Menu

MCT Lit

Mom-ninja.

I'm looking at the lit program for my rising 6th grader (dyslexic but loves to read). We haven't done any lit analysis so far.

Should I start with the 1st set of books even though it's for 3/4 grade? What would he miss if we jumped in with the 2nd set of books that are geared for 5/6?

We read wind in the willows using his book. It had 4 level analysis of some sentences. He points out some figures of speech and meter of writing.

We will do some of the second set this year. I think you can jump in at any point.

What I'd like to know are there literary discussions, terms, comprehension and such that he will miss by skipping the first set.

The sample pages tell about his philosophy, but doesn't actually show you what the "lessons" are and how it's set up.

I have a first set. I wouldn't say it teaches lit analysis. It has a guide that tells you how to direct discussions with some questions, but not much of literary discussions you might find in a curriculum like Mosdos. I hope I am making sence. So no, you won't miss anything if you jump in into the second set of books.

We read wind in the willows using his book. It had 4 level analysis of some sentences. He points out some figures of speech and meter of writing.

We will do some of the second set this year. I think you can jump in at any point.

Does he define most of the difficult words on the page as well? I am hoping the each book has most difficult words defined on each page.

Also, does he gives any commentary or footnotes on phrases or things that might take a little historical insight to understand?

Meaning there are questions for MLA style research papers. My son was obviously not ready for that. So there are different levels in the one teacher manual. You can discuss the questions or, as I said, write research papers on the topics. Or anything in between that.

It's very different from anything else I've used/seen. It's kind of hard to explain.

I don't know that I'll get level two. It's like I got the idea behind how he does it and I think I could use a similar approach on my own with any other books.

Thanks. I'll get the second set then if one set will teach me to use the approach. I think he'd like the second set books more.

Anyone know how his approach compares/contrasts to Teaching the Classics?