Menu

"Gunna" s/o- I'ma

I'ma apparently means "I am going to".

I kinda like it.

I think it's very nicely compact. From ten letters and three spaces (five syllables) to three letters and little apostrophe (two syllables, but maybe just one if you really try).

The only expression that I say that my husband loathes is "might could." I only use it in a few situations, when there really is a nice play between possibility and doubt. My grandma says it regularly. She's got some nice expressions, she does.

My mom *swore* that the following is true: When she was young, there was a city judge in their town, Judge Hogg, who names his 2 daughters Ima and Ura. :tongue_smilie:

Your mom fell prey to an urban legend. Ima Hogg was real, but unless your mother is VERY old, she didn't live during the time of Ima Hogg's father. And Ura is a myth.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fho16

Tara

I hear "Ima fixin to" here more often than "Ima gunna."

I see you are in Western North Carolina? I grew up there (and now live in upstate SC). I can verify your comment... and commiserate. I hear it often here too. Lol.

Ima fixin to...

Ya reckon...

down yonder...

Ya'll ain't gunna...

Your mom fell prey to an urban legend. Ima Hogg was real, but unless your mother is VERY old, she didn't live during the time of Ima Hogg's father. And Ura is a myth.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fho16

Tara

Poor mom...I don't have the heart to tell her, since she knows everything, ya know. :tongue_smilie: That's OK about Ura, because she really didn't belong in Ima's thread anyway! :lol: Sorry to derail~

First of all, my ears (eyes, maybe?) are going to bleed from this thread. Ack, ack, ack. It's no wonder kids don't know the difference between your and you're. They all type ur. Ahhhhh!

LOL Honestly, what is it with the boiled peanuts everywhere in the south? Do people actually eat them?? lol I'd eat me some cajun peanuts, but boiled.... no thanks. :D hehe

My step-father is very old south (think old southern gentleman accent) and loves boiled peanuts. The gross me out so much! They are slimy and just...ewwww.

My step-father is very old south (think old southern gentleman accent) and loves boiled peanuts. The gross me out so much! They are slimy and just...ewwww.

hehehehehe Ewww is right. I've never ever understood it. They're gross. The funny thing to me though is that you see those little "boiled peanut" stands everywhere in the South and I have yet to see an actual customer stopped and buying some whenever I pass one! :lol: