Menu

My 5 y.o. is bored in math

He does not have all his addition/subtraction facts memorized, but many of them are. He could use maybe another week on making tens, but he is fabulous with graphs and probability and is bored with addition/subtraction. He has played around with multiplication/division on his own, but I haven't done anything formal.

Do we just keep moving forward? He tested end of 1st grade math on standardized testing in May, fwiw. I'm just hesitant to accelerate him b/c of his age. I don't want to push him or burn him out, but I'm afraid I'm ruining math for him each time I hand him another addition/subtraction worksheet. The other day he didn't even pick up a rod but filled it out from memory.

I don't know what to do with a fast processor! I've paged through Singapore 1 and other than maybe some word problems and telling time he's through it already.

Yes, I'd keep moving forward.

FWIW, my ds6 is not fond of addition/subtraction either, though he needs more work with bigger numbers on paper (his mental math is pretty good, as we practice a bit at bedtime, orally). He hasn't been taught a few key things yet ;). However, he loves, loves, loves multiplication. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with moving forward while continuing to practice addition/subtraction. As for facts, I'd try to make it fun, by using either real life games or games on the computer. That reminds me, I was going to show him Matho today, which my other kids found fun...

Just wanted to encourage you to think about math outside of the +/-/*/ skills. Games like Mancala, Othello, Advanced Mastermind. chess, Blockus......on days that you think he needs a break from the basics play games. Those types of multi-step strategy games do develop reasoning skills that are vital to mathematical thinking.

Also, play add/sub dominoes, 2 card flip up war (have to add the cards together to determine who wins), race up to 100 by rolling a die (have to add your new roll to your old score), etc.

But worksheets.....those I would use sparingly. ;)

I'd move ahead in Miquon or MEP. They keep the fun, puzzle/play aspect of math while moving on into brain-stretching areas.

Miquon is what he is doing, but he is just whizzing through it. It actually has too many problems for him. He really only has to try something once and he gets it, twice and it's memorized. He is just a quick study.

Just wanted to encourage you to think about math outside of the +/-/*/ skills. Games like Mancala, Othello, Advanced Mastermind. chess, Blockus......on days that you think he needs a break from the basics play games. Those types of multi-step strategy games do develop reasoning skills that are vital to mathematical thinking.

Also, play add/sub dominoes, 2 card flip up war (have to add the cards together to determine who wins), race up to 100 by rolling a die (have to add your new roll to your old score), etc.

I may have to play those games with him myself - he doesn't want to play them with his very spatial brother because he always gets beat. :lol:

I don't know if they have figured out the point of Mastermind yet, last time they tried it was mostly guessing, but my older may have better strategy now. I should probably pull out SET too, I haven't tried that with him yet, but they play a lot of Battleship, Shut the Box (which is kind of like dominoes), and Checkers. My older likes chess too, but I'm ashamed to admit I never learned how to play, so I'm not much help there. :blushing:

I can't wait until they are old enough for Rummikub, that's my all-time favorite game. I'm just so bad about thinking about these things as math.

Yes, I'll second the suggestion of using strategy games in place of math once or twice a week. FWIW, my oldest learned multiplication before addition. Move on... if you're a little ahead or learning out of order, so what? Either you'll end up with a math whiz or you'll eventually hit a wall and be able to slow down for a while. This young, forget about it. Just keep moving.

Move on... if you're a little ahead or learning out of order, so what? Either you'll end up with a math whiz or you'll eventually hit a wall and be able to slow down for a while.
:iagree:I'd keep moving on. I have 2 kids that are particularly bright with math. DS10 will be doing Saxon 87 this year, and DD7 is almost done with Saxon 3, has mastered addition, subtraction and multiplication with Xtramath.org, and is working on division. In our case, my kids who love math seem to thrive when given more. It's like a game to them and they can't get enough. They lose interest when it's too slow.

as someone else here recently said (sorry I don't remember who) there is so much more interesting math when you get past arithmetic - let him move on to get to algebra and the fun stuff.

And go ahead and teach him rummikub - my girls started playing it at 5 with some help and really enjoy it. Might as well do something you find fun, too!:D

DD does math worksheets 3 days out of a week (accelerated), and the other 2 days, we use living math books and games such as the ones below.

Origami

Mastermind

Connect 4

Think fun math dice

Rush hour

Tangram puzzles

Pentominoes

Kakuro -addition

Sudoku

Checkers/chinese checkers

HTH

Miquon is what he is doing, but he is just whizzing through it. It actually has too many problems for him. He really only has to try something once and he gets it, twice and it's memorized. He is just a quick study.

I may have to play those games with him myself - he doesn't want to play them with his very spatial brother because he always gets beat. :lol:

I don't know if they have figured out the point of Mastermind yet, last time they tried it was mostly guessing, but my older may have better strategy now. I should probably pull out SET too, I haven't tried that with him yet, but they play a lot of Battleship, Shut the Box (which is kind of like dominoes), and Checkers. My older likes chess too, but I'm ashamed to admit I never learned how to play, so I'm not much help there. :blushing:

I can't wait until they are old enough for Rummikub, that's my all-time favorite game. I'm just so bad about thinking about these things as math.

I do sit w/my little ones while they play these types of games. Lots of times, they are my "partner.' Othello and Mancala they can play on their own but they don't have strategy and I help them think through their steps. Dice games/dominoes/card "war".....those are math time w/me.

Those ideas sound great. This is a question rather than a real suggestion, due to my ignorance, but is it possible that a game like "Go", the Chinese button placing game, could develop spatial reasoning? (I was trying to think of a game that relates to the skills in geometry.) We also used to play a game where you turned cards face down in a rectangular array, and tried to remember where their duplicates were, concentration? Kids are often better at this than adults, which is fun for them.

Just throwing out there, if the child doesn't tolerate games (as in, Button) we had good fortune with the Wrap-Ups and daily Jumping Math drills (pick a set of facts, I ask a question and hop, he answers and hops, repeat. Not easy in the third trimester, though :). In that case you do Waddle Math ... )

When we encountered this we moved on to MEP where the numbers are small and they work towards automaticity with those facts, but they still work with interesting puzzles and concepts.

This is what we're doing as well. The MEP "puzzles" are great for helping to cement the math facts without a lot of boring repetition. I'd recommend browsing through the worksheets in MEP Level 1 & just pick out those you think would be interesting - you don't need to do every one. And we supplement with games, living math books and random math activities.

:iagree: Also, I'd try adding in a month of Dreambox. (I sound like I'm a Dreambox rep, but I'm not. :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by jenbrdsly

At his age....I would recommend introducing geometry, mental math tricks, yes - chess, etc.

But don't shy away from worksheets. While they seem painful, they are necessary for acceleration and won't (in my experience) turn your child off math in the long-run. In fact, they make kids *faster* and that is one of the major keys to advancement AND confidence.

I pushed the worksheets on my son from an early age. Yeah he cried a few times....but now he's teaching himself calculus and still only 7.5 years old.