Menu

Raccoons!!!!

I just went to take out my dog and we heard a noise. She looks up at the tree and I am expecting to see a squirrel.

There were at least 5 raccoons in the tree!!!!!!!!

I called animal control but they are gone for the night.

I'm too scared to take her out for a walk now.

Is it normal for them to be out in the daytime?

Any advice?

It's normal for them to be hiding in a tree in the daytime. Why in the world are you scared? Put your dog on a leash and go. They will always run. A coon won't attack unless they are pushed into it.

I live in semi-crowded suburban neighborhood. I have never ever in my life seen a raccoon in any neighborhood I have lived in.

I was afraid it was going to attack us or my dog was going to bark at them and they were going to attack.

Well, here they have been known to take on a small dog, kill chickens and are ruthless about getting into the henhouses, and they do find a few with rabies every year...not many, but probably 8 or 9. So since one can't know if it has rabies until after it's dead and tested, which is too late for you so guess who's going on rabies vaccines at an EXTRAORDINARY PRICE TAG that some insurances won't cover, the ones that refuse to stay out of human territory - like the one that started coming up on my MIL's porch and wouldn't leave when she was out there, getting on it's hind legs within three feet of her and hissing at her king charles spaniel - end up on the wrong end of a hunting rifle. They don't have a natural predator here and the number of them is staggering. Lots of domestic chickens and ducks killed, garbage torn up (they use their paws very adeptly like hands and I've never met a regular garbage can lid they couldn't manage to get open), and bird feeders drug off or destroyed. They also like to eat, for whatever reason the naturalists do not know, one leg off of frogs and leave them without finishing them off. Three legged frogs...we see them hopping occasionally and I'm surprised at the resilience of the creatures because you'd think they'd die of shock, blood loss, and infections.

In our neck of the woods, we do not have any use for a pack of coons even if they are completely cute!

Faith

Well, here they have been known to take on a small dog, kill chickens and are ruthless about getting into the henhouses, and they do find a few with rabies every year...not many, but probably 8 or 9. So since one can't know if it has rabies until after it's dead and tested, which is too late for you so guess who's going on rabies vaccines at an EXTRAORDINARY PRICE TAG that some insurances won't cover, the ones that refuse to stay out of human territory - like the one that started coming up on my MIL's porch and wouldn't leave when she was out there, getting on it's hind legs within three feet of her and hissing at her king charles spaniel - end up on the wrong end of a hunting rifle. They don't have a natural predator here and the number of them is staggering. Lots of domestic chickens and ducks killed, garbage torn up (they use their paws very adeptly like hands and I've never met a regular garbage can lid they couldn't manage to get open), and bird feeders drug off or destroyed. They also like to eat, for whatever reason the naturalists do not know, one leg off of frogs and leave them without finishing them off. Three legged frogs...we see them hopping occasionally and I'm surprised at the resilience of the creatures because you'd think they'd die of shock, blood loss, and infections.

In our neck of the woods, we do not have any use for a pack of coons even if they are completely cute!

Faith

:iagree: DH is outside now putting up an electric fence around our chicken coop. They are horrible around here. Every morning we see 'evidence' of them all over the yard where the kids play. If the fence doesn't keep them away, we will have to take more drastic measures. They have not found a way into the coop yet, but I fear it is imminent. Of course, they probably wouldn't be so thick around here if one of our neighbors would STOP FEEDING THEM!!!! Raccoons, like any wildlife, are not pets, and should not be fed. Rant over. :D