Menu

Movies As Literature-reasons to or to *not* use this?

Are there particular reasons to use this curriculum? (Other than you just felt like it.;))

Are there reasons NOT to use this?

If you have used it, can you please share why and if you'd recommend it?

TIA!

ETA-we do not adhere to the Classical Model of education in HS....

Edited by 1pageatatime

I will be using it this year for my youngest for 9th grade. She is dyslexic, and while she is reading at grade level now, it isn't something that she enjoys doing unless the book is one that she has picked out (and that's generally only a dystopia). She also doesn't want to do any kind of literary discussion of her favorites because she feels that will ruin them for her.

Thanks for asking my question for me! I'm looking forward to reading the responses. :bigear:

We're planning on using Movies as Literature next year for DS's 10th grade, with supplementation by having him read some of the books that he watched the movies for.

He loves reading for pleasure, and thinks analyzing literature is a waste of time. I'm hoping this will be a good compromise for us.

Let me be the Devil's Advocate for not relying heavily on film as literature.

While movies and plays and books all have similar elements like characterization, protagonist, antagonist, conflict and plot; the way that these elements are used and disclosed are quite different.

Just as an example, in Star Wars' opening scenes there is little doubt that the small ship (defended by earnest men in battle helmets and soft uniforms) is on the good buy side, while the faceless, interchangeble battle armor clad assault force is something to be feared. When Darth Vader enters in black battle armor, death mask helmet and swirling cape the scene shouts "Villain" without a single spoken line.

For a simplistic counterpoint, consider how a book villain has to be carefully portrayed over several paragraphs, often spread over several pages or chapters. One or two lines often has to suffice (and they have to be just the right couple of lines) because the reader quickly wearies of plain description and wants action.

A film as literature course can demonstrate some literary concepts. But it can't get very far in demonstrating how they are delivered within written texts. Simply because they aren't written. No more could a book do a good job of showing how montage works, even though books also use transitions.

I feel like one of my goals is to equip my kids with the tools to work within subjects and topics of study, even if they aren't naturally good at them or wildly passionate about them. I don't want to miss an opportunity to teach them how to read (and annotate in my case) a strong piece of literature. Nor how to watch and understand a play, do a research paper, tackle a science text, develop a science experiment, solve a trickly math problem and a host of other skills.

We're using this for 9th grade Lit for my oldest w/Asperger's. He reads extremely well but has a hard time understanding the concepts. In seeing it visually and verbally discussing, I'm hoping it starts to establish a foundation that we can build upon in future years. In the upcoming years, we plan to do American Lit, British Lit, than finally the Greeks but he's so not ready to tackle any of that just yet...ask me how long he was perplexed because of his literal interpretation of the Last of the Mohicans. And that was just a brief discussion we had about the time period!

I used some of the Movies as Lit curriculum, as part of an elective for 10th grade (we called it "Beyond the Page" -- he was studying how literature is turned into plays and movies).

Another source we've used with movie analysis throughout the years is called "Teach with Movies". http://www.teachwithmovies.org/

You can take a look at some of the free resources, but it is really a subscription service ($12/year - no auto renewal -- I just checked). They have a nearly over-whelming amount of resources, sorted by age appropriateness, by theme, etc. While there are lesson plans for a wide variety of subjects, some that just use "snippets" of different films, we've pretty much stuck with the learning guides for complete films, in lit & history, along with some generic worksheets that can be used with any movie you choose. I notice that hey just added some worksheets for TV viewing, which I might try out...

In case it matters to you, they are a "Character Counts" partner, so in addition to literary themes, etc., they talk about the values presented in movies.

Maura

College freshmen literature classes these days often include movie analysis papers. Movies as Literature is wonderful prep for that. Bravewriter has a packet on movie analysis that is good as well. Teens love to discuss movies, and I see Movies as Literature, etc. as a way to move the conversation beyond the typical discussion of the cute leading actor or actress. ;) Also, Movies as Lit could definitely be a full credit with the papers, literature, and extended activities. We will be doing this at some point during the next three years and combining it with material on movie making.

Edited by 1Togo

We will be using this for 8th and 10th grades this year as 0.5 literature credit. I am really looking forward to this. My boys are very excited about some of the titles.

I believe this will be a valuable resource in teaching my sons to view movies critcially and learn to analyze what is going on in a story. I can't think of any reason "not" to use it.:001_smile: