Menu

History Recommendation

Guest Mama_Ambre

Guest Mama_Ambre

Hi! This is my first post, so please forgive me if I am at the wrong thread or asking duplicate questions. I'm still trying to figure out how these forums work! :)

Here's my question: My daughter is 5.5 this fall and I'm looking for a good History program. My husband and I have looked at and decided against Story of the World.

We would like something historically accurate, biblically accurate (not necessarily biblically based) and on a four year cycle.

In case we can't find a curriculum we love, does anyone have any links to some good age appropriate book lists that fall into the four year cycle pattern?

Thanks so much!

Wecome to the Hive! :D Hmmm...your dd is 5.5yo? I personaly wouldn't use MOH or Diana Waring. Both are fabulous but for slightly older children. This is just my opinion, so please take it with a grain of salt. ;) At 5.5yo, I wouldn't necessarily start a formal history program. Exposure is what you are looking for. Exposure through interesting stories of real people. A 5.5yo won't really care much about dates and events (most of them won't anyway!). Have you looked into some of the all-in-one programs out there (ones that teach bible, history, science, etc.)? Here are a few to check out: My Father's World, Heart of Dakota, Beautiful Feet (they have a neat Early American History program that teaches through literature), Sonlight. Again, just my humble opinion (which you didn't ask for!). Another suggestion is Five in a Row. You read one children's book each week for five days and do activities based on that book (Geography, History, Science, LA, Math, SS, etc.). My children have really enjoyed our FIAR time. :) (We never used it exclusively...just for books that interested us. ). HTH!

Guest Mama_Ambre

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. We've moved beyond FIAR this year and I would love to continue learning history through literature at this time. I'm having difficulties finding lists of age appropriate books on the Ancients for example. Any leads on that?

You may want to look at Veritas Press. They have a five year history cycle beginning in 2nd grade. Their history literature recommendations cover a wide range ages, starting from about your dd's age to middle school. They also have history timeline cards that may be memorized using a song. I often reference their history literature recommendations.