Menu

Homeschooled teen forced to live in family chicken coop

Have you seen this? I saw a short video from the Atlanta news bureau, and when the mom was coming down the court house steps, I told myself 'Oh boy, I sure hope they aren't homeschoolers!' They are. :glare: Poor girl. I found the video on this morning's google news feed.

article:

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/parents-accused-of-locking-1477190.html

From a follow-up article: "The girl was adopted around 2007..."

I feel like we've seen this story so many times. Homeschooling family, older-child adoption, adopted child singled out for harsher and harsher punishments while the biological kids are doing fine.

I suspect that the parents believed that they could produce a happy, obedient, loving, attached, moral child, if only they kept escalating the discipline until the child's will was broken. Much like the families of the adopted child who froze to death and the adopted child who was beaten to death.

15, and adopted, and all of this came out from a "tip".

I sure hope they can confirm the facts before acting.

I also hope that if what the girl says can be corroborated, that they go after the abusers with both guns blazing.

Nothing in the article mentioned any tangible evidence or any witnesses, so I guess I'm reserving judgement until more is known about what really happened. :confused:

ETA: I guess what I'm saying is that from ladies we know well on this board, I can see this happening and having there be *much more* to the story. If it's true, then yes, it's beyond reprehensible. If it's the result of a troubled teen being creative with the facts, well, I know that's also entirely possible.

Edited by Julie in CA

I also hope that if what the girl says can be corroborated, that they go after the abusers with both guns blazing.

Nothing in the article mentioned any tangible evidence or any witnesses, so I guess I'm reserving judgement until more is known about what really happened. :confused:

ETA: I guess what I'm saying is that from ladies we know well on this board, I can see this happening and having there be *much more* to the story. If it's true, then yes, it's beyond reprehensible. If it's the result of a troubled teen being creative with the facts, well, I know that's also entirely possible.

True...I hope she didn't dream up this story for some reason.

True...I hope she didn't dream up this story for some reason.

Which would be worse? Her actually going through such a horrible experience or her making it up and dragging an innocent family through hell? No happy endings here. :(

This is my thinking too. Horrendous if true but they went in and removed the girl before an investigation based on an annonymous tip. Now given that I know of a few teens that have falsely claimed abuse because they were mad at the rules etc I am reserving judgement until more details are released. The info about the collar was not received until the girl was removed and they found a collar and asked about it is what I am understanding from the article. So the initial tip was that the child had to live in the coop and outhouse for several days at a time. I want to wait and see if it is true or if this child lied because she was told she had to clean these spaces and could not come out until done, and she refused to do the work (coming from a home with a preteen that claims she is forced to stay in her room all day with no meals when the reality is the door is unlocked and she is welcome out as soon as her attitude improves) I don't want to jump to conclusions until I know more.

I found a video: http://www.myfoxal.com/story/19001118/2012/07/11/chicken-coop-case-teen-allegedly-wore-a-shock-collar

At one point, the reporter says that the mother told authorities that 'she was doing what the bible told her to do'...:crying:

So sad! Makes my stomach ache.

I've yet to hear parents invoke Deuteronomy 21 when abusing/killing a child, but I expect I will someday :(

What facts do you expect to see printed in a short news article?

A tip was received, and investigators found enough reason to remove the child at this time. Could this all be a story made up by the child? It's possible, but lack of details in a newspaper article do not make that anymore likely.

Ginger, so it was religious. I was waiting to hear that. I saw this story the other day and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop--not only are they homeschoolers, but they claim to be Christians.

These evil people are going to screw up homeschooling for all of us one of these days. I'm really starting to believe that.

IF this is true, thank God the girl was removed from the home. I am leery lbecause this article states that there are no concerns for the other children (article never said they were bio) the neighbor wouldn't talk And told people to get off his property :confused: and there are no other houses around yet they were acting on a tip.:confused:

I admit the shock collar freaked me out but maybe they have dogs? One would THINK that someone who owns chickens knows people can't live in their coop because it coud be a DANGEROUS health hazard. Not to mention that if this older adopted child had severe behavioral problems they wouldn't want her in the coop unattended because they would know she would hurt or kill the chickens.

Innocent parents are accused regularly by troubled kids, adopted and not, but far more common among adopted kids. Lies of abuse is just one of many symptoms RAD kids have.

Abused kids sometimes DON't get the help they need when authorities are called in.

Lets just hope the truth prevails. There are other kids in the home who will be interviewed.

IF this is true, thank God the girl was removed from the home. I am leery lbecause this article states that there are no concerns for the other children (article never said they were bio) the neighbor wouldn't talk And told people to get off his property :confused: and there are no other houses around yet they were acting on a tip.:confused:

I admit the shock collar freaked me out but maybe they have dogs? One would THINK that someone who owns chickens knows people can't live in their coop because it coud be a DANGEROUS health hazard. Not to mention that if this older adopted child had severe behavioral problems they wouldn't want her in the coop unattended because they would know she would hurt or kill the chickens.

Innocent parents are accused regularly by troubled kids, adopted and not, but far more common among adopted kids. Lies of abuse is just one of many symptoms RAD kids have.

Abused kids sometimes DON't get the help they need when authorities are called in.

Lets just hope the truth prevails. There are other kids in the home who will be interviewed.

Why are some of you so concerned that CPS acted on a tip? That is exactly how many cases get started.

Investigators received a tip, went to the premises and investigated, and found enough reason to get a judge to sign a removal order. You simply won't receive a lot more information due to closed court proceedings, but for now it is enough for me.

Implying this girl is troubled/has RAD is out of line imo.

I found a video: http://www.myfoxal.com/story/19001118/2012/07/11/chicken-coop-case-teen-allegedly-wore-a-shock-collar

At one point, the reporter says that the mother told authorities that 'she was doing what the bible told her to do'...:crying:

Ok, so this article is far more telling. I do hope the girl wasn't abused, I truly do. Thr "tip" is now more understandable. But what child doesn't get punished for not doing chores? (they don't state what the punishments are) And who doesn't work out in the hot sun? all farming families do.

I hope this article isn't true, I really do, but if it is, the girl is now better off.

Why are some of you so concerned that CPS acted on a tip? That is exactly how many cases get started.

Investigators received a tip, went to the premises and investigated, and found enough reason to get a judge to sign a removal order. You simply won't receive a lot more information due to closed court proceedings, but for now it is enough for me.

I was concerned on a TIP because the first article stated there were no other houses around, and also concerned that when the AP went to a "neighbors" house, they were told to get off his property. It semed odd.

The second article makes the house seem more visible than the first. It makes more sense now.

I was concerned on a TIP because the first article stated there were no other houses around, and also concerned that when the AP went to a "neighbors" house, they were told to get off his property. It semed odd.

The second article makes the house seem more visible than the first. It makes more sense now.

A neighbor didn't want to be interviewed so you questioned the tip? Weird.

What they are reporting up here about the other kids two are college age and one is 17. If that is true and the college kids knew and did nothing, how very sad that they felt that was normal.

Well, most of the time, there has to be enough facts to back up removal of a child. This is more true when you consider that they try to make it where families get their help through family based services (meaning kid stays home rather than is removed). Obviously, they sometimes make mistakes, but....

Two other thoughts though...

First, it is still likely the child is troubled and possibly has RAD for the family to have gone this direction. To be honest, we have been MUCH more punitive with our foster/adoptive children than with our birth children. That has changed now (we're back to using no punishment); but for a time...And it isn't that I thought it best, you just feel you have to do SOMETHING especially when something is dangerous, scary, or things other people will shun you for!

2) Reports can look WAY different than reality. Mom mentions that pee-pee stinks and to please go change so you don't smell like pee all day. Report says mom makes kid smell urine-soaked clothing. Crazy!

So like the shock collar. It isn't a big deal that a 15 yo knows how a shock collar works. My goodness, I would expect that a 5yo who had one could tell you that! But if there are marks on the 15yo or the parents/other children admit it was used on her or DNA evidence shows it was used on her, that is much different.

Honestly, I would have assumed the report was founded since CPS took the kid. I would assume the kid is troubled because of her past and the family was escalating punishment to get her to conform. I've done that myself and I don't even believe in punishment! So glad we're past that! At some point, they crossed from discipline to abuse. THey most certainly should be prosecuted if they did this. At the same time, post adoption services should be MUCH easier to utilize. A friend of mine adopted 3 unrelated children from foster care. When kid was doing extra poorly and mom was scared and didn't know what to do, she couldn't get help from ANYONE, including CPS. Ridiculous. BTW, then CPS didn't have any trouble coming out to do an investigation a year later when the school called concerned about the child's mental health issues (which was ridiculous because by that time, the family had hospitalized the child twice, had secured therapy and medication, etc).

Honestly, I can see being worried about reaching out with kids with severe issues. I don't want to be blamed for my kid acting out. I don't want to be judged for not having done X or for trying Y. I also don't want my kids coming up with something nuts to someone (and they would...they *have*). The difference, of course, is that I'm more willing to go through all of that than to lock my kid in a chicken coup or use a shock collar. I don't have THOSE things in me. Additionally, I have a phenomenal support system, none of whom would approve of anything other than minor punishment at most.

Edited by 2J5M9K

What they are reporting up here about the other kids two are college age and one is 17. If that is true and the college kids knew and did nothing, how very sad that they felt that was normal.

Maybe they were the tip?

I can't ever imagine young adults (even the 17 year old) would think it normal for a kid to live in a chicken coop or wear a shock collar. I just don't see how that can go on.

There's a contingent that is opposed to CPS ever intervening. Because apparently parents always know best. And only family members can make vague suggestions.

Anyone who's been living in a chicken coop needed saving.

It happens.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5294165-418/dad-stepmom-charged-with-murder-in-death-of-boy-found-under-concrete-slab-in-gary.html

(warning: disturbing)

There's a contingent that is opposed to CPS ever intervening. Because apparently parents always know best. And only family members can make vague suggestions.

Anyone who's been living in a chicken coop needed saving.

Sadly, you are right. Throw in homeschooling and you have people here who will bend over backwards to find some way to discredit CPS or the child.

Well, most of the time, there has to be enough facts to back up removal of a child. This is more true when you consider that they try to make it where families get their help through family based services (meaning kid stays home rather than is removed). Obviously, they sometimes make mistakes, but....

Two other thoughts though...

First, it is still likely the child is troubled and possibly has RAD for the family to have gone this direction. To be honest, we have been MUCH more punitive with our foster/adoptive children than with our birth children. That has changed now (we're back to using no punishment); but for a time...And it isn't that I thought it best, you just feel you have to do SOMETHING especially when something is dangerous, scary, or things other people will shun you for!

2) Reports can look WAY different than reality. Mom mentions that pee-pee stinks and to please go change so you don't smell like pee all day. Report says mom makes kid smell urine-soaked clothing. Crazy!

So like the shock collar. It isn't a big deal that a 15 yo knows how a shock collar works. My goodness, I would expect that a 5yo who had one could tell you that! But if there are marks on the 15yo or the parents/other children admit it was used on her or DNA evidence shows it was used on her, that is much different.

Honestly, I would have assumed the report was founded since CPS took the kid. I would assume the kid is troubled because of her past and the family was escalating punishment to get her to conform. I've done that myself and I don't even believe in punishment! So glad we're past that! At some point, they crossed from discipline to abuse. THey most certainly should be prosecuted if they did this. At the same time, post adoption services should be MUCH easier to utilize. A friend of mine adopted 3 unrelated children from foster care. When kid was doing extra poorly and mom was scared and didn't know what to do, she couldn't get help from ANYONE, including CPS. Ridiculous. BTW, then CPS didn't have any trouble coming out to do an investigation a year later when the school called concerned about the child's mental health issues (which was ridiculous because by that time, the family had hospitalized the child twice, had secured therapy and medication, etc).

Honestly, I can see being worried about reaching out with kids with severe issues. I don't want to be blamed for my kid acting out. I don't want to be judged for not having done X or for trying Y. I also don't want my kids coming up with something nuts to someone (and they would...they *have*). The difference, of course, is that I'm more willing to go through all of that than to lock my kid in a chicken coup or use a shock collar. I don't have THOSE things in me. Additionally, I have a phenomenal support system, none of whom would approve of anything other than minor punishment at most.

I just want to point out that one of my best friend's neighbor is the grandmother to adopted children. The girl first cried out rape at 11 or 12 or something like that, and the child was IMMEDIATELY removed from the home. She was returned when the reports proved to be false. She then cried out rape by her FATHER, and by this time three more adooted siblings were in the home. ALL four kids were immediately removed and remained away for months during the investigation. Again, the reports were false, far too many inconsistencies, and the girl finally admitted to the lie.

The three younger siblings never fully recovered. Neither did the parents. The oldest was kicked out at 18 years of age and the family tries to function normally now but they will never be normal again.

If you are on the online adoption support groups, you will see that this is all too common. :sad:

Sadly, you are right. Throw in homeschooling and you have people here who will bend over backwards to find some way to discredit CPS or the child.

Nobody here condones child abuse. It is good that there are more and more of us that work with, hqve experience with or raise troubled kids so we can share our experiences and show a possible other side. Thankfully the jump to judgement isn't so quick since so many have learned so much here.

I just want to point out that one of my best friend's neighbor is the grandmother to adopted children. The girl first cried out rape at 11 or 12 or something like that, and the child was IMMEDIATELY removed from the home. She was returned when the reports proved to be false. She then cried out rape by her FATHER, and by this time three more adooted siblings were in the home. ALL four kids were immediately removed and remained away for months during the investigation. Again, the reports were false, far too many inconsistencies, and the girl finally admitted to the lie.

The three younger siblings never fully recovered. Neither did the parents. The oldest was kicked out at 18 years of age and the family tries to function normally now but they will never be normal again.

If you are on the online adoption support groups, you will see that this is all too common. :sad:

As sad as this is, Denise, thanks for posting. I was thinking along these lines too, when I read that she was adopted as a much older child. Unfortunately, these things are not uncommon. And people go in feeling like they will be the savior, and treated with gratitude, and it just doesn't happen.

My concern is because what I am understanding from the article is the kid was removed based on the tip not the investigation. CPS got a removal order based on the tip, took the kid, arrested the parents and are now starting to investigate.

A neighbor didn't want to be interviewed so you questioned the tip? Weird.

ChocolateReign- there are people on this board who are raising children with RAD. They LIVE false accusations and the fear of CPS taking away all of their children as a result. They are NOT abusers. They're living a life that you and I could never even imagine. No one is condoning child abuse or vilifying CPS. They just don't rush to judgement as quickly as the rest of us might.

Edited by Coffeetime

My concern is because what I am understanding from the article is the kid was removed based on the tip not the investigation. CPS got a removal order based on the tip, took the kid, arrested the parents and are now starting to investigate.

Then I suggest you actually read the article.

"The investigation began May 25, when child welfare agents, acting on a tip, visited the home with the sheriff's department. That same day, Juvenile Court Judge Wayne Jernigan Sr. ordered the teen removed from the home."

The article was dated July 13th:

"The 15-year-old girl's parents, Samuel and Diana Franklin, were arrested earlier this week on multiple counts of child cruelty and false imprisonment."

-Received tip

-Visited home

-Got order to remove the child

-Did additional investigation

-Arrested parents

ChocolateReign- there are people on this board who are raising children with RAD. They LIVE false accusations and the fear of CPS taking away all of their children as a result. They are NOT abusers. They're living a life that you could never even imagine. No one is condoning child abuse or vilifying CPS. They just don't rush to judgement as quickly as the rest of us might.

Where is the rush to judgement? CPS started investigating this case in May, removed the child, did further investigation, and arrested the parents in July.

Sorry, I will not wring my hands and say "well maybe..." about these folks. I certainly won't refer to a 15-year old as troubled with no evidence and reach for ways to justify the what the parents did.

Then I suggest you actually read the article.

"The investigation began May 25, when child welfare agents, acting on a tip, visited the home with the sheriff's department. That same day, Juvenile Court Judge Wayne Jernigan Sr. ordered the teen removed from the home."

The article was dated July 13th:

"The 15-year-old girl's parents, Samuel and Diana Franklin, were arrested earlier this week on multiple counts of child cruelty and false imprisonment."

-Received tip

-Visited home

-Got order to remove the child

-Did additional investigation

-Arrested parents

Sounds like CPS did their job to me. I know a lot of people around here aren't overly fond of social workers, but the vast majority aren't morons. I spent quite a bit of time around social workers when I worked in various group homes earlier in my life, and they're well aware that troubled kids often make up stories. If the child was removed that day and the parents were later arrested, something was going on.

Where is the rush to judgement? CPS started investigating this case in May, removed the child, did further investigation, and arrested the parents in July.

Sorry, I will not wring my hands and say "well maybe..." about these folks. I certainly won't refer to a 15-year old as troubled with no evidence and reach for ways to justify the what the parents did.

We do not yet know if what is ALLEGED about the chicken coop/collar is actually true.

It is easy and understandable to read something like this and automatically get angry at the parents, wish for stiff penalties, feel pity for the poor child. That MAY be the case here, but just as likely is that THE PARENTS MAY BE THE ONES WHO ARE VICTIMS.

Rude much??? So I misread, excuse me.

Don't take it personal when people have to correct anothers mistake in such a bad manner. You should pray for these people that they have so little joy in their lives they have to torment others on an online forum. These are also the types of people who are usually very mousy and this is the only way they can feel any control..Statistically speaking of course sweetie :D

Hope you have a great daycare day!!!

Sounds like CPS did their job to me. I know a lot of people around here aren't overly fond of social workers, but the vast majority aren't morons. I spent quite a bit of time around social workers when I worked in various group homes earlier in my life, and they're well aware that troubled kids often make up stories. If the child was removed that day and the parents were later arrested, something was going on.

The only times I have seen people criticize social workers here are when they are LIED to by them. people's lives are ruined, even kid's lives, due to social worker's lies. It is a well know fact that this regularly happens.

You make a good point. The child was removed and the parents LATER ARRESTED. So it is sounding more like there may be guilt there. When the children were removed from the home I spoke of, arrests were never made.

Don't take it personal when people have to correct anothers mistake in such a bad manner. You should pray for these people that they have so little joy in their lives they have to torment others on an online forum. These are also the types of people who are usually very mousy and this is the only way they can feel any control..Statistically speaking of course sweetie :D

Hope you have a great daycare day!!!

Thank you! :D

Ginger, so it was religious. I was waiting to hear that. I saw this story the other day and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop--not only are they homeschoolers, but they claim to be Christians.

These evil people are going to screw up homeschooling for all of us one of these days. I'm really starting to believe that.

I completely agree. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.:glare:

Unfortunately there are many many cases where foster/adopt children are not treated the same as biological children or treated well at all. This isn't outside the realm of possibility and first and foremost the child's welfare has to come first and IF the tip is found credible and there is evidence that the child is in immediate danger, they will be removed immediately. The child is believed first and foremost and that is how it should be. However investigations take time, and a child's life could be in danger if they are with an abusive parent while an investigation goes on. People complain that they are taken too early when it turns out to be something else not abuse-related, but then they complain if little action is taken in the beginning when it turns out to be abusive. What is the lesser of two evils?

We do not yet know if what is ALLEGED about the chicken coop/collar is actually true.

It is easy and understandable to read something like this and automatically get angry at the parents, wish for stiff penalties, feel pity for the poor child. That MAY be the case here, but just as likely is that THE PARENTS MAY BE THE ONES WHO ARE VICTIMS.

Just as likely? Really? After a 6 week investigation?

No, it isn't "just as likely".