Menu

extracurricular question

I'm trying to plan out or extras for next year. So far, I know dd will continue gymnastics. I would love for her to go twice a week, but have not decided yer. She loves it and it's definitely her "thing". Today I signed up the boys for fall soccer. I also wanted tae kwon do for older ds, mostly for concentration, self-confidence.. things like that. I want to sign him up, but that would probably be too much, especially since I don't even know the soccer schedule yet and both boys will be on different teams.

So, what would you do? Wait until fall soccer season is over and then start tae kwon do or try to squeeze it all in? I think my older ds will probably want to do soccer again in the spring. My younger ds will be doing soccer for the first time so we'll see how it goes.

I guess I'm just not sure how to fit it all in? Sigh...

It really depends on the soccer schedule. How many practices will they have? I would definitely wait until you knew that schedule, especially if you have to sign up for a particular day of the week for Tae Kwon Do. Our Tang Soo Do (the precursor to Tae Kwon Do) is very flexible. We go twice a week any days between Mon-Thurs. My kids both just started gymnastics on Mondays and we go two of the other three days to Tang Soo Do. They are in separate classes in gymnastics, but the classes are back-to-back. If you were going to do Tae Kwon Do, I would have the whole family train together. It is excellent for all age levels and you would not believe how much it helps kids to grow in discipline and their abilities to use their bodies. Tae Kwon Do is really something that needs to be a constant for them to advance and not something that is continually stopped and started IMHO.

Good luck making decisions! I struggled a lot over adding gymnastics, but it isn't so bad being out of only three nights a week. When we did t-ball, it was 4-5 times a week. My son is going probably going to stop gymnastics during basketball and baseball seasons, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it!