Menu

Panic - Need Help Please

*breathing* *breathing* Ok, my DD is starting highschool courses in the August. We have been straight homeschooling but I was a little fearful of credits/transcripts, etc. So I found a box program I thought was going to work for us that resulted in a diploma from a private school. The box arrived and IT IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR US. It was basically a "what is the absolute minimum you can do to still say you graduated" kind of program.

Can anyone tell me the name of the school online that lets you homeschool but submit your records and they assign credits? I swear I saw a school like that but now of course can't find it.

My other option is to keep the program I have, but just augment it with all the info and assignments I think need to be there. I'm wondering if I will get a huge fight from DD though, because she will view it as "extra work".

I'm just so upset because we are in July now and I thought I had this resolved.

*Can anyone tell me the name of the school online that lets you homeschool but submit your records and they assign credits? I swear I saw a school like that but now of course can't find it.

There's more than one of those.

My other option is to keep the program I have, but just augment it with all the info and assignments I think need to be there. I'm wondering if I will get a huge fight from DD though, because she will view it as "extra work".

That's certainly an option. You have to decide if it's worth the battle with your dd, or if you and she can sit down and discuss the reasons what you bought is substandard.

*breathing* *breathing* Ok, my DD is starting highschool courses in the August. We have been straight homeschooling but I was a little fearful of credits/transcripts, etc. So I found a box program I thought was going to work for us that resulted in a diploma from a private school. The box arrived and IT IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR US. It was basically a "what is the absolute minimum you can do to still say you graduated" kind of program.

Can anyone tell me the name of the school online that lets you homeschool but submit your records and they assign credits? I swear I saw a school like that but now of course can't find it.

I'm just so upset because we are in July now and I thought I had this resolved.

It is July, yet all those schools are scrambling for students. I think you are okay and I feel for you--that sounds like a rip-off. We are going to make do with what we have that is college 4x4 and go from there. I know the lady- The Home Scholar-Lee Binz

http://www.thehomescholar.com/gold-care.php

has suggestions on transcripts and high school, she might be helpful in this regard.

Especially, since the homeschool market has expanded exponentially-crazy!

Luckily, this may be a simple stumbling stone to something better-best of luck! Char:chillpill:

You are probably thinking of NARHS. They don't offer any curriculum; you choose your own, homeschool, and then submit work samples and a daily journal at the end of the year for which they assign credit. You can take online classes with other schools, co-op classes, create your own course, whatever you want, and have all the credits recorded in one place.

There is also Kolbe, which is a private Catholic homeschool program. While they offer their own classical program, you can sign up for their recordkeeping program only, using your own materials, and simply submit samples to back up the grades you assign, which will be on their Kolbe transcript. You can also mix and match, using some of their curriculum and swapping out others.

Those are the 2 I know of. Most other diploma programs require you to use primarily the school's own materials, although they may grant credit for a certain number of outside/homeschool courses.

Worrying about a "bad fit" is why we chose courses from a variety of distance learning schools this year for my ds for Grade 9. Sorry it didn't work out; so frustrating. Best of luck.

Thank you all...I think I was looking at Clonlara before. Sue, did you go with them or just investigate?

Ahasrada, wow, you really are using a variety! How are you doing that? Are you "enrolled" with any of them or just using bits and pieces? Who will be issuing the diploma? The other school I looked at was Keystone.

Thank you guys, I have calmed down some. I have been ongoing nervous about high school and this pushed me over the edge. I would rather not say who I ordered from, I haven't seen them mentioned here on this forum anyway.

A friend is using them, and my DD wanted to try "what her friend was using". I should have known better, since this friend has different "educational priorities" than we have. Let's just say they have a lot of free time on their hands and they like it that way. I wasn't 100% sold on it and I should have listened to my instincts. Lesson learned!

Here is a recent past thread with recommendations and links to quite a few options!

Take a few deep breaths! You'll be fine! Hopefully you'll be able to return the box of curriculum for a refund, since you haven't used it and made the decision very soon after its arrival! And you still have a month or more until most schools start, so you have plenty of time to make your switch and learn about whatever new option you decide to go with! :)

SIDE NOTE: Also, tracking credits and creating your own transcript is not really so scary -- even if you have special circumstances such as need for NCAA sports eligibility, ivy league college admission, etc. Should you decide to go ahead and "do it yourself", here are some resources to get you started. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

HSLDA (informational articles and links)

Donna Young website (information and downloadable samples)

Lee Binz, The Home Scholar website (FREE video tutorials and articles on doing the administrative aspect of homeschool high school yourself)

Transcript Boot Camp DVD, Transcript Pro software (for a fee resource to track hours, count credits, and automatically create transcripts)

Total Transcript Solution, Lee Binz (for a fee package: personal, live counseling; info on how to make a transcript; transcript templates)

Transcripts Made Easy (Campbell) (for a fee book, informational resource)

Setting the Records Straight: How to Craft Homeschool Transcripts and Course Descriptions for College Admission and Scholarships (Binz) (for a fee book, informational resource on what to do to prepare for and transition into to college)

Software which tracks the hours and courses you enter, and then helps you create a transcript:

Edu-Track

Homeschool Tracker

Transcript Pro

Edited by Lori D.

I think I was looking at Clonlara before. Sue, did you go with them or just investigate?

I was totally panicked about hs'ing high school because of the NCAA. Because Clonlara has an actual building school, they are more respected, imo, than most online schools. Eventually, I calmed down about the NCAA and decided against Clonlara. I have a good impression of them, however.

HTH!