Menu

What are you must reads for preschool storytime?

I would check out the Before Five in a Row and the Sonlight PK 3/4 book lists. Some of our favorites off the top of my head include:

Caps for Sale

Goodnight Moon

Blueberries for Sal

Katy No-Pocket

Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?

We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Michael Rosen; Helen Oxenbury)

And here' some that aren't on the lists.

Are You My Mother?

Circus Ship by Chris Van Dusen

I would check out the Before Five in a Row and the Sonlight PK 3/4 book lists. Some of our favorites off the top of my head include:

Caps for Sale

Goodnight Moon

Blueberries for Sal

Katy No-Pocket

Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?

We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Michael Rosen; Helen Oxenbury)

And here' some that aren't on the lists.

Are You My Mother?

Circus Ship by Chris Van Dusen

I forgot all about Circus Ship, my boys LOVE that book! Off to search Amazon...

Hi,

I'm new (I don't have kids and can't homeschool at the moment so I don't participate, I just read to get ideas and see what is available) and I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I thought I could help. I'm actually a Children's Librarian and do storytime so I have about 52 different themes that could be used with at least 3 books per category (I use 3 books, 3 songs per half hour storytime) that I would be willing to give you if you can send me your email address. I also have a smaller toddler set if you wanted that as well, that only has about 2 books per category since I do more songs in their storytimes.

Sorry for the intrusion!

Jen

Time for Bed by Mem Fox

Put Me IN The Zoo Dr. Suess

Grandfather Twilight

Blueberries for Sal

Sheep In a Jeep

Cordoury

Sam's Sandwich

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Polar Expresss

A Chair for My Mother

Napping House

Daisy Head Mazie

Green Eggs and Ham

A Bad Case of The Stripes

Would have to look in my attic for more titles. Hope this helps.

angel

I don't see Is your Mama a Llama listed yet. That one is very fun.

We're going on a bear hunt was already mentioned. You almost have to do it with someone else holding the book so you can lead actions too. I'll also second Caps for Sale, and possibly Circus ship, if you have relatively mature attention-spanned preschoolers.

FWIW, there are a lot of really good books I love reading to my preschoolers that would not translate well into a group setting. For example, I found that The Giving Tree is one of them. GREAT book, my kids LOVE it, but it doesn't have the dynamic illustrations and vibrant action that captivates a crowd.

One of my favorites is "The Kissing Hand" - Great for children that are really nervous to be away from mommy. I used this with my daughter when she went to public school pre-k but even now that we homeschool we still do our kissing hand when we leave for any amount of time.