Menu

6th grade math - help

AimeeM

Autumn is a rising 6th grader. She has ALWAYS been a natural with math concepts. I *think* I made a mistake by using CLE math 5 with her last year. While she seemed to fly through the books, easily understanding the work... she has retained nothing. Nada. Zilch. I have to assume it was something with CLE, since this is the first issue we've ever had with her retaining math concepts.

So give me the in's and out's of your math program. Autumn is a visual learner, dyslexic, with working memory problems (obviously); reading is difficult for her (makes word problems a challenge) but math and science fairly easy and she finds them enjoyable.

We tried Saxon the year before CLE and it was a BUST. Tear inducing (for both of us). We tried Singapore... but only for a few weeks. It was a bit distracting and busy for her, but I'm not adverse to possibly giving it another shot.

The one issues: We plan to place her back in brick and mortar Catholic school after this next year. This is her last year at home. We need a math program that will allow her to seamlessly transition back to school - so nothing with glaring holes or a philosophy of "we'll reach it eventually" in the scope/sequence (the school does have advanced placement for math available, so I'm not concerned with her moving too far ahead).

Something conceptual and *possibly* mastery based instead of spiral? I thought she needed the review offered in a spiral program (with her working memory issues), but both spiral programs we've used (that she placed into easily) have been a bust now, so I'm leaning towards a mastery based programs.

Help? Pretty please :D.

Have you looked at Math Mammoth? It tops out at 6th grade, so you can't move into 7th grade work if she's flying, but if you need to review some 5th grade concepts it's pretty easy to speed up or skip sections you don't need.

We tried Singapore for a few weeks (too visually distracting and some conceptual leaps that were too great), RightStart which was a good fit for a couple years, then Math Mammoth. We're sticking with it til we have to find something else.

Amy

Have you looked at Math Mammoth? It tops out at 6th grade, so you can't move into 7th grade work if she's flying, but if you need to review some 5th grade concepts it's pretty easy to speed up or skip sections you don't need.

We tried Singapore for a few weeks (too visually distracting and some conceptual leaps that were too great), RightStart which was a good fit for a couple years, then Math Mammoth. We're sticking with it til we have to find something else.

Amy

I should have stated that we tried Math Mammoth just for their fractions and metric measurement. If I thought Singapore was distracting, it was nothing compared to MM; I thought my easy going daughter's head would explode. Incredibly *busy* sheets. I still have the PDF files for several MM concepts and I may try again to use them, but I can't use the entire series.