me as a fall crop. After my cukes are setting fruit I plant half of my plants right in front of them (I trellis the cukes). Then, by the time the peas are a foot high or so, I have taken out the cukes because they are done, and I plant more peas behind them, and they all grow up the trellis.

I square foot garden and have learned to be quite efficient in the space I have. Of course my objective has changed slightly, in that now I want to harvest through winter so I plan which bed will have the cold frame.

ETA: oh, another thing if you are using the square foot method. With lettuce, just tuck them "here and there." They grow pretty quick but do well slightly shaded by other crops so if space is limited they can be sorta crammed around things.

This is great information. Thanks so much!!