Menu

Camping in Utah/Colorado, etc..,

Next week we head on our road trip camping adventure (yikes) and I'm wondering how to pack for nights in Utah and Colorado? Is it cold at night like in California? I am trying to pack as little as possible but will pack warm pjs, socks, etc if needed.

Also looks like lots of thunderstorms around the areas we are going!! Kansas, Missouri, Indiana are some other stops.

If you are in the mountains, then yes it is cold at night and in the mornings.

I would pack warm jammies (sweat bottoms and a t-shirt) with a sweat top for the mornings. we sleep with socks on.

We also sleep family style to borrow heat from each other.

I would also have an extra pair of shoes for when one pair is wet.

Green River, Utah is where we will stop. Wiki says 4000 for elevation. It also say 233 for LA. We couldn't sleep outside here without being cold (and I'm not easily cold! But from Chicago).

Edited by LAmom

The temp might differ slightly if your campsite is at a higher elevation than the town (say, 3-5 degrees or so cooler for a thousand feet in elevation change) but in this case I doubt it will be very cool.

Edited by wapiti

I wouldn't say Green River has particularly cold nights, but if you're sensitive to temperature changes, you might be chilly.

They do, however, grow yummy cantaloupe!

Are you following I-70 through Grand Junction into Colorado? That is a beautiful drive...well, after Grand Junction it is. Glenwood Canyon is my favorite...if you're headed that way. Stop in Glenwood Springs...Theodore Roosevelt used to stay there. And the hot springs are fun!

I wouldn't say Green River has particularly cold nights, but if you're sensitive to temperature changes, you might be chilly.

They do, however, grow yummy cantaloupe!

Are you following I-70 through Grand Junction into Colorado? That is a beautiful drive...well, after Grand Junction it is. Glenwood Canyon is my favorite...if you're headed that way. Stop in Glenwood Springs...Theodore Roosevelt used to stay there. And the hot springs are fun!

We will be on the 70. Thanks for mentioning Glenwood Springs! I think we have a shorter drive that day so definitely will think about stopping!