Menu

Autistic people are naturally drawn to water?

This:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/autistic-man-survives-week-ordeal-utah-desert-16768549

is an interesting article from today's news. It tells about the rescue of an autistic man in Utah. What fascinates me is the statement of the deputy who rescued him. He had just recently taken a course in rescuing people with autism, and he learned that they are naturally drawn to water. So he intensified his search near a river, and he found the man sitting in the river.

Drawn to water...You learn something new every day, I suppose.:001_smile:

Boy mine is. He would ride any slide in a water park, but wouldn't touch a rollercoaster. Swimming pools, wave pools, ocean, lake, rivers, he loves them all. He loves canoeing and white water rafting, even though he is not an outdoorsman or an adventure seeker.

Water.

Always water.

There are always a few tragic cases each year of Autistic children wandering away and they are later found dead because they were drawn to water and tried to go in unsupervised.

My son hates baths and can't stand having his hands washed but if we are near standing water he shouldn't be in he's been known to jump in without regard to safety.

We are considering an electronic bracelet for my son so if he does get out he could be found quicker. We don't live near a lake but it wouldn't take much standing water for him to have trouble in. Plus there are houses in our subdivision with swimming pools. If he managed to get into one of those it would not be good.

I found this to be true when I taught special needs preschool, particularly in regards to standing water. I read somewhere that drowning is the leading cause of death for autistic children. One of the autistic children I taught drowned in a pond, he ran straight for it when he got outside. People with Angelman's syndrome, which shares some characteristics with autism, are also drawn to water. Actor Colin Farrell's son has this, he said an interview that if his son was having a meltdown all they had to do was give him a bowl of water. He said he was instantly calmed and happy.

Neither has my son. BUT, as a baby I noticed that he loved to have his face covered in water. He loved to have a cup of water poured on his head, and playing outside he wanted the hose sprayed on the back of his head and splashed in his face.

As far as bodies of water are concerned he will go in and swim, but is fastidious about avoiding anything deeper than his waist.

My other son, on the other hand:glare:

We went to go see a house we might buy with a pool. My husband and the realitor and the older kids were all right next to my son who kept wanting to put his hand in the water and splash splash....I was sitting a bit back (preggo-top heavy).

well he fell in head first.

Luckily the realitor caught him by the shirt --poor kid was soaked, sucked up a bunch of water up his nose. He hates water on his face and head but likes it everywhere else. Anyways he was screaming from that. Luckily it wasnt in the deep end.

I am saying probably a no go for that house at this moment. If we do, it would have to be majorly fenced, gated, alarmed, etc

Mine is too! For years I had recurring nightmares of my ds getting out of the house and getting into the pool in our complex. I am so glad he is now able to swim a little bit at least enough to keep his head above water and make it to the side. I would still panic if he got out somehow on his own because people fly down the street that runs in front of our complex, but at least I know he wouldn't drown if he got into the pool.

That's interesting, but aren't most people drawn to water? Waterfront property is usually more expensive than the surrounding real estate.

Searching around water made good sense for anyone. I'm glad they found him and I'm glad the searcher who found him was able to apply something he'd learned recently in class. But if this anyone was alone in a desert for three weeks, about the only chance of finding him alive would be if the person had water.